1. Let me give this a try:

Vertigo to me is about some guy with a lot of problems, entering a club to find some distraction. Being there with the music he doesn't like and the people he didn't want to meet, his head becomes dizzy and he wants to leave when he suddenly sees this girl. And he focuses on her and that finally gives him something he can feel, a fixing point in his dizzy mind. And he feels a tiny bit of salvation.

My $0,02.
  2. Originally posted by yeahLet me give this a try:

'''''''''

My $0,02.

Worth at least a dollar...

Very nice. Like that interpretation a lot

D'you want to join regularly or will you dip in as and when?
  3. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

Worth at least a dollar...

Very nice. Like that interpretation a lot

D'you want to join regularly or will you dip in as and when?

I think I'll just drop in every now and then. Depends on the songs. Sometimes Bono leaves me really clueless...
  4. Originally posted by yeah[..]

I think I'll just drop in every now and then. Depends on the songs. Sometimes Bono leaves me really clueless...

Fair enough. I can understand that. Much the same myself.
  5. i'll be a reader of this topic. I just couldn't be arsed performing surgery on individual songs.
  6. I'm usually more of a reader than a poster, but i relly liked this idea, i'm always interested in discussing lyrics!!

now, vertigo. I don't have a personal interpretation, i think its more related to bono.
    i thinks that he can't decide wich one is more important : if its the heart or the head - fellings or thoughts, and because of that hes at a place called vertigo.
    he's confused, doesn't know in what to believe.
    (...)
    Your head can't rule your heart
    A feeling is so much stronger
    Than a thought
    Your eyes are wide
    And though your soul
    It can't be bought
    Your mind can wander
    (...)
    in this part shows that he trully believes in the power of his heart (that can mean love, of ever his faith), but even when he knows for sure, his mind still wanders.
    (...)
    The night is full of holes
    As bullets rip the sky
    Of ink with gold
    They twinkle
    As the boys play rock and roll
    They know that they can't dance
    At least they know
    (..)
    here, i thinks he is talking about both sides of his life - his day job and his extracurricular activities (politics mostly).
    (...)
    I can't stand the beats
    I'm asking for the check
    Girl with crimson nails
    Has Jesus 'round her neck
    Swinging to the music
    Swinging to the music
    (...)
    He realizes that this world of politics isn't as simple as he liked to be, and that the check will be hard to get. And then he sees this girl, and she gives him hope. She can stand the beat, cause she's swinging to the music. Well, if she can, why can't he?
    The rest of the music goes around these lines...
    One thing i found pretty interesting is that he spend the song(at the choruses) saying that he is in Vertigo ("I'm at a place called Vertigo"), but at the last chorus he changes that to "We're at a place called Vartigo". I think that' s a way of saying that he's not the only one who has this doubts. Maybe others aren't interested in politics or music, but the heart x head thing is always present.
    hope you'll like it!
    Ps: sorry about the big post....
  7. Originally posted by _BrownEyedGirl_
    hope you'll like it!
    Ps: sorry about the big post....

I like it...and you haven't seen long! Check out the latest reviews on the bootleg round table
    Pretty good review, I hadn't noticed the change to "We're at a place called vertigo"...interesting point!
  8. this seems a really great explanation for this verse. You could image Bono being at some function or other, (probably political) not really feeling as if he belonged there and wishing to be somewhere else. But then his attention was drawn (not to the girl with crimson nails, or the music which he probably didn't like) but to the cross around her neck and that reminded him why he was there in the first place.
    Lady G
  9. last but not least I hope!!

Vertigo,
    For me, it’s an amazing song… not one of my favorites, but still it’s a great song…
    My interpretation of the song was pretty much said already by all of your posts.

Although there is something I want to say, and the only thing I really don’t get is why he uses Spanish. When the song came out, I remember that some friends commented that the Spanish was due to the tour making a leg through Latin America, but I really never thought it to be true… they did make a leg through L.A. but I don't think Vertigo has something to do with it....

Lyrics in this song are very confusing and are very abstract, at first it's difficult to really understand what's been said. When I listen to this particular song, it makes me feel strong…. I don’t really know why, but makes me feel like I can overcome any situation against me and turn it favorable. Maybe is because of the struggle in the song between mind and heart!! Sometimes they plays tricks to each other, in order for you to take a decision in one or another way… most of the times the choice is right, but sometimes it’s simply wrong!!

Well, this song gives me confidence… maybe it's that verse: and though your soul / it can't be bought / your mind can wander

I promise to make a better post for the next song…

and very nice posts from everyone else!!
    Cheers!!

10. this is getting pretty interesting!! when is the next song?? lol
    (I know it's just next week)
    i never really got the spanish either... but i dare say that not ever bono knows where that came from!
  11. Originally posted by JohnnyVOXXl
    I promise to make a better post for the next song…

Good God. Then we're all in for a treat. Wasn't much wrong with that one.
  12. Originally posted by _BrownEyedGirl_this is getting pretty interesting!! when is the next song?? lol
    (I know it's just next week)
    i never really got the spanish either... but i dare say that not ever bono knows where that came from!

Yea...I don't see any special reasons behind it either...maybe just making it sound cool.