1. Originally posted by ladygodiva:Hello Guys. It's so good to tune in to this topic again. the only problem is that it gets a bit addictive.
    Ali is great to hear from you.
    I am a bit of an occasional visitor which I regret 'cos I love this this site.
    OK, I dont want to waffle but just one small comment on Discotheque and that it that there are many layers to that song. It's about love, it's about religion and I think it's also about the singer who wants a hit record as well as singing about what really matters to him. Also it may be about drugs. I'm certainly no expert but it seems that 'Chewing bubble gum' could refer to a way of ingesting drugs. But maybe you could also interpret 'Chewing bubble gum' as singing songs which are just verbally giving out hot air and teenage trivia. OK, X Factor comes to mind if you like. The current battle for no 1 slot this Christmas is quite relevant to this song I think. Does Bono write a no 1 hit or a song with a deeper meaning that may just not bring home the success that he would like?

I am afraid that I can certainly not agree that we as U2 fans read too much into the song meanings. Very much the other way. I do not think that we have any idea just how intricate these songs really are. But the path of finding out is so very thrilling.

Happy Christmas All
    Lady G

P.S. - Berlin was a gem. But I wish that I had a better view.

'Bubblegum' is a pretty standard trope for things that are cheap, popular and disposable. 'You know you're chewing bubblegum' seems to be saying 'you know it has no substance, but you're enjoying it anyway'.

2. I wish to revive this topic. If anyone is with me, I will open a new topic...
  3. I'm with you!!
  4. -double post-
  5. Originally posted by fabianI wish to revive this topic. If anyone is with me, I will open a new topic...

Why opening a new one when there's this one already up and full of interpretations? I'd say let this one run.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]

Why opening a new one when there's this one already up and full of interpretations? I'd say let this one run.

I would like to have to first post, to keep track who's to chose a song, which songs we will explain et cetera.

But if you want me to keep it to this one...
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]

I think a new thread would be easier. This thread is already pretty cluttered and it would be nice with a thread that's just new and fresh. Just like there's a new thread for the new bootleg round table, it would be quite messy if all of those round tables existed in the same thread.
  8. Aha, I didn't know you wanted to do a TRUE round table of lyric interpretations with turns and people reviewing etc. OK, then feel free to open a new topic if you wish.
  9. The new topic can be found here.