1. Well the Old Testament is the Torah. The new testament is something of its own...but I'm guessing really religious people know the Torah...I am very reform and know Moses and Abraham and stuff like that but thats about the extent of it....basically I'm not too familiar with Jonah and Jesus..i know he was a traitor and stuff but the last supper and all that history...i dont know much about it

I didn't know Until the end of the world was about Jonah's betrayal until recently...haha

Well, I'm Christian..(Protestant) and I know the Bible too, but I always thought that the only difference between Jews and Christians was that we accept Jesus birth and coming to this world and Jews don't.
    And again there's a difference, because the one who betrayed Jesus was called Judas (at least, that's what the Bible tells me) and not Jonah. Jonah was some prophet in the Old Testament.
    It's nice to talk about faith and religion with other people

But we're getting far too off-topic..this is General Topic chatter..
  2. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

Well, I'm Christian..(Protestant) and I know the Bible too, but I always thought that the only difference between Jews and Christians was that we accept Jesus birth and coming to this world and Jews don't.
    And again there's a difference, because the one who betrayed Jesus was called Judas (at least, that's what the Bible tells me) and not Jonah. Jonah was some prophet in the Old Testament.
    It's nice to talk about faith and religion with other people

But we're getting far too off-topic..this is General Topic chatter..

your right..i meant Judas...don't know why I said Jonah...haha...just goes to show
  3. I am so sorry not to have posted on this topic before now. But i was watching telly with hubby tonight for a while (he is very much not into U2) and that is how i twill be sometimes. I may not always pick up on this every night. I am very excited about the response to this topic suggestion though, because I am usually someone who just reads other people's posts about the band. To really participate and for people to listen to my views is great. Plan B has my support and a week sounds ok but maybe we could think again if the discussions seem to dry up quickly, because that's when the whole thing could get boring. If that happens perhaps we could limit it to maybe 3 days. But let's see. The idea of people going away and listening more closely to the chosen song is what i really find the most exciting about this whole thing. As I said originally I was never very impressed with the music of Vertigo and it is one of the very few U2 songs that i will skip when playing a cd, especially when travelling to work in my car. But that's the next point that I would like to make about this song. I think that that is part of the whole thing.
    Why do I skip it? Because the music is really too 'jazzy' 'pop', I don't know. But it's not easy listening.
    And that's another point of this song. We tend to listen to what we want to hear and have a habit of changing the TV channel when we do not want to hear the bad news from the rest of the world.
    'Fact is fiction, TV a reality'.
    The differences in the religious beliefs of people taking part in this discussion makes it rather difficult to explain where a lot of the U2 song lyrics come from, as the Christian Bible is very much a source for U2 quotations. But the fact that we as U2 fans from different parts of the world are getting together and sharing a common understanding of the fundamental idea of 'one' religion proves that U2 is by far bigger and more important that just a rock band.
    p.s. - any further thoughts on Vertigo?
    How about?
    'The night is full of holes
    As bullets rip the sky
    Of ink with gold'
    i'm really not sure about this but I think that 'bullets rip the sky of ink with gold' could be referring to whatever is signed by USA- 'ink', maybe their agreement in cancellation of 3rd world debt' has not been fulfilled because of a want for more money 'gold'.
    Please someone take it from here. Thanks to all who have shown interest in this subject for discussion.
    Lady G
  4. Ok. I am very impatient. But I think that maybe a week will be too long. I have the next song in mind. I want to talk about 'Discotheque'. Definite religious influences but nothing at all biblical.
    Ok - sorry I'll be patient.

lady G
  5. Yep. Be patient

It needs time to take off. Give it a chance. It'll work fine. Just store up those good ideas
  6. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

Do you want to be added so you can chose songs? I've tentatively put you on in the hope you say yes...

sure why not.
  7. I'll be in - I'm sure most can do this considering you don't have to really download anything (and YouTube has most of the videos there you can stream from). But I'd have to go with B. It's just a better choice. Do a week for opinions and it's a bloody good idea - I really like it.
  8. Originally posted by drewhigginsI'll be in - I'm sure most can do this considering you don't have to really download anything (and YouTube has most of the videos there you can stream from). But I'd have to go with B. It's just a better choice. Do a week for opinions and it's a bloody good idea - I really like it.

It really is much easier and takes much less time than the BRT. You don't have to download, you don't have to listen to a 1-2 hour show...and writing isn't that hard, you've been hearing the song all this time you surely have something about it in your mind.

It's great that we're having so many people, so far:

Ali, Lady G, Johnny, Robbie, wtshnnfb01, Justin, Casper, Dan, Jordan (jcbasket) and Drew.
  9. Originally posted by Ali709[..]Ali, Lady G, Johnny, Robbie, wtshnnfb01, Justin, Casper, Dan, Jordan (jcbasket) and Drew.

Ha hem Who's managing this topic?....

Nice one. This is really taking off.

Several of you who've signed up still to post on Vertigo though...
  10. Yes please, lets have some more opinions. It's very exciting.

Lady G (being patient as instructed)

11. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

Ha hem Who's managing this topic?....

lol...I knew you would react!! the bold feature is not manager-exclusive
  12. Originally posted by Ali709[..]
    lol...I knew you would react!! the bold feature is not manager-exclusive

Well, you have to be very bold to tread on my turf once it's been granted

Listen to Lady G people. Where are your views?