1. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

I assumed you'd be choosing actually Ali as you got this runnning. Can we do that this week then go with LadyG's suggestion next week? Just so it gets done. If we wait to vote then it will take too long and I've only popped on tonight.

Alright then...Discotheque it is!
  2. Originally posted by Ali709[..]

Awesome!
    sorry I haven't showed up lately... but up to my nose of work!!!
    I'll post a review later!
    Cheers!

3. Originally posted by Ali709[..]

Meaning of Lyrics Week 2:-

Song of the week is Discotheque

You can reach
    But you can't grab it
    You can hold it, control it
    No, you can't bag it

You can push
    But you can't direct it
    Circulate, regulate, oh no
    You cannot connect it

You know you're chewing bubblegum
    You know what that is
    But you still want some
    You just can't get enough
    Of that lovie dovie stuff

You get confused
    But you know it
    Yeah, you hurt for it, work for it, love
    You don't always show it

Let's go
    Let's go
    Let's go
    Discotheque

Let's go
    Let's go
    Discotheque

You're looking for the one
    But you know you're somewhere else instead
    You want to be the song
    Be the song that you hear in your head

Love...Love...
    Love...Love...
    Love...

It's not a trick
    'Cause you can't learn it
    It's the way you don't pay, that's okay
    'Cause you can't earn it

You know what that is
    But you still want some

Let's go
    Let's go
    Discotheque

Go go
    Go go
    Discotheque

You're looking for the one
    But you know you're somewhere else instead
    You want to be the song
    Be the song that you hear in your head

Love...
    (You want heaven in your heart)
    (Heaven in your heart)
    (The sun, the moon, and the stars)

But you take what you can get
    'Cause it's all that you can find
    But you know there's something more
    Tonight, tonight, tonight

Ha...ha...
    Ha...ha...
    Ha...ha...
    Ha...

(Boom Cha) (Boom Cha) Discotheque
    (I can't get, I can't, not enough)

Music: U2
    Lyrics: Bono and The Edge
    Produced by: Flood
    Recorded by: Mark "Spike" Stent and Howie B.
    Mixed by: Mark "Spike" Stent
    Additional Mixing by: Howie B.
    Assisted by: Conal Markey
    Inspirational decks and loops: Howie B. Conatains sample from "Fane" performed by Freeform and written by Somon Pike, courtesy of Skam Records

We're expecting reviews from Ali, Lady G, Johnny, Aaron, me; but anyone can post their views. More the merrier.

I'll try and collate some of the opinions on Vertigo together at some stage...
  4. Wow...amazing as always Dan!
    I'll post the review some time this week.
  5. Hi there. As Ali has chosen the song does that mean that he should post first? or does it not matter?
    I'm dying to comment on this song and i love Ali for choosing it.
    Lady G
  6. Originally posted by ladygodivaHi there. As Ali has chosen the song does that mean that he should post first? or does it not matter?
    Lady G

your topic, your rules. Posting in any order should be fine though
  7. Originally posted by ladygodivaHi there. As Ali has chosen the song does that mean that he should post first? or does it not matter?
    Lady G

Fire away LadyG. No order rule on posting. If we did that in the BRT sometimes things would never get reviewed...
  8. Much to say, but then I'm from an Irish background and we all know that they have a lot to say. Firstly thanks so much to Ali for choosing the one song that I really wanted to review but thought that perhaps no-one else would want to discuss.
    'Pop' - the album that I really disliked. Only a U2 fan since I first saw 'Elevation Boston' on TV in 2001, I worked my way backwards through the U2 Catalogue. When I came to 'POP' I had to double check that I had bought an album by the band that I fell in love with while listening to ATYCLB. This was not at all what I was looking for. I put the album away for quite some time and thought that the band had made a big mistake with this one.
    I can't remember how long it took but after a while I decided to try again this CD that I didn't play ever. I think I understood U2 a little better and realised that I needed to listen a bit more closely to this band than I had ever done before.
    'POP' ---- WOW It's a wonderful album. I didn't like it because I wasn't listening properly. It's a discussion of faith, it's a question of faith and 'Discotheque' is the first song questioning the need for popularity and success of the band weighed against the need to produce songs which are not as mainstream in their appeal but are genuine in their expressions of faith and feelings.
    One thing that it is not is a dance song or a pop song.
    'You know you're chewing bubblegum
    You know what that is but you still want some
    You just can't get enough of that lovie dovie stuff '
    'Bubblegum is the pop culture of youth, the music that's in everyone's head and of course all top bands want to be 'top of the pops'
    but 'you know what that is'.Iit's pretty shallow, but 'the lovely dovie stuff' is referring to the love and admiration of the pop public towards the ban. And of course when it's part of the job I'm sure that the lovie dovie stuff is appreciated by Bono and all others who look to the public to feed their ego.

'You get confused but you know it
    Yeah you hurt for it work for it Love
    You don't always show it '

This is Bono's admission that he needs to be admired as a popular artist and works very hard to be in that status, dosn't always show that he cares one way or the other.
    'you want to be the song
    the song that you hear in your head' - The most popular top 20 song on the radio in the morning when you wake up, the one you hum all day.

'but you take what you can get
    'cos it's all that you can find
    oh you know there's something more
    but tonight, tonight, tonight '

This to me seems to indicate that sometimes the music of U2 is perhaps a little more 'popular' than they would wish it to be in order to make it appeal to a more general public.
    'you take what you can get'???
    'Oh you know there's something more' ???

But perhaps I'm wrong there and it may refer to other pop groups who are producing music of the 'bubble gum' type who would like to write songs with deeper meanings like U2 but are going towards the popularity of the music before the depth of meaning.

I could go forever. But all I can say is that this song is uncomplicated and was written I think in fun in some respects and is similar to 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' in the way it is misinterpreted. SBS was not a rebel song and this is not a pop song. Both songs are the opposite to the way many people see them.

Over to you Ali. - Lady G

9. nice take on the song...lady g...i will wait till Ali and everyone else post interpretations
  10. Can I play please?
  11. Originally posted by bonosraincomeCan I play please?

Of course. Fire away
  12. Discothèque:

About XTC use imho. Major parts of the lyrcis can be taken that way. Some examples:
    Discos were the place where most of these drugs (especially ecstacy) were taken.

You can reach
    But you can't grab it

A drug addict who can't get what he needs.

You can push
    But you can't direct it
    Circulate, regulate, oh no
    You cannot connect it

The effect the drug has on the addict. You can take ecstacy but you can never direct it.

You know what that is
    But you still want some

Love doves are a sort of ecstasy. Bubblegum helps to avoid a sore throat while using e./ Bubblegum might also be an image: You know that the drug is bad for you but you just need more and take it again and again and again.

You get confused
    But you know it
    Yeah, you hurt for it, work for it, love
    You don't always show it

The drug makes you dizzy, you know that but don't care, it's the mst important thing in your life. You'd do anything to get it but try to keep up the facade.

But you take what you can get
    'Cause it's all that you can find
    But you know there's something more

You're desperate for drugs, so you take all that you can get. You're searching for the ultimate kick.