1. No one seems to want to do Vertigo anymore. Want to do surrender?
  2. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01No one seems to want to do Vertigo anymore. Want to do surrender?

Whoah there man. I'm all for keenness and motivation but Lady G hasn't even looked back yet and it's her topic.

The rules we've agreed above state that anyone who wants to has until next Tuesday to write about the song of the week. By default that's Vertigo this week.

I'm sure we can consider your suggestion for next week. A little patience please in the meantime. Give Vertigo a try...
  3. I always just thought it was rhymin nonsense about a nightclub. Never really cared for it much.
  4. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01I always just thought it was rhymin nonsense about a nightclub. Never really cared for it much.

But that's your interpretation of it's meaning. Brilliant. And very succinct. Nice one
  5. Well. I think it's about a concert. A U2 show. It's an essay between a band at the top of their career and their fans.
    "Lights go down, it's dark"
    House lights at the stadium

"A feeling's so much stronger than a thought" and "Except you give me something I can feel, feel"
    Bono's best performances - and the band's - come when they get a 'feeling' off the crowd

"Bullets rip the sky"
    Could be a literal reference to Bullet The Blue Sky - always a staple of the live show

"Boys play rock and roll
    They know they can’t dance
    At least they know"

Pretty self-explanatory I think

"The girl with crimson nails
    Has Jesus round her neck
    Swinging to the music
    Swinging to the music"

I've always pictured one of those girls he gets up on stage during WOWY, LIB or such. Maybe he puts the rosary he wears around them

"All of this, all of this can be yours
    All of this, all of this can be yours"

They are just like one of us and it could very easily be one of us who is up there in place of them.

But this bit's what's always clinched it for me:-

"Hello hello
    We’re at a place called Vertigo
    Lights go down and all I know
    Is that you give me something
    I can feel your love teaching me how
    Your love is teaching me how, how to kneel
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah"

We, the audience, give him something - fuel some need that all the best rockstars have. And it's an almost religious experience and / or our faith in the band helps reaffirm his own faith in God.

Just my thing. I suck at this really. I'm quite shallow when it comes to songs - I just listen and go with the flow. I rarely look for meaning. Maybe I'll stick to just managing this one...
  6. Originally posted by djrlewisWell. I think it's about a concert. A U2 show. It's an essay between a band at the top of their career and their fans.
    "Lights go down, it's dark"
    House lights at the stadium

"A feeling's so much stronger than a thought" and "Except you give me something I can feel, feel"
    Bono's best performances - and the band's - come when they get a 'feeling' off the crowd

"Bullets rip the sky"
    Could be a literal reference to Bullet The Blue Sky - always a staple of the live show

"Boys play rock and roll
    They know they can’t dance
    At least they know"

Pretty self-explanatory I think

"The girl with crimson nails
    Has Jesus round her neck
    Swinging to the music
    Swinging to the music"

I've always pictured one of those girls he gets up on stage during WOWY, LIB or such. Maybe he puts the rosary he wears around them

"All of this, all of this can be yours
    All of this, all of this can be yours"

They are just like one of us and it could very easily be one of us who is up there in place of them.

But this bit's what's always clinched it for me:-

"Hello hello
    We’re at a place called Vertigo
    Lights go down and all I know
    Is that you give me something
    I can feel your love teaching me how
    Your love is teaching me how, how to kneel
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah"

We, the audience, give him something - fuel some need that all the best rockstars have. And it's an almost religious experience and / or our faith in the band helps reaffirm his own faith in God.

Just my thing. I suck at this really. I'm quite shallow when it comes to songs - I just listen and go with the flow. I rarely look for meaning. Maybe I'll stick to just managing this one...

Quite shallow? Great post, Dan! You don't look shallow to me...I always look for the meaning of a song. Even the crappiest song can make my day if there is a good meaning behind it. I never interpretated Vertigo like you do..
  7. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

Quite shallow? Great post, Dan! You don't look shallow to me...I always look for the meaning of a song. Even the crappiest song can make my day if there is a good meaning behind it. I never interpretated Vertigo like you do..

Cheers Casper. Very kind

I like hearing what others have to say too. You joining us on this one?
  8. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

Cheers Casper. Very kind

I like hearing what others have to say too. You joining us on this one?

Yes, I'll join, but I can't promise that I'll post all the time..My interpretation of Vertigo will be here as the week almost ends, I think.
  9. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

Yes, I'll join, but I can't promise that I'll post all the time..My interpretation of Vertigo will be here as the week almost ends, I think.

Excellent job. I've added you. I don't expect I'll post every week either but I'll enjoy reading them and choosing a song.
  10. i think the idea is great...but I am Jewish....which isn't fair because 80% of Bono's lyrics are about faith and the bible and psalms and stuff like that...so I would prob be bad at this game..but ill try
  11. Originally posted by Jcbasketi think the idea is great...but I am Jewish....which isn't fair because 80% of Bono's lyrics are about faith and the bible and psalms and stuff like that...so I would prob be bad at this game..but ill try

How you mean bad? Jewish people know the bible too, don't they? At least the The Old Testament, or am I wrong?

12. How you mean bad? Jewish people know the bible too, don't they? At least the The Old Testament, or am I wrong?

Well the Old Testament is the Torah. The new testament is something of its own...but I'm guessing really religious people know the Torah...I am very reform and know Moses and Abraham and stuff like that but thats about the extent of it....basically I'm not too familiar with Jonah and Jesus..i know he was a traitor and stuff but the last supper and all that history...i dont know much about it

I didn't know Until the end of the world was about Jonah's betrayal until recently...haha