1. nice review. i don't particularly care for most of the album. i am a river is still my favourite, with outside, feast and the famine and something from nothing rounding out the only tracks i even slightly care to hear again. but after wasting light, nothing was ever going to touch that album
  2. The Feast and the Famine is the only real good song on the album, but it is typical Foo Fighters. It's easy for them to make a song like that. They need to experiment vastly or they'll end up becoming a predictable act and will bore people out.
  3. I actually like the album. It's not great but their not known for great albums , more for great songs. Wasting Light was the rare exception. It's just funny in light of Taylor's comments because SOI is miles better than Sonic Highways.
  4. Originally posted by Gridlock:What Did I Do/God as My Witness sounds pretty bland to me. Reminds too much of something like Lynyrd Skynyrd or Kid Rock and that is not a good thing for me. This sounds more like a b-side. I haven't listened to the rest of the record so I'm hoping there would be even a couple of nice ones.

The God is my Witness part of the song is awesome after the bland start. The solo (Gary Clark Jr.?) is pretty great.
  5. I saw some ridiculous goon post a comment on a Facebook post about this being "One of the riskiest albums ever recorded," obviously in reference to it being something "nobody had ever done before."....that was a hoot.

Few things:

1. First and foremost, the album is not good.

2. I think Sonic Highways could have been a cool series for HBO, where then maybe these songs were written as jams with certain people much like Sound City, and released as a soundtrack. As a Foo Fighters Record, this doesn't hold up.

3. Just because nobody's ever done it before doesn't mean you need to do it. I have a hard time believing even the band can't see that this is sub-par when stacked up to their last several couple albums. What's next, an album recorded while on a diet of strictly spaghetti? Nobody's ever done it before! You know what, as long as it rocks and doesn't half-put me to sleep, I'd be fine with it.
  6. So disappointing
  7. The series is pretty cool imo, but the album is weak.
  8. yeah the songs are OK...Wasting Light set the bar pretty high for me
  9. Giving it my first listen here...Some good songs, but definetely not their greatest album.
  10. Brisbane and Sydney here i come foos
  11. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:I saw some ridiculous goon post a comment on a Facebook post about this being "One of the riskiest albums ever recorded," obviously in reference to it being something "nobody had ever done before."....that was a hoot.

Few things:

1. First and foremost, the album is not good.

2. I think Sonic Highways could have been a cool series for HBO, where then maybe these songs were written as jams with certain people much like Sound City, and released as a soundtrack. As a Foo Fighters Record, this doesn't hold up.

3. Just because nobody's ever done it before doesn't mean you need to do it. I have a hard time believing even the band can't see that this is sub-par when stacked up to their last several couple albums. What's next, an album recorded while on a diet of strictly spaghetti? Nobody's ever done it before! You know what, as long as it rocks and doesn't half-put me to sleep, I'd be fine with it.

To me it's kinda like Rattle and Hum, and I only say that because I'm so familiar with U2's work. On top of that, the HBO series is great, until the end of each episode. Don't get me wrong, the performances and songs are good (not great), but to me the whole thing feels sort of lame. They go to Nashville, learn about country, then write a song that sounds nothing like it, but Dave sort of plagiarizes from his interviews to make it seem like they've learned something. I suppose the effect that it's supposed to have is having the opposite effect on me. I don't see that as neat, I see it as cheap.