1. First things first, awesome personal anecdote about the show! And thank you so much for sharing this one with us!

Unfortunately I don't have as strong personal ties, so my winded opinions are much more off-the-cuff...

In general, I'm beginning to agree with your statement about audience recordings. When I first started listening to boots, I believed I wanted lots of audience, when what I really like most are professionally mixed, official live releases because they have high audio quality but also crowd energy in the right moments, so excuse me if this is an "artificial" opinion that bootleg enthusiasts probably tend to disagree with.

That being said, I NEVER understood the power of recordings and performances like ZooTV Dublin or LoveTown Dublin until I later listened to concerts which did not sound NEARLY as good... and then I realized that 95% of bootlegs don't sound that good. So I've made a helpful distinction since I first started.

Now onto the show. Overall, I enjoyed it because it was an "EARLY" show. To me, "early" means pre-Joshua Tree Tour, because they were still being introduced, "Ladies and gentlemen, U2!" and they didn't have the massive-scale show they would have in only 2 years. I hear this recording and think of bands I see nowadays who aren't world superstars so they come onstage in a modest fashion. Realizing that U2 came from these same humble roots makes me appreciate all those other bands so much more.

This show had high energy in my opinion, and was very loose. By loose I mean this: you ever notice how U2's performance in Rattle And Hum movie seems so EPIC and Bono's movements so... DELIBERATE? Why is that? I believe it's because of a documentary shot (possibly an R&H outtake) where Bono says they had to choose between playing for the audience and playing for the cameras... and at the last minute... they decided to play for the cameras!!! Can you believe it?

Well, this show was NOT played "for the cameras" by any means.

QUESTION:
    -What is Bono doing during long instrumental breaks?
    ---Pride #1: (2:30, "Shh")
    ---Bad: 1st 2 minutes

COMMENT:
    -This may sound harsh, but ADAM IS ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS AT SEVERAL PARTS. Let me rephrase that: he's come a long way, even since Unforgettable Fire.
    ---Sort of Homecoming (4:34 onward): Adam plays out of key
    ---Bad (2:40): Adam misses his signature sliding, "booming" bass note the way he usually enters the song
    ---Pride #2 (whole song): Adam's low E string is a half-step too sharp. He doesn't go 10 seconds in the whole song without hitting the E string, and thus playing a wrong note.

HILARIOUS:
    -Knockin' On Heaven's Door (3:14): Bono sings, "I get so high, and I don't know the words of the tune"
    REFERENCE I HIGHLY recommend you listen to 2001-06-06 Elevation Boston "People Get Ready", 2nd verse: "People get ready when you don't have the lyrics
    You gotta make up your tune as you go along
    It's muscular memory a rock star depends on
    When you don't have the printout like Frank Sinatra had goin' on"

OVERALL:
    I think I've spent most of my life as a U2 fan who put them up on a pedestal as these perfect people and musicians. One thing this show has given me, between the decent but so-so audio quality of the recording, and the "rookie" mistakes, is a perspective of how very human they are. In fact, seeing them as more human probably makes me respect and love them even MORE, and makes me feel more wonder for how much they've continued to grow over the years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying this is a "bad" show, it's amazing; all I'm saying is that this bootleg paints a VERY different, raw, honest snapshot of U2 at this point in time that sharply contrasts with the epic, polished snapshot that became Rattle And Hum in 87-88.

One interesting quote of Bono's (from atu2.com, the random upper right corner, it's awesome) is how other bands had "everything but IT" (i.e. they had better musical chops and talent), BUT "all we [U2] had was NOTHING BUT IT." In this show, despite any of those mistakes I mentioned earlier, it's very easy to sense that "IT," that mysterious X-factor about U2 (whatever "it" is) that has turned them into one of the greatest, biggest, and long-lived bands of all time.

...PS: I also have a show in mind that I would love to share with you all that has PERSONAL meaning to me, and is also DEFINITELY NOT overplayed / overrated as a boot...
  2. I like your opinions, u2met86. I'd like to respond to a few things you said.

I'm glad you agree about audience bootlegs, but I downloaded one from an Elevation show that sounds really good. I'm hoping that there are shows that aren't damaged by age or lack of care that come from the great audience of U2 crowds.

In the matter of playing to cameras or audience, it is my opinion that Bono does it both ways. When The Joshua Tree became big, he had to take into account of publicity surrounding the band, but he never abandoned his audience. Look at all the shows where he invites people up the play guitar, piano and whatever else you can think of. Including all the dancing or lying down with the lovely ladies of the crowd. Also, in a lot of ways the camera almost represents another part of the audience that's not there, notably to people who will never have the opportunity to witness all the tours that will live on in peoples' memories for eternity. Like me, for example. Besides, I think having it both ways makes him a better performer.

In regards to Bono and Adam's faux pas', I feel as if Bono was running out of breath from running around so much. In Adam's case, he has mentioned several times, notably in "U2 by U2" that he is not the greatest bass player and he only got his bass guitar a year before the band started, so he was continually learning by doing.

Also, for the fact that my parents were there makes the old and wrecked recording of the show worth it. Still, they performed great for a band that was on the brink of hitting it truly big with the Live Aid moment.

Thanks, u2met86. By the way, are you musician per chance? I liked how you know about the errors in performance.
  3. Originally posted by ReclinerManModerator’s Notes:

1985-03-01 - Phoenix, Arizona - Compton Terrace

General Jots:

Okay, first things first… audience bootlegs annoy me. They never accurately display the power of any performance. I’d rather hear a soundboard with poor audience level than a bootleg with muffled sound, people talking, off-key singing and hoarse screaming in the background while Bono is talking. (Unless you are there)

Now that my grievance is out of the way, may I just say, the show was great – like always. Each song was strong although I found it weird to hear Bono seemingly out of breath during “Bad.” This show, by the way, marks the first time I’ve heard “11 O’Clock Tick Tock” (so I’ve never heard it, sue me). Also, does it seem to you that “The Unforgettable Fire” sounds better live? It did to me.

Essential Moments:

The two things that make this show worth it were Bono breaking up a fight and playing “Pride (In the Name of Love)” afterwards, which was played better the first time than the second. Go figure. Not only that, he cared about none of the audience getting hurt. Do we see artists do that often… NO, so it was powerful to hear. Also, the performance of “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” was great, and the song of the night for me. In the intro to that song, Bono talks about how people have come a long way to see them, including… my Mom and Dad. That’s right. That’s why the show is special and why I have an Unforgettable Fire tour shirt handed down to me. My Mom and Dad are there, screaming in the crowd and enjoying themselves, and hopefully I’ll be able to see a U2 show with them, too.

Any other opinions...

I completely agree. Sorry to join in late. We unexpectedly had plans yesterday.
    I love the first peformance of Pride. I too hate audience recordings. I think this
    is a good show, just with a poor recording. I think Bono breaking up the crowd
    was great. He's a class act, and a genuinely caring person. By the way, who's
    picking the next show?
  4. easports43, I'm just glad you didn't forget.

Well, I want to see if we can make u2met86 our musical expert because of his fantastic analysis. If he agrees, I'll have him pick the next show.
  5. I've had real problems getting on to Rapidshare and getting this file downloaded. Can't get on for any of the boots at the moment. So I haven't heard it yet.But I will do; all these comments have made me very curious!!
  6. Originally posted by ReclinerManeasports43, I'm just glad you didn't forget.

Well, I want to see if we can make u2met86 our musical expert because of his fantastic analysis. If he agrees, I'll have him pick the next show.

Great idea!
  7. By the way, did anyone notice on the recording at one point some girl in the audience tells her friend "We'll never find you if you go to the bathroom."? I just thought that was kinda funny. I agree with U2met86. This was not a good performance by Adam.
  8. Originally posted by ReclinerManIn the matter of playing to cameras or audience, it is my opinion that Bono does it both ways. When The Joshua Tree became big, he had to take into account of publicity surrounding the band, but he never abandoned his audience. Look at all the shows where he invites people up the play guitar, piano and whatever else you can think of. Including all the dancing or lying down with the lovely ladies of the crowd. Also, in a lot of ways the camera almost represents another part of the audience that's not there, notably to people who will never have the opportunity to witness all the tours that will live on in peoples' memories for eternity. Like me, for example. Besides, I think having it both ways makes him a better performer.

You bring up very good points ReclinerMan: Bono is able to make the two seemingly different approaches one and the same, without sacrificing either. Not to mention, if Bono couldn't put on that epic, camera-friendly showmanship like he did on Rattle And Hum I'm not sure that U2 would have ever captured my attention as such a great band!

Originally posted by ReclinerManThanks, u2met86. By the way, are you musician per chance? I liked how you know about the errors in performance.

I am a indeed a musician. I sing and play guitar (and thus understand the basics of bass guitar but am by no means a bass expert). But I have played Pride in and out so I could tell that the specific, consistent mistakes he made there were due to a mis-tuned E string (perhaps the fault of his bass technician?).
  9. Originally posted by ReclinerMan

Thank you so much for your kind words!

I would gladly accept this honor, haha, I just want to make sure I don't become an arrogant jerk because of it!

I do have some decent experience singing / acting Bono's part, playing Edge's easier guitar parts, and understanding the basic framework around which Adam and Larry play (i.e., drums and bass are definitely NOT my areas of expertise).

I also would gladly choose the next show...

http://www.u2start.com/bootlegs/2001-06-17/New%20York,%20New%20York%20-%20Madison%20Square%20Garden/

2001-06-17 - New York, New York - Madison Square Garden

SETLIST: Very similar setlist to Boston DVD, typical Elevation Leg 1, except here it is uncut.

SOUND QUALITY: The sound quality is down a little bit, with an annoying hiss at some parts stronger than others. BUT THE CROWD ENERGY IS UNMATCHED. Crowd is loud enough to be felt in the recording BUT NOT too loud that it is annoying to listen to. Overall 3-star, at it's best moments a solid 4-star recording.

CONTEXT / SET UP:
    Do you remember what the world was like before U2Start?
    Before HTDAAB and the Vertigo Tour?...
    Before the U2 iPod and The Complete U2 hit iTunes Music Store?...
    Before Bob Hewson passed away (and Slane 1 and 2)?...
    Before September 11, 2001 (and the subsequent Super Bowl XXXVI performance)?...
    Before the Boston DVD hit stores?...

U2 was still fighting the strong currents of imminent aging and gradual irrelevance, striving to win over America once again and re-claim their spot as Greatest Rock Band in the World.

I was a 15-1/2 year old kid, in the middle of (secondary) high school, who had forgotten what it was like to be obsessed with U2 and NOT be ashamed of it. Zooropa and Pop meant most of my school mates didn't even know WHO U2 was, so I just figured their career was about over and that I should move on.

That is, until I fell in love all over again on the 17th of June. In one night I reclaimed my identity as an unabashed U2 fanatic and my dream as a future rock star. "As the music played I saw my life turn around..."

PS... If you've ever seen the documentary on Boston DVD Disc #2, THIS is the show they were talking about when they said "you never have the cameras at the right one"...

---

The rest of my thoughts to come soon... Should we schedule an open window of roughly 2-3 days because last time it seemed difficult to get everyone around the world together at the same time?
  10. Great, u2met86.

We'll meet back here between Saturday, August 25-Monday, August 27.

Hope we enjoy the show as much as you do.

P.S. u2met86 & easports43... look at the first post, something special is there for you to see.
  11. Originally posted by ReclinerManGreat, u2met86.

We'll meet back here between Saturday, August 25-Monday, August 27.

Hope we enjoy the show as much as you do.

P.S. u2met86 & easports43... look at the first post, something special is there for you to see.

Haha! That's great!
  12. By the way ReclinerMan, this is off-topic, but since you're a fellow Beatles fan what is your favorite song
    of The Beatles?