1. Originally posted by haytrain:I'm siding with Yeah on this one. That's the most overhyped song of the Vertigo tour. That extended "solo" is a few extra notes to what he already plays earlier in the song and sounds incredibly amateurish. Please don't bring Kite back. Especially with the didgeridoo and kite-flying Bono. Reeks of cheesiness.

Amateurish? To each their own Jeremy, but I think it's pretty good. I agree it's quite cheesy sometimes, but I don't care.

But I'm assuming we're discussing the Vertigo-version now. What about the Elevation or studio-one?
  2. Originally posted by MWSAH:[..]

Amateurish? To each their own Jeremy, but I think it's pretty good. I agree it's quite cheesy sometimes, but I don't care.

But I'm assuming we're discussing the Vertigo-version now. What about the Elevation or studio-one?

Me personally? I like the Elevation version quite a bit, especially the portion of the tour where Bono sang it directly to his father as his father's condition was deteriorating. (It's morbid, I know.) Studio version is okay. Not the best on the album, but I rarely skip it.
  3. Originally posted by haytrain:I'm siding with Yeah on this one. That's the most overhyped song of the Vertigo tour. That extended "solo" is a few extra notes to what he already plays earlier in the song and sounds incredibly amateurish. Please don't bring Kite back. Especially with the didgeridoo and kite-flying Bono. Reeks of cheesiness.

I know The Edge play the note of the solo earlier in te song. But this don't take the beauty of the solo off .
  4. Vertigo version was really epic, I mean, after "Cate Blanchet, this is for you...Edge!" sky opens, really, it's that powerful.
  5. like Casper said, "to each their own." That being said, I hope it's retired if they're gonna play it like that.
  6. It should remain the hallmark of 5th leg Vertigo. One Tree Hill would be a better keeper
  7. Originally posted by haytrain:I'm siding with Yeah on this one. That's the most overhyped song of the Vertigo tour. That extended "solo" is a few extra notes to what he already plays earlier in the song and sounds incredibly amateurish. Please don't bring Kite back. Especially with the didgeridoo and kite-flying Bono. Reeks of cheesiness.

a few extra notes? there's a whole freakin' solo after the bit he repeats from the middle of the song! Completely emotive I think. I read on @U2 when it was going on how they turned a great song into an epic song....like how they brought Bad from the studio to the live version...I agree
  8. I bloody well hope so, and believe it should close the next tour as well.

The song really grew with the inclusion in the Vertigo Tour, was just something special, being there at both Melbourne concerts was awesome when Kite was being performed, for mine, it went from good song to great [and now one of my favourite] U2 songs.
  9. Originally posted by Stu:I bloody well hope so, and believe it should close the next tour as well.

The song really grew with the inclusion in the Vertigo Tour, was just something special, being there at both Melbourne concerts was awesome when Kite was being performed, for mine, it went from good song to great [and now one of my favourite] U2 songs.

I agree with you and I also agree with Gerard that I think it will remain even more special if it stays as the hallmark of the 5th leg, we're lucky to have it on bootlegs
  10. I like Kite, I don't side with Yeah or Jeremy for the most part but I definitely preferred One Tree Hill like Gerard does. For me, the extended solo used during the 5th leg, whilst not particularly technical in its execution, is still really emotive and powerful and very typical of Edge - drawing really evocative and powerful sounds using as little as possible. However, I do think they're special performances because of their rarity and uniqueness, and if they reintroduced it on a regular basis, they'd lose that special something and would be very likely to get a bit drab.
  11. It is a Kite dedicated topic, but One Tree Hill is very nice too. If they play it, I'd be more than happy.
  12. that would be great ...it's my favorite u2 song