1. Yeah I agree, his voice is better now than in 2017-2019. Not sure about 2015, his voice was really good on the i+e tour.
  2. surrender tour was the best thing that happened to his voice
  3. Originally posted by guykirk9:[..]
    Totally agree about the solo tour with him finding his new voice

I think I understand those who like 2015 more, and to be fair I could probably listen to more boots but I just think some of the notes he is hitting now (I.e. the falsetto) is more impressive. Maybe I give him more credit since I would assume every tour would be worse than the last at his age

The problem is that he is not hitting the high "notes" this tour, the versions is incredible lazy when it comes to the vocals.
    Sure he use the falsetto more than recent years, but his falsetto was better on 360 tour ...
    The 2014-2105 voice was way way better, much more energy, pitch....
    The worst thing about the Sphere shows it that it lacks the contrast in Bono's voice, every song is on auto drive....
  4. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]

The problem is that he is not hitting the high "notes" this tour, the versions is incredible lazy when it comes to the vocals.
    Sure he use the falsetto more than recent years, but his falsetto was better on 360 tour ...
    The worst thing about the Sphere shows it that it lacks the contrast in Bono's voice, every song is on auto drive....
    can you elaborate on what you mean by 'contrast' ?
  5. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]

I don’t recall him using his falsetto much during the 360 tour at all. Maybe the chorus of Unforgettable Fire. But those are falsetto notes, what he’s been back to doing is singing words and phrases in that “fat lady” voice. That he hasn’t done since Popmart
  6. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]

That tour’s performances of Your Blue Room is a perfect example of him avoiding the falsetto, he sings it an entire octave down
  7. He didnt avoid it in MW(child), he even did a scream falsetto in it on 360....
    Unforgettable Fire, In A Little While....
    6:14 and phorward are two examples....

After listening to this clip is pretty obvious how much he have lost now when it comes to high notes, energy and belting....
  8. I thought his Beacon Theater singing was great and highlighted how he has learned to use his "mature" voice in a very effective way.

That said, the clips I've watched from the Sphere make it clear that his rock singer voice is so vastly diminished from his peak years (which I would say were roughly 1988-1993).

To be honest, every album/tour since Zoo TV has had some disappointment in terms of Bono's singing. Still love him as a singer, but let's call a spade a spade. Like many rockers, he torched his voice pretty badly in his younger years.

That's partly why, instead of silly rock songs like Atomic City, I would love to see the band write and record more atmospheric, moody stuff that old Bono could really emote and express with the voice and soul he has now.
  9. Originally posted by dstankie:I would love to see the band write and record more atmospheric, moody stuff that old Bono could really emote and express with the voice and soul he has now.

There's a fair amount of this through the last handful of records. White as Snow/Cedars of Lebanon from NLOTH and Sleep Like a Baby/The Troubles from SOI come to mind
  10. Originally posted by dstankie:I thought his Beacon Theater singing was great and highlighted how he has learned to use his "mature" voice in a very effective way.

That said, the clips I've watched from the Sphere make it clear that his rock singer voice is so vastly diminished from his peak years (which I would say were roughly 1988-1993).

To be honest, every album/tour since Zoo TV has had some disappointment in terms of Bono's singing. Still love him as a singer, but let's call a spade a spade. Like many rockers, he torched his voice pretty badly in his younger years.

That's partly why, instead of silly rock songs like Atomic City, I would love to see the band write and record more atmospheric, moody stuff that old Bono could really emote and express with the voice and soul he has now.
    360 was his last peak or even innocence era
  11. Originally posted by dstankie:I thought his Beacon Theater singing was great and highlighted how he has learned to use his "mature" voice in a very effective way.

Agree with that he should use his lower register, Love Is All We Have Left and Book Of Your Heart is a good example on how good it can sound.

To me the 360 tour is the strongest one vocally from 92 to now, sure his falsetto was stronger on ZooTV but he belted the notes on 360 that he wasn't able to hit on ZooTV....
    But somethings in 2014-2015 was even better than on 360, but overall the 360 tour is one of his best in the his whole career.

12. 360 is overlooked when It comes to his voice performences....§