1. I'm sure that this post will be met with some hesitation, but the fact that he's Irish and accepting a British award is just non-ethical.
    Yes he's doing a great service for charity, but Ireland was in ruins not 20 yrs ago partially thanks to England.
    So my fandom is quite reduced indeed.

*Props to Larry for not showing up*
  2. Welll, of course he deserves a prize for his great work. But he doesn't seem to be a real irishman to accept this. But this doesn't decrease my fandom.
  3. I understand that, but i'm Irish so you can imagine, i'm very dissapointed.

I mean what England doe in Ireland for 600 years was sheer horror, and how he took that honour really makes me wonder what kind of guy he really is.

And this is probably the lowest i'll ever think of him.
  4. He got a variation of a knighthood which is only given to non-UK citizens.

edit. You're living in the past.
  5. Originally posted by djbenny1He got a variation of a knighthood which is only given to non-UK citizens.

edit. You're living in the past.

If you were Irish, you'd understand but you like Bono, know nothing about the North of Ireland. And if you were Irish or were half educated you'd be insulted too, fucking moron.

6. Oh and there's a difference between living in the past, and having a conscience.
  7. Originally posted by MacphistflyOh and there's a difference between living in the past, and having a conscience.

I understand your anger, but I think Bono will surely have thought about it. Because what will happen when he decides to decline it? There are always two sides on a decision..
  8. I think Bono made right thing with accepting this award.

I know (I learned in school) what was happening between Britain and Ireland, but because of that I see that award as symbol of peace and future between these two countries.

Just remeber what Bono said to Croatians, Bosnians and Serbians at Sarajevo concert - Kiss the future and fuck the past.
  9. Originally posted by MacphistflyI'm sure that this post will be met with some hesitation, but the fact that he's Irish and accepting a British award is just non-ethical.
    Yes he's doing a great service for charity, but Ireland was in ruins not 20 yrs ago partially thanks to England.
    So my fandom is quite reduced indeed.

*Props to Larry for not showing up*

yeah im afraid im with macphistfly on this one. england are guilty of doing some really horrible things to to us [the irsih] - especially around the times of the black and tans - wacth the movie The Wind That Shakes The Barley.
    my grandparents have told me stories that mirror the events that happened in the movie - and when they actually watched the movie it upset them quite a lot - bringing back memories they tried so hard to forget.
    now dont get me wrong im not anti-english, but im not willing forgive them as a country for their behavior in this period of history.
    i could not accept an honor bestowed upon me by the english royal family - it would be an insult to my grandparents and their friends and what they had to put up with.
    does anybody know if enland ever publicly apologized for the action of the black and tans - i dont think they have?
  10. Well, I think Bono had to accept this. He plays shows in England ever since his band started, he sells his records down there. Wouldn't it be cinical rejecting a Knighthood but not the London bills?
    And well, when he met the Pope he didn't say he agreed with the Church. When he met George W. Bush didn't mean he supported american wars. My point of view is that this man says yes in order to change things, not to preserve them wrong.
  11. Originally posted by robbie07[..]

yeah im afraid im with macphistfly on this one. england are guilty of doing some really horrible things to to us [the irsih] - especially around the times of the black and tans - wacth the movie The Wind That Shakes The Barley.
    my grandparents have told me stories that mirror the events that happened in the movie - and when they actually watched the movie it upset them quite a lot - bringing back memories they tried so hard to forget.
    now dont get me wrong im not anti-english, but im not willing forgive them as a country for their behavior in this period of history.
    i could not accept an honor bestowed upon me by the english royal family - it would be an insult to my grandparents and their friends and what they had to put up with.
    does anybody know if enland ever publicly apologized for the action of the black and tans - i dont think they have?

Thank you for agreeing with me Robbie07, it is easier for other people not from Ireland to be so accepting of the award, but for us its bordering on sheer betrayal. Wind that shakes the Barley i credit you, is a perfect example of how terrible what they done here was, and whilst i agree that there are some great English people, a large portion are unrepentant and have either not asked for Ireland's forgiveness, or simply not cared.

So for a man i admire to take an honour from the British crown stil steeped in the blood of Irishmen and women is enough to turn my stomach, its something i would like people here to look into to understand where we are coming from, because there is forgiveness, and there is forgetfulness.
    And i am sad to say Bono has displayed the latter.

12. But there will be a time when the past is really the past..Sometimes you need to forget what has happened. For example, we can't blame the Germans for eternity for starting two World Wars. And for me, as a Dutchmen, it is easy to say. But I think Bono, or let's say the Irishman Paul Hewson, surely understands it. I think it's very difficult for him to make such choices, but U2, with Bono as frontman, is not only an Irish band, it's an international band. They always sing about peace etc. Remember the speech during Sunday Bloody Sunday at Slane Castle on the 1st of September...Sometimes, you'll need to forget the past and life on. Or at least life with it..