1. If you forget a part of the past, you forget part of who you are.
    Although i understand this is not always the case, Ireland was subjected to torture and no less.
    Ireland made U2 big, Ireland gave them their shot, Dublin was their starting block, and many an Irishmans blood was spilt to secure her. Someone should tell Bono charity begins at home.

If what i speak of was more than 300 yrs ago, it would be understandable, but it wasn't and it lasted for over 600 yrs. In the North descrimination against Catholics, thoroughly and unrighteously, continues to this very day.

As the great John Locke (the philosopher not the guy off of lost ) said, ''Memory is Identity", Bono has forgotten.

2. Sorry, but that article is not very good. The suspicion on Bono loosing contact with the common man has been around at least since The Joshua Tree. A lot of critics have blamed him and the band of being too succesfull. Even Achtung baby was claimed to be "racial" for having a title in german. Those items, in the way this article sets'em, have always been around and U2 has always proved to be above. ("Mesianic Bono" from the late 80's became "Superficial Bono" in the early 90's, first he got critics for bringing political issues to the arena, and then he was for not doing it).

But the worse point of the article, in my opinion, is that the writer himself ignores about Ireland and tries to question others for it. This person, in a certain academic tone questions " Is it right that perhaps the greatest living Irishman should now bow down in front of the Queen and be knighted?" and then
    surprisingly attributes the quote "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!" to Groucho Marx. How can someone speak about the greatest irish and ignore the quote belongs to Oscar Wilde --by the way, another irish--?

3. Originally posted by redguitaronfire[..]

Sorry, but that article is not very good. The suspicion on Bono loosing contact with the common man has been around at least since The Joshua Tree. A lot of critics have blamed him and the band of being too succesfull. Even Achtung baby was claimed to be "racial" for having a title in german. Those items, in the way this article sets'em, have always been around and U2 has always proved to be above. ("Mesianic Bono" from the late 80's became "Superficial Bono" in the early 90's, first he got critics for bringing political issues to the arena, and then he was for not doing it).

But the worse point of the article, in my opinion, is that the writer himself ignores about Ireland and tries to question others for it. This person, in a certain academic tone questions " Is it right that perhaps the greatest living Irishman should now bow down in front of the Queen and be knighted?" and then
    surprisingly attributes the quote "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!" to Groucho Marx. How can someone speak about the greatest irish and ignore the quote belongs to Oscar Wilde --by the way, another irish--?

Im not saying it's defining my argument, i brought it over because its what we're all talking about.
    But one thing i will agree on is this, in Ireland people are starting to talk about Bono losing his common touch. Not critics, people.

Bono's a great poet, but he's not any Messiah, he's as flawed as you or me, and would say so himself. To a lot of people in Ireland, this is a misrepresentation of our people, and an insult to our forefathers, an act no man fully in touch with his people would commit.
  4. Allright, I begin to understand...
  5. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

Bono's a great poet, but he's not any Messiah, he's as flawed as you or me, and would say so himself. To a lot of people in Ireland, this is a misrepresentation of our people, and an insult to our forefathers, an act no man fully in touch with his people would commit.

6. Originally posted by robbie07[..]

And with that smilie robbie07 became my U2start buddy
  7. Well I'm not Irish but I can understand the reaction of the Irish here, England has done horrible things to Ireland and maybe this Is a case of pride.

But actually I think he made the right decision and I'll explain you why :

I think Bono doens't agree with the nationalism of the Irish : you've noticed how many times somebody throws an Irish flag to him but he always regret the offer of wearing It ?(eg when he says "maybe just once" at Slane and in Chicago when he says no to a flag and points at the stars and stripes(maybe he wants to be american..?) )

Next to that, Bono always says "I don't live In the past, I look forward to the futur" so maybe he wants to forget the history with England. Maybe all the Irish should think about that and forgive England for it's deeds. I don't want to insult anyone what that but I just want to say you can see It as a sign "hey, the war is over, we must start again and forgive" that's also how the whole world had to react after the World War's isn't It ?

And at last I want to say that I don't think Bono kneels for anybody, It's a great sign that England looks up for Bono and he deserves the recognition

8. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

To a lot of people in Ireland, this is a misrepresentation of our people, and an insult to our forefathers, an act no man fully in touch with his people would commit.

Well, I got your point and I'm aware you have your reasons to see things that way. But I don't share it because I think when Live Aid, Bono spoke about the Queen and how her personal fortune could turn the African desert into productive land, I mean he pointed her selfishness to talk about problems in the world. Then Mr. Mcphisto called Princess Diana a couple of times --and you know what kind of persons he liked to phone to. Then, in the Rattle and Hum movie, Bono recalled the irish migrations and how the British goverment couldn't care less. And now it comes to be the persons who were the targets of these arguments want him to be a knight... it makes me wonder: who's really bowing and knealing?
    I don't think Bono has sold his soul... I find a certain ironic smile in his act.

9. I agree with most things that RedGuitar said.

Past should be left behind, not forgotten, but forgiven yes.
  10. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

And with that smilie robbie07 became my U2start buddy

yes we paddys gotta stay together!

because im irish i understand your argument. but i also understand how someone who aint irish is looking in and being skeptical about it.
    irelands history with england is an area that unless you are actually irish, you will never fully understand it.
  11. Originally posted by redguitaronfire[..]

I don't think Bono has sold his soul... I find a certain ironic smile in his act.