1. Originally posted by redguitaronfire[..]

I don't think Bono has sold his soul... I find a certain ironic smile in his act.

i can tell you right now i know there is a lot of irish people now who dont have smiles on their faces.
    to be honest i dont think he accepted the honor with an ironic smile - i think his ego accepted it with open arms.
    and that is what the average irish person believes aswell.

and sorry for the double post !!!
  2. Originally posted by robbie07to be honest i dont think he accepted the honor with an ironic smile - i think his ego accepted it with open arms.

3. Originally posted by YogiI

Past should be left behind, not forgotten, but forgiven yes.

I agree. Life must go on.
  4. Originally posted by redguitaronfire[..]

I agree. Life must go on.

you don't have the first damn clue what life in Ireland is was or ever will be like, you sit where you are at your desk and think you know, or even have a rough idea. When in reality you don't know jack shit about the plight of Ireland and probably never will.
    Bono can rant on and on about what ever he wants but he doesn't know fully about the plight of Catholics in the North either, because he has turned his back on his own people, to serve himself.
    In other words, he has sold his soul.
    Nothing that you, or anybody say can justify this unspeakable act of treason he has comitted, that spits on the grave of every Republican both Protestant and Catholic who fought and died for him.

There are no excuses for this.
    None.
  5. Originally posted by BelgianBonoWell I'm not Irish but I can understand the reaction of the Irish here, England has done horrible things to Ireland and maybe this Is a case of pride.

But actually I think he made the right decision and I'll explain you why :

I think Bono doens't agree with the nationalism of the Irish : you've noticed how many times somebody throws an Irish flag to him but he always regret the offer of wearing It ?(eg when he says "maybe just once" at Slane and in Chicago when he says no to a flag and points at the stars and stripes(maybe he wants to be american..?) )

Next to that, Bono always says "I don't live In the past, I look forward to the futur" so maybe he wants to forget the history with England. "Maybe all the Irish should think about that and forgive England for it's deeds." I don't want to insult anyone what that but I just want to say you can see It as a sign "hey, the war is over, we must start again and forgive" that's also how the whole world had to react after the World War's isn't It ?

And at last I want to say that I don't think Bono kneels for anybody, It's a great sign that England looks up for Bono and he deserves the recognition

Its not about the past or the future, its about his ego growing so fucking big, he forgets his people, and he forgets his pasts.
    He is no longer acting as a man of peace. He is acting like a traitor.

This was not done for charity.
    This was done to service his own ego.

To us Irishman this is like A Jew accepting an award from the descendant of an ex SS general, although that may sound excessive, that is the situation here, and the deeds of England in Ireland are indeed comparable with the Holocaust.
    "Maybe all the Irish should think about that and forgive England for it's deeds." I, if this were hundreds of years ago, and the crimes were minor, it would be a possibility.

But here are just a few of the facts:-

80,000 Irish women sent off a slaves to Barbados, and the Carribean (Queen Elizabeth)
    4 million Irish Die in famine, British send no aid.
    *Middle finger plucked from the hand of every Irish Musician (Cromwell, and continued through to Establishment of Eire)
    Irishmen taken from homes, forced to be frontline cannon fodder (1400-1945)
    Irish Women raped in order to up protestant population (1500's-late 1700's)
    No catholic voice in N.I politics(1700-1970's)
    British Army Kill unarmed protestors (Bloody Sunday)

And those my friends are just the tip of the iceberg.

*I'd like to see Bono play guitar with no middle finger.

If you people are willing to see my point of argument rent ''the wind that shakes the barley" and find out.

6. Originally posted by robbie07[..]

i can tell you right now i know there is a lot of irish people now who dont have smiles on their faces.
    to be honest i dont think he accepted the honor with an ironic smile - i think his ego accepted it with open arms.
    and that is what the average irish person believes aswell.

and sorry for the double post !!!

you are very right my friend, we are not happy. There was no 'ironic smile' he was basking in the British glory spitting on the graves of those who gladly died for him.

And just so you all know, Robbie07 and i are not the minority, Ireland is disgusted.
  7. Originally posted by YogiI

Past should be left behind, not forgotten, but forgiven yes.

Should the Holocaust be forgiven?
  8. Originally posted by BelgianBono

I think Bono doens't agree with the nationalism of the Irish : you've noticed how many times somebody throws an Irish flag to him but he always regret the offer of wearing It ?(eg when he says "maybe just once" at Slane and in Chicago when he says no to a flag and points at the stars and stripes(maybe he wants to be american..?) )

Next to that, Bono always says "I don't live In the past, I look forward to the futur" so maybe he wants to forget the history with England. Maybe all the Irish should think about that and forgive England for it's deeds. I don't want to insult anyone what that but I just want to say you can see It as a sign "hey, the war is over, we must start again and forgive" that's also how the whole world had to react after the World War's isn't It ?

maybe bono wants to be an american? he does want to be an american! and furthermore they are welcome to him!
    irelands history with england is impossible to ignore,forget or even forgive.
    bono has done all 3 in my opinion with the acceptance of this honor by the british crown.
    bono and ireland have grown apart over the years - with the bands massive international success and of course with his massive third world charity work.
    i just think this was his chance to remind the world that he was a normal average irish guy from the north of dublin but instead he has confirmed that he has truly forgotten his roots and is no longer in touch with average normal irish people.
    he could have declined the knighthood easily, and could have jokingly quipped - im still just an average paddy from the the northside of dublin - i cant imagine a single person in the city who would forgive me if i accepted this!

very interesting to hear larry didnt attend - he probobly feels like the rest of us.!
    for larry!!!
  9. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

you don't have the first damn clue what life in Ireland is was or ever will be like, you sit where you are at your desk and think you know, or even have a rough idea. When in reality you don't know jack shit about the plight of Ireland and probably never will.
    Bono can rant on and on about what ever he wants but he doesn't know fully about the plight of Catholics in the North either, because he has turned his back on his own people, to serve himself.
    In other words, he has sold his soul.
    Nothing that you, or anybody say can justify this unspeakable act of treason he has comitted, that spits on the grave of every Republican both Protestant and Catholic who fought and died for him.

There are no excuses for this.
    None.

I supposse it's easier to justify a bomb from the IRA than a social act?

Are there excuses for bearing a rifle?

Is it right to use the same violence your people has been under?

I don't want you to answer. I just want to point Bono's action are protocol. If you think that's unspeakable you know less about Ireland than me even though you're there, let me tell you.

10. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

But here are just a few of the facts:-

80,000 Irish women sent off a slaves to Barbados, and the Carribean (Queen Elizabeth)
    4 million Irish Die in famine, British send no aid.
    *Middle finger plucked from the hand of every Irish Musician (Cromwell, and continued through to Establishment of Eire)
    Irishmen taken from homes, forced to be frontline cannon fodder (1400-1945)
    Irish Women raped in order to up protestant population (1500's-late 1700's)
    No catholic voice in N.I politics(1700-1970's)
    British Army Kill unarmed protestors (Bloody Sunday)

And those my friends are just the tip of the iceberg.

You're right, only the tip. Can you tell us more of what lies underwater? Tell us about how many people the IRA killed in the seventies. Or how many got imprisioned for their acts even if they had nothing to do with it. Or tell us, if you dare, that they deserved to get killed for something that hapenned in 1400.

Tell us the whole story, because if you only can grieve for the victims on one side you're not speaking of justice, but vengeance.

11. RedGuitar