1. +1

Suarez needed a penalty but not so much compared to stronger things that have been left unpunished or with smaller bans. If he was a Brazilian, French, Spanish or German player he would have been left unpunished. It's so unfair towards Uruguay.
  2. The four month ban did surprise me. He was banned for seven games for biting Bakkal, ten games for biting Ivanovic (just typing this is crazy), so I expected FIFA to dish something out that at least matched the FA ban for biting Chiellini. Banning him from International matches though isn't that big of a deal. He'll only miss qualifiers predominately, which means he'll be fit to concentrate on his club football.

Biting is beyond the bounds of dangerous play in my opinion. De Jong's challenge was dangerous, but the referee dealt with it there and then (he later admitted it should've been a red and no-one would argue with him). I don't know what FIFA's stance on retrospective action was back then, it's not always been that easy to overrule the referee. We haven't had it long in the Premier League.

Footballers must accept that there is an element of risk in the game. Players can be late into the tackle, players can use too much force, but largely it's accidental. Serious foul play should be punished beyond the three match ban, no question. But biting an opponent, or biting three opponents is not foul play, it's intentional assault.

One player, in the heat of the moment, you could argue an excuse for. But biting three players? Come on. Suarez is vile. He worked so hard last season to turn his image around and many probably thought this behaviour was finally behind him, myself included.

Uruguay really are doing themselves no favours either. Liverpool laughably stood by him, but they at least didn't pretend that nothing happened.
  3. BREAKING NEWS!!

Bono has been banned for 4 months off all stadiums:

4. lol and The Edge is banned too, because he likes it...
  5. I've updated the prediction rankings: Link

A few stats for the group stage:

- 0 people predicted that Costa Rica would beat Uruguay
    - 100% people predicted that France would beat Honduras, Argentina would beat Iran, and Brazil would beat Cameroon.
    - Only one person predicted that Mexico to draw with Brazil (Remy)
    - Only one person predicted that Chile would win against Spain (Remy)
    - Only one person didn't see Brazil beating Croatia on the opening day (patou2)
    - Longest streak of correct predictions (Mr_Trek and patou2 - 6)
    - Longest streak of incorrect predictions (Risto - 8)
  6. Originally posted by iTim:I've updated the prediction rankings: Link

- 100% people predicted that France would beat Honduras, Argentina would beat Iran, and Brazil would beat Cameroon.

Amazing work Tim !!

There were some surprises here and there for me . Most of the seconds teams form each group were surprises
  7. Originally posted by iTim:I've updated the prediction rankings: Link

Nice! Good to see my name appear twice. Guess I've predicted too many surprises looking at the overall standing.

It's interesting to see almost everyone predicts one or two surprises for the first knockout stage. It's tempting to predict at least one, but in the end it could very well be none. It will be very interesting to see which team or teams will be the "dark horse" in the quarters!

Tonight will feature the first two knockout matches. I have high hopes for Chile, but then it's Brazil they're facing.. What do you all think of tonights matches?
  8. I think Chile have an excellent chance. They performed so well in the group stage and won't make it easy for Brazil. It's difficult to look past Brazil on home soil though. The pressure and expectation will either spur them on or make them crumble. I expect a close match.

Uruguay were poor against Costa Rica without Suarez. Unless they can find another attacking threat tonight, I can see Colombia winning.
  9. I hope Chile will come trough. They will get much more space than in the match against Holland and as we saw against Spain that they know how to use that.

Colombia will beat Uruguay, Uruguay is Suarez. Besides that Colombia is one of the suprises imo, great style and I love James. Great player.