1. No kidding. And they gave the Peace award to Santos, even when his people said no to the Peace agreement.
  2. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:So Bob Dylan won the Nobel prize in literature. No disrespect to him as songwriter, but wtf? They couldn't find an actual writer alive? Maybe Bono wins it next year.
    I have nothing against Dylan or famous writers, but the prize is supposed to go to a person whose life was dedicated to literature, not pop culture.

Dylan writes very poetic lyrics poems which have been analyzed and studied for a long time; he also wrote a proper book called Tarantula, similar to Allen Ginsberg's and Jack Kerouak's first books from the mid 60s. It's not like they have awarded Valentino Rossi or something.

C'mon, Winston Churchill won the Nobel in Literature "for his mastery of historical and biographical description as well as for brilliant oratory in defending exalted human values". THAT is wtf.
  3. it's still WTF. Dylan barely qualifies as a writer. There are still 50 more worthy picks. Adonis, Juan Goytisolo, John Ashbery, just to mention a few.
    Maybe next year they can award a blogger or the guy who wrote all those Harambe memes.
  4. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:it's still WTF. Dylan barely qualifies as a writer. There are still 50 more worthy picks. Adonis, Juan Goytisolo, John Ashbery, just to mention a few.
    Maybe next year they can award a blogger or the guy who wrote all those Harambe memes.
    Who or what is a "writer"?
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Dylan writes very poetic lyrics poems which have been analyzed and studied for a long time; he also wrote a proper book called Tarantula, similar to Allen Ginsberg's and Jack Kerouak's first books from the mid 60s. It's not like they have awarded Valentino Rossi or something.

C'mon, Winston Churchill won the Nobel in Literature "for his mastery of historical and biographical description as well as for brilliant oratory in defending exalted human values". THAT is wtf.
    ^^ Exactly my point about the Nobel. Nothing but respect for Dylan, mind you, but maybe a lifetime achievement type of award category for the Nobel is in order?

I dunno. Just reminds me of that time when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for best metal album at the Grammys.
  6. He has published something, I give you that. I published something too, doesn't make me a Nobel contender. Still, to give him the award over poets and novelists that have pushed their native language to higher level, experimenting with the prose, the metaphors, the tradition of literature.
    This was just a big f*** you from the Swedish Academy.
  7. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    ^^ Exactly my point about the Nobel. Nothing but respect for Dylan, mind you, but maybe a lifetime achievement type of award category for the Nobel is in order?

I dunno. Just reminds me of that time when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for best metal album at the Grammys.
    It's not the Oscars where lifetime achievement awards are given, all to cinema-related people. The Nobels have their categories and awards are given accordingly. Many if not MOST of the non-scientifical Nobels have always been awarded to lifetime achievements and not to particular works.
  8. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:He has published something, I give you that. I published something too, doesn't make me a Nobel contender. Still, to give him the award over poets and novelists that have pushed their native language to higher level, experimenting with the prose, the metaphors, the tradition of literature.
    This was just a big f*** you from the Swedish Academy.
    "pushed their native language to higher level, experimenting with the prose, the metaphors, the tradition of literature"

I think that's exactly what Dylan has been doing for the last 5 decades.
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    "pushed their native language to higher level, experimenting with the prose, the metaphors, the tradition of literature"

I think that's exactly what Dylan has been doing for the last 5 decades.
    There are countless other writers in the world doing that much better in actual books, not songs.
  10. That point, although I agree with it, is a matter taste - the same taste that it takes to award a prize. So we agree to disagree I think.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It's not the Oscars where lifetime achievement awards are given, all to cinema-related people. The Nobels have their categories and awards are given accordingly. Many if not MOST of the non-scientifical Nobels have always been awarded to lifetime achievements and not to particular works.
    Ok. Then in that case, you convinced me.

But what about Obama's award after being in office only a year?