1. i agree will be monster cheese, sadly think they'll play it tho.
  2. They'll definitely play it. Why wouldn't they? They wrote an entire song about it. It's honesty something that makes me feel embarassed for THEM. Not to sound completely rude or anything, but really, who do they think they are writing an entire song about an event that tons and tons of artists have played before them? Even if they just wanted to write a song in appreciation for hte event, that's still dumb. Appreciate it by playing at it with your own songs that people know you for, there's no need to bring an entire song there JUST for the event. Stupid.

3. good post below that sums it up.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:They'll definitely play it. Why wouldn't they? They wrote an entire song about it. It's honesty something that makes me feel embarassed for THEM. Not to sound completely rude or anything, but really, who do they think they are writing an entire song about an event that tons and tons of artists have played before them? Even if they just wanted to write a song in appreciation for hte event, that's still dumb. Appreciate it by playing at it with your own songs that people know you for, there's no need to bring an entire song there JUST for the event. Stupid.

Completely agree. I mean it's not even that bad of a song / arrangement but COME ON it shouldn't be ABOUT Glastonbury. it should have just made it a song about anything else >.<
  5. Originally posted by Genaro92U2:[..]

Completely agree. I mean it's not even that bad of a song / arrangement but COME ON it shouldn't be ABOUT Glastonbury. it should have just made it a song about anything else >.<

Yeah. I don't mind the music. I like North Star and Every Breaking Wave a lot more (if we're talking new songs they've brought out) but it's still good. The whole Glastonbury thing just turns me off a lot, and I can see I'm not the only one!
  6. i don't get all this disappointment for the Glastonbury song
    they can write about everything else but not Glastonbury? .. uhm what's wrong with it? they had to partecipate to this famous festival and they felt to write a song about it. i don't think all this clamor is worth, just an easy thing and easy song, nothing more nothing less.

7. So THE most famous festival in the world invites U2 who are so honoured they write a song for the occassion and no doubt for the audience and then get grief for it?????????? Strange.
  8. It's like getting invited to a wedding where you hardly know the bride and groom. Like your girlfriend takes you, and your girlfriend is the 3rd cousin of the bride, so they barely know her and they don't know you. And then you go and prepare a big speech for the wedding and recite it there. How do you think everyone would feel? How do you think everyone would view you? I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd goes nuts for Glastonbury, but that's becuase the music is good and it's U2 playing it. One could say "that's all that counts" but for me it makes me feel awkward as a U2 fan.

That's the way I feel about this song.
  9. If that's your analogy then I would put U2 as the bestman or at least bridesmaids seeing as they are headlining and a speech is needed
  10. Originally posted by mrbullet:If that's your analogy then I would put U2 as the bestman or at least bridesmaids seeing as they are headlining and a speech is needed

Perhaps. But don't forget they've never played Glastonbury before. That's what irks me, is that they've never bothered to touch it and now that they are they write a song about it as if they've been appreciating it for so long. Maybe then they'd be best man (in my opinion).

And Glastonbury at heart is about indie music and alternative, NOT mainstream. As of late it's become something else, pretty much anybody plays Glastonbury now, but U2 are far from indie. Maybe back in the 90's they might have fit in with their Zooropa stuff, but now I think if htey go and play songs like BD and Vertigo, it would make past Glastonbury attendees cringe.
  11. Originally posted by mrbullet:If that's your analogy then I would put U2 as the bestman or at least bridesmaids seeing as they are headlining and a speech is needed

U2 woulda been the "best man" to a place like the Point Depot, or even somewhere in the states like Madison Square Garden (New York), the Fleet Center (which is now TD Banknorth Garden in Boston), or the United Center (Chicago) where they play 5 arena shows PER leg, PER tour...Just like Alex says above, Glastonbury is a place they've never been. What if your band booked a show in Seattle, Washington- a place you'd never been before- and showed up with a brand new song about how much you loved Seattle. Its just a bit odd and pretentious.
  12. "Take me to the mountain green. YOU KNOW IT BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN"... I really don't see what the problem is either. I don't think there are rules about what artists or bands can and can't write about? I really like the song and I don't see why people are complaining about it. Obviously the band is excited to play the festival so they were inspired to write a song about it.