1. I'm a die-hard. I'd say a pretty large percentage of the Glasto crowd WON'T be. So it may be a bit of a fallacy, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that if a die hard would honestly rather hear them play another war-horse greatest hit in front of that many people, than a completely average song "in honor" of where they're at, I'm pretty sure the general crowd would agree. It just wastes a setlist spot.

Make it a b-side for the new album, throw it on iTunes as a single before the fest to promote themselves...I don't care. Do whatever they want with it. But as far as I'm concerned it's taking up a setlist spot.
  2. I think people need to realise this isn't a gig for U2 fans its for the glastonbury crowd.

As for playing glastonbury the song, i personally think it was a mistake playing it on the 360 tour , that was inappropriate. It should have been played at the festival only then dropped forever.
  3. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

U2 woulda been the "best man" to a place like the Point Depot, or even somewhere in the states like Madison Square Garden (New York), the Fleet Center (which is now TD Banknorth Garden in Boston), or the United Center (Chicago) where they play 5 arena shows PER leg, PER tour...Just like Alex says above, Glastonbury is a place they've never been. What if your band booked a show in Seattle, Washington- a place you'd never been before- and showed up with a brand new song about how much you loved Seattle. Its just a bit odd and pretentious.

Thank you.
  4. Originally posted by mrbullet:I think people need to realise this isn't a gig for U2 fans its for the glastonbury crowd.

As for playing glastonbury the song, i personally think it was a mistake playing it on the 360 tour , that was inappropriate. It should have been played at the festival only then dropped forever.

And again, they could write a song about anything else and perform it anywhere and no one would say anything. I just don't get it? I said before that Sunday Bloody Sunday is about the Troubles in Ireland but no one said that it should only be performed there and not anywhere else?
  5. New year's day only in Poland? Walk on only in Burma? New york only in New york?.. come on
  6. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]

And again, they could write a song about anything else and perform it anywhere and no one would say anything. I just don't get it? I said before that Sunday Bloody Sunday is about the Troubles in Ireland but no one said that it should only be performed there and not anywhere else?

It's not really the same thing at all. The troubles sung about in Sunday Bloody Sunday are indeed about Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland, but the lyrics are universal, and U2 were singing the song to send a message, not only to the politicians of Ireland, but also to anyone and everyone that they need to rise up and say "no more".

Glastonbury was written for the specific event, it was written to be peformed at the specfic event (pretty sure they've gone on record saying it was meant to be performed there last year) and it's not really relative, it's about the one thing. Some people justify it by saying "Oh it's about the actual event that happened there" or whatever, some kind of religious context I can't remember. Either way, you shouldn't have to justify it's purpose, if that needs to be said, than it shouldn't be performed anywhere other than there, and that's where we get into our base argument. Whether or not it's dumb that they wrote the song period.
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

It's not really the same thing at all. The troubles sung about in Sunday Bloody Sunday are indeed about Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland, but the lyrics are universal, and U2 were singing the song to send a message, not only to the politicians of Ireland, but also to anyone and everyone that they need to rise up and say "no more".

Glastonbury was written for the specific event, it was written to be peformed at the specfic event (pretty sure they've gone on record saying it was meant to be performed there last year) and it's not really relative, it's about the one thing. Some people justify it by saying "Oh it's about the actual event that happened there" or whatever, some kind of religious context I can't remember. Either way, you shouldn't have to justify it's purpose, if that needs to be said, than it shouldn't be performed anywhere other than there, and that's where we get into our base argument. Whether or not it's dumb that they wrote the song period.

Again I don't really get your point. I mean obviously the song has lyrics dealing with the festival and we know it was written about it but there are some "universal" lyrics as well. "You are a pocket full of sunshine" and "you are the miracle I came to find" could be talking about the concert or a specific person.
  8. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]

Again I don't really get your point. I mean obviously the song has lyrics dealing with the festival and we know it was written about it but there are some "universal" lyrics as well. "You are a pocket full of sunshine" and "you are the miracle I came to find" could be talking about the concert or a specific person.

I guess. I don't think it's that you don't understand, I think it's that you disagree. Sunday Bloody Sunday wasn't an event that many people had (have) been actively participating in for years, having a good time without U2 there. That's Glastonbury. I can't really sum it up any better than my wedding analogy.
  9. Glastonbury's gotta be the opening song hasnt it?
    Or the closer,but cant see them doing that i think it will be MOS or "40"
  10. Originally posted by kezman:Glastonbury's gotta be the opening song hasnt it?
    Or the closer,but cant see them doing that i think it will be MOS or "40"

Doesn't necessarily have to open. In fact, if they f*ck up the opening song and use that piece of garbage, I'll hang my head in shame. They know better than to do that.
  11. I want my band to go up there,just have a guitar that s not flashy,and a bare drum set then sing Angel of Harlem,no matter what the audience wants,wouldn't that be nice ?
  12. Originally posted by popmartsarajevo:I want my band to go up there,just have a guitar that s not flashy,and a bare drum set then sing Angel of Harlem,no matter what the audience wants,wouldn't that be nice ?

no