1. What does this even mean? For one, they are definitely much more into Pop/Alternative than traditional American Rock'n'Roll. Secondly, in terms of their performance preferences, they've shown an ability to perform in arenas, stadiums, festivals, and intimate venues, often all in the same tour cycle.

Hating Coldplay is all well and good, but come on now. If you're going to do it, at least show you understand exactly what it is you're hating. Chris being a wanker is a great reason to hate Coldplay. To say that they've realized partnering with a black Pop singer is a good way to get easy money is another good reason to dislike Coldplay.
  2. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]
    What does this even mean? For one, they are definitely much more into Pop/Alternative than traditional American Rock'n'Roll. Secondly, in terms of their performance preferences, they've shown an ability to perform in arenas, stadiums, festivals, and intimate venues, often all in the same tour cycle.

Hating Coldplay is all well and good, but come on now. If you're going to do it, at least show you understand exactly what it is you're hating. Chris being a wanker is a great reason to hate Coldplay. To say that they've realized partnering with a black Pop singer is a good way to get easy money is another good reason to dislike Coldplay.
    Ghost Stories was all small, and Head Full of Dreams is all stadium as far as I'm aware. I don't count the big-name mass market festivals as part of the creative tour, not sure how commonplace that is categorization-wise for others.

To me every tour should ideally be like ZooTV where there is an evolution one way or the other with long-runs playing stadium shows in North America, being my least favorite preference.

There just seems to be ZERO level of intrigue with the band anymore, especially pointing to the fact that the Ghost Stories tour had minimal deep cut performances in it.
  3. A Head Full of Dreams has been in both stadiums and arenas in the same leg of the tour. Also, they are the first band to have performed at Glastonbury three times and Glastonbury hardly counts as a big-name mass market festival.

The fact you are comparing AHFOD tour with Ghost Stories shows that you really don't know what you're talking about here. Ghost Stories was intentionally made small, with very few tour stops. The more apt comparison would be to look at the MX Tour, which was exclusively stadiums, but had to be cut short.

If you want to compare things to ZooTV, the only tour that really stands up to it is 360. Nothing else U2 has done can honestly live up to the spectacle of ZooTV and no other tour from any other band has really been able to live up to that spectacle either.
  4. Originally posted by ahn1991:If you want to compare things to ZooTV, the only tour that really stands up to it is 360. Nothing else U2 has done can honestly live up[...]
    Some examples of straw-man arguments here.

You said that Coldplay have 'shown an ability to play a variety of different types of venues' but the discerning fan doesn't think in terms of what places the band can physically play in but what makes for the best lore and content to appreciate for fans with each tour, and this latest one just seems SO dull.
  5. I really have to disagree with that. Coldplay's Xylobands are probably the best thing to happen to live concerts since U2 introduced TV screens. In the same way the Claw was a form of audience engagement, Xylobands have done the same thing, except in a far more effective and far less costly method. Your observations are incredibly lacking in specific detail, so it gives me the impression that you are making these observations from an incredible distance.
  6. I'll look out for a ticket for either Cardiff 1 or 2 when they drop in the next year. Not exactly a priority (since the tickets are £85!!! - Madness) but seeing the Xylobands in proper darkness would be cool.

Also depends on what sort of stuff is going to be on the new EP/what's on the setlist in Australia/Asia.
  7. You really have to be in a concert to be able to appreciate what the Xylobands add to the experience. I was genuinely surprised myself when I went. This is also one of those things that gives an incentive for people to actually "participate" in the show, so you if happen to be with a crowd that isn't the walking dead, you'll get a whole lot more out of it.
  8. As I mentioned earlier in this thread...

9. Looking forward to this one. Also hoping it could inspire a certain Irish quartet to release EPs every so often.
  10. I will be going to the Melbourne show in December, anybody going let me know , keen for a meet up!