1. It feels really soon for a Coldplay album, I'm excited when I listen to the songs but on a regular basis I don't feel like we are due for a Coldplay album yet.
  2. Yeah, the lack of excitement is something really spread among the coldplayers it seems. Bad lyrics help, but also this "out of the blue!" approach, which is great, but it kinds of puts fans off the good ol' buildup.
  3. It's certainly a surprise, but when a band tries a new direction, I hope that it doesn't sound like a lot of what else is out there right now.

You've got bands like Bon Iver, Explosions in the Sky, etc that are releasing much more melancholy, ambient approaches to indie rock. In my opinion, Coldplay nailed their shot at that with their debut, and have only grown since then. The previews I've heard of the new album are how I would expect "Parachutes" to sound if this was Coldplay's debut in 2014.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but every Coldplay album has been great because its been not just a new sound from the band, but something that you're not necessarily hearing in the music scene. I listened to "Midnight," which is arguably the most different song of the ones we know, and thought "Yeah, I feel like I've heard this in a few different incarnations in the past 5 years"

The out of the blue approach only works if the music is as exciting as the tactic.

I hope everyone really enjoys this album and Coldplay keeps climbing the success ladder. But my prediction is that this is going to be a setback.
  4. I couldn't agree more, Matt.
  5. I agree on the sound - definitely not on the setback prediction. It's gonna be a massive success whatever they do - they're just on the top of their game with the arguably most charismatic frontman of the whole scene, and they could release an album of kid lullabies with German lyrics and people would still be thrilled.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:I agree on the sound - definitely not on the setback prediction. It's gonna be a massive success whatever they do - they're just on the top of their game with the arguably most charismatic frontman of the whole scene, and they could release an album of kid lullabies with German lyrics and people would still be thrilled.

Maybe critically, it's going to get panned. On a more relevant note, this could and probably will be the album that alienates their fans. I appreciate the drastic change in sound, but I agree it will be a setback. I want to see Coldplay do as well as everybody else but I cannot see this album doing them favours.

I better stop before I just replicate Matt's post.
  7. Maybe I've got to find a good translation for what a "setback" is then
  8. Ok, it doesn't exactly mean what I thought it did. Yeah, I mostly agree then.

Anyway, I might be missing the point, but we've heard only 2 songs so far?
  9. Well, four. They played a further two at the iTunes Festival,
  10. Hmmm I'm checking it out now. I heard Always In My Head but definitely not Another's Arms, gonna listen now. THanks!
  11. I don't see how this could be a setback? This is going to be much more critically acclaimed than Mylo Xyloto (do you guys remember the reviews saying, 'bombast, overblown') while this will be Coldplay taking a step down from trying to be so big. It could really work in their favor, the only thing is how many die-hards will not like it and how much influence do the people that hate it on Coldplaying.com have? All the casuals I know LOVE Magic, it seems to be an instant smash on their own terms.
  12. I think the opposite will be true - the diehards will love it, and nobody else that commonly listens to Coldplay (Viva La Vida, Clocks, Yellow) will understand it.

And critics said MX was "bombast and overblown" because it was. I highly suspect they'll say Ghost Stories is "misguided" and "lacking innovation" because it will be true, as well.