1. Shortish review this week due to my iPod video and Wembley remaster commitments and also due to a lack of feeling for this show.

2001-04-15 - Portland

Sound

I listened to the unedited recording and was impressed. It was very good throughout but just falls under that magic 4 star/excellent audience bracket. Individual crowd members were too prominent but there was a generally nice overall ambiance. Adam was pretty non existent and Edge was weak at times.

3.5/5

Performance

As the positives are few and far between I shall start by mentioning them first.

-Beautiful Day was nailed. Great vocal strength for 'Goal Is Soul!!'
    -A few nice historical references from Bono (briefcase, Larry Mullen Band etc)
    -I enjoyed The Sweetest Thing. Nice fun number and general crowd pleaser.
    -Staring At The Sun was a nice snippet but the crowd should have taken up the chorus and they just didn't . (See 2001-08-19 - London to hear the difference)
    -Gone was good.
    -Good to hear a proper length Bad but I can see why they shaved a few minutes off it for the rest of the tour. They ended the song then tried to seuge into Streets and they just didn't get it right.

Dislikes :

-Apart from whats mentioned above, I have no standout memories. The crowd was reasonably good but not excellent.
    -Sunday Bloody Sunday was sooo flat. Listen to the opening guitar part, theres no power in it.
    -Desire was dreadful. They hadn't decided yet whether to play it acoustically or half rocky and the performance suffered for it.
    -From Discotheque to Bad (barring Sweetest Thing) the gig hit the floor. No life or enthusiasm.
    -One/Amazing Grace/I Remember You just took out all the pace of the show again.

5/10

Summary

Mostly unimpressed. I'll keep The Sweetest Thing on the iPod but the rest shall be deleted to free up some much needed hard drive space. It was still early on the tour and the band obviously didn't know which direction to go. The setlist structure was very stop.start.stop.start and thus didn't flow to well. No stand out moments worth remembering. As a big fan of the Elevation Tour I have been left a little cold.
  2. Could whoever is due to pick the next show drop me a PM with their choice before they post it here. If I get enough notice I can search around to see if I can get better sound from the show my doing a fresh conversion from lossless.
  3. Originally posted by stj0691 I'm not the biggest fan of the Elevation tour because Still Haven't Found was left out, which also made me feel left out....

There are Elevation-gigs with I Still Haven't...try South Bend 2001-10-10 and be impressed. Probably one of the best Elevation gigs with the NY-nights and London Earl's Court.
  4. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

There are Elevation-gigs with I Still Haven't...try South Bend 2001-10-10 and be impressed. Probably one of the best Elevation gigs with the NY-nights and London Earl's Court.

Yea, but you're gonna laugh at this.... I'm looking for a show with Still Haven't Found and the Fly from Elevation. The only show with such is Chicago 2001-05-16 (7years ago tomorrow), and the Fly doesn't close the show. I'm movin on to the Vertigo tour to find my dream setlist...
  5. Originally posted by stj0691[..]

Yea, but you're gonna laugh at this.... I'm looking for a show with Still Haven't Found and the Fly from Elevation. The only show with such is Chicago 2001-05-16 (7years ago tomorrow), and the Fly doesn't close the show. I'm movin on to the Vertigo tour to find my dream setlist...

but I Still Haven't Found from that gig is a unique acoustic performance
  6. Originally posted by stj0691[..]

They cut The Fly after 9/11 and added ISHFWILF. Unlucky for you...only that Chicago-gig remains.
  7. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

They cut The Fly after 9/11 and added ISHFWILF. Unlucky for you...only that Chicago-gig remains.

I don't really understand why it(the fly) was cut. It's the perfect verison of the song. Sure, the version from the Vertigo tour is nice, but not as great as the Elevation ones. However, there is one exception to a certain Elevation gig which didn't have my fav 3 U2 songs, but is absolutely awesome...
  8. Originally posted by stj0691[..]

I don't really understand why it(the fly) was cut. It's the perfect verison of the song. Sure, the version from the Vertigo tour is nice, but not as great as the Elevation ones. However, there is one exception to a certain Elevation gig which didn't have my fav 3 U2 songs, but is absolutely awesome...

Don't move in Mysterious Ways..talk!!

Anyway..The Fly was removed because the shows after 9/11 were much more emotional. The Fly doesn't really fit in that image, ISHFWILF does...that's why, I think.
  9. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

Don't move in Mysterious Ways..talk!!

Anyway..The Fly was removed because the shows after 9/11 were much more emotional. The Fly doesn't really fit in that image, ISHFWILF does...that's why, I think.

Really? Wow. The Intro chorus to the Fly (Love, shine etc.) to me is so powerful and emotional. I can't really listen to the song anymore without my eyes watering up (I sang this to the seniors on their last day of school, you can find the story in general chat). Same goes for Still Haven't Found.

Another hint to that show... a song beneath your eyes is hidden away.
  10. Originally posted by stj0691[..]

Really? Wow. The Intro chorus to the Fly (Love, shine etc.) to me is so powerful and emotional. I can't really listen to the song anymore without my eyes watering up (I sang this to the seniors on their last day of school, you can find the story in general chat). Same goes for Still Haven't Found.

Another hint to that show... a song beneath your eyes is hidden away.

Here speaks the poet of U2Start...any other clue mate?
  11. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

Here speaks the poet of U2Start...any other clue mate?

Poet of U2, I love that. I wonder if i should change my sn to U2Poet...

Anyway, here's your 2nd clue (3 clues I assume)

This one is so pristine if you look at the general specific
  12. Originally posted by stj0691[..]

Poet of U2, I love that. I wonder if i should change my sn to U2Poet...

Anyway, here's your 2nd clue (3 clues I assume)

This one is so pristine if you look at the general specific

Phew...quite difficult..again. But are you talking about a specific song or the show itself??