1. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:[..]
    It makes no sense comparing U2's situation to other bands. Non of them were in their original line up for 40+ years. And none of them were talking for those 40+ years about that it ain't U2 when 1 of them would leave for whatever reason.

I have no problem for the 3 to continue and play whatever they want. I do have a problem with them calling themselves U2 though. I might even find it okay if they call themselves U2 featuring...(fill in Bram or whoever take over the drumseat)

But for now: i have no doubts the surgery is true and Larry will be back in the future 💪
    I concur with all of your points here.

I suppose the only reason I am even contemplating a Vegas show is the idea that (as Bono adamantly stated) this is a limited engagement, not a full-scale tour with a new line-up.

Hopeful that Larry will be back in 2024 after surgery. He indicated he still enjoyed the creative process and touring in the Washington Post interview last year so I'll take his word there.
  2. No Larry: No U2. I know the Rolling Stones have pulled this nonsense a few times, but that doesn't make it cool, Larry started the band!
  3. Originally posted by kezman:I refuse to accept it until Larry has pinned a note to the noticeboard at Mount Temple saying he is seeking to be out of a band.

I wonder if that will appear after these shows due to health, a lack of desire or both. If his temporary absence were to become permanent, then his bandmates and we fans face a big decision. Other bands have continued with a line-up change but for so many on this forum it seems that is a bridge too far - even on a temporary basis.
  4. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[..]

I wonder if that will appear after these shows due to health, a lack of desire or both. If his temporary absence were to become permanent, then his bandmates and we fans face a big decision. Other bands have continued with a line-up change but for so many on this forum it seems that is a bridge too far - even on a temporary basis.
    I would honestly be very baffled and probably become eventually uninterested in U2 if Larry isn't there anymore.
  5. Already nearly there myself already sadly.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Yeah I don't doubt he has physical issues that need addressing but he's had those problems going back 20 odd years and it didn't stop him touring, the odd thing was he choose to give some Z list journalist in the US his reasoning for missing the upcoming Vegas gigs rather than giving a statement via U2.com ,but as you say maybe he wants time out to consider his future with the band as maybe he hasn't enjoyed the last few years and the musical direction they have taken.

yeah thats my take on it too
  7. One of the things that I’ve always admired about U2 was that it was the same 4 guys throughout. Yes, Bono and Edge were always at the helm, but it really was a 4 legged table. But in the last 10 years it’s kind of felt like U2 are Bono and Edge, with Adam and Larry being 2 very well paid employees. Adam seems happy to just say “call me when you need me.” But Larry isn’t that type, never has been. It definitely seems like his devotion to U2 has been slowly slipping away.

Maybe we’re all wrong and he’ll be back with the band next year, ready to go.
  8. Originally posted by ap5:U2 are now fighting against their own marketing / myth-making. From the beginning of the band they have talked about how they are not collectively “great musicians” and that the music of U2 is a product of the 4 original members being in a room and “something special” happening. They created and sold the story for literally decades. It is certainly at least part of the reason some fans admire the band.

Now, however, it appears they are backing away from what they’ve said about the “magic” of the 4 of them. Was it all b.s. before? Probably, but it is a striking change of messaging from them. Times change, circumstances change.

Hell, the band has talked up their albums (like Pop) when selling them and then backed away from the marketing campaign and been much more overtly critical of the music later on. Maybe their views really did change. Or maybe, just maybe, they had a product to sell and money to be made, so they said things they didn’t 100% believe at the time. Maybe the “magic” of the 4 members has just been a myth and marketing the whole time. Only the band know.

This descibes my biggest fear: that we the fans believed in a fairy tale for 40+ years, and it turns out to be just marketing and nothing more....
  9. Originally posted by u2joost:[..]

This descibes my biggest fear: that we the fans believed in a fairy tale for 40+ years, and it turns out to be just marketing and nothing more....
    Faity tale is a bit far fetched. Life happens, simple as that.
  10. Originally posted by ap5:U2 are now fighting against their own marketing / myth-making. From the beginning of the band they have talked about how they are not collectively “great musicians” and that the music of U2 is a product of the 4 original members being in a room and “something special” happening. They created and sold the story for literally decades. It is certainly at least part of the reason some fans admire the band.

Now, however, it appears they are backing away from what they’ve said about the “magic” of the 4 of them. Was it all b.s. before? Probably, but it is a striking change of messaging from them. Times change, circumstances change.

Hell, the band has talked up their albums (like Pop) when selling them and then backed away from the marketing campaign and been much more overtly critical of the music later on. Maybe their views really did change. Or maybe, just maybe, they had a product to sell and money to be made, so they said things they didn’t 100% believe at the time. Maybe the “magic” of the 4 members has just been a myth and marketing the whole time. Only the band know.

Very Interesting Perspective ...All I know is The Magic Was There When I Saw U2 Live In 1987 ...THE GREATEST CONCERT OF MY ENTIRE LIFE.........
  11. I still saw the magic of the 4 members of U2 during JT tour 2017 playing together. Only a few yards aqay from each order. U2 without Larry is no U2. With Paul McGuinnes as manager this would never happen. Tour without Larry and another drummer. It's like the Doors without Jim Morrison or Queen without Freddy Mercury.
  12. The answer is still no for me. The proof will be in the Vegas shows. There simply has to be a massive shift in the dynamic on stage with Larry missing. Forty years. It can’t be the same.