1. Originally posted by ahn1991:Miami and Playboy Mansion share the title of worst U2 song in my book. I don't understand how those two can exist on the same album as Please and Staring At The Sun.

This is actually why I still consider Pop to be their downright weakest album. Pop felt confused, as if the band didn't know exactly what they wanted to say and just threw songs together randomly.

Yep. I think if they were able to "finish" it, meaning they finished getting proper mixes on each song (like the greatest hits version of Gone - masterpiece) and either switched out those two songs or did a TON of work on them, Pop would be up there with Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. It's the one album I'd like to see them go back and polish up, and judging by what the band has said about it looking back, they'd like to do the same.

I think it'd be a great way to release a remaster/reissue. Release a remastered version of the album as it is, and release a 2nd disc with new mixes and/or finished versions. However as many have pointed out, they're not in the same mindset as they were when they couldn't finish them back when they were trying to, so who knows how different a finished product back in 97 would be to a finished product now. Still, it'd be great to see something like that happen.
  2. Pearl Jam did somehting similar with Ten a couple of years ago. Of course that album didn't get the "heat" that Pop did.

At this point in time, you could put 8 of the 12 tracks together with their remixes: Staring At the Sun, Discotheque, and Gone have the 1990-2000 mixes; there are single mixes of If God Will Send His Angels, Please, and Last Night on Earth; the Jools Holland Mix of If You Weear That Velvet Dress; and there's a killer Mofo 2000 mix out there.

Not a bad ipod play list at this point in time.
  3. I would really like to see how the band would have completed the album if they didn't rush it as opposed to just releasing remixes.
  4. Miami and Playboy Mansion are right stinkers and the reason why Pop is one of my least favourite U2 albums.

I guess outside Pop my vote would go to A man and a woman. Just cannot stand that song.
  5. I agree with Miami and Playboy Mansion being awful (even if there are moments that are decent in them) but Pop as a whole is still excellent imo just because of how big of a reach they tried to extend their hand musically and i give them props for it. They haven't been as adventurous or daring since Pop.
  6. I skip Miami every time i listen to Pop. Maybe it will work for me some day. Doubt it though
  7. I don't skip any of the tracks from Pop.

Just saying.
  8. Listen to Miami from Leeds, it will change your opinion of it.
  9. IDK there are like an odd five U2-tracks you could really piss on, but bitching about Miami and Glastonbury is taking things way too far IMO. There are far worse songs by the band than those...

10. It "saves" the songs, doesn't it?

To be honest, the same thing happen for me with Bullet The Blue Sky and the great ZooTV versions. I was never a fan of the album version but I was blown away when I heard it played in 1992/1993.
  11. Either Miami or All Because of You
  12. I think this topic is pointless, I can't name a "worst" U2 song. I love em' all!