1. For such a song, The Edge prepares not even a guitar solo. I wish it was. I hope let's say 1 song on SOE it is. For the rest o.k. it has to grow on me.
  2. The riff itself is bland and boring, there's nothing remarkable about it. Edge is my favourite musician of all time, he's the reason I myself am one. But he hasn't really done much to inspire in a while. He seems to be running back to the same tropes again and again and again. His guitar work is fine these days, but it's not anything to write home about.
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:The riff itself is bland and boring, there's nothing remarkable about it. Edge is my favourite musician of all time, he's the reason I myself am one. But he hasn't really done much to inspire in a while. He seems to be running back to the same tropes again and again and again. His guitar work is fine these days, but it's not anything to write home about.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:The riff itself is bland and boring, there's nothing remarkable about it. Edge is my favourite musician of all time, he's the reason I myself am one. But he hasn't really done much to inspire in a while. He seems to be running back to the same tropes again and again and again. His guitar work is fine these days, but it's not anything to write home about.
    I think he has become more and more a minimalist since HTDAAB

5. Agreed. The thing is, it's not even always that I'm sick of his delayed, slightly overdriven tonal thing, because when used right and with a well-written part it can still be great. But take Iris for example, he does that tried-and-true Edge sound, but he just plays like three notes, on a single string, etc. It's just like "really? That's it?"

I've been appreciating the quieter tracks on NLOTH so much more lately because while the tone of his guitars aren't amazing or groundbreaking or whatever, they're minimalist while still being interesting. Interesting for him to write. Cedars has a great guitar part because it fits the song so well, and then he busts out the infinite guitar for those eerie coastal vibes. It's damn fantastic. Winter is another track where his guitar tone is typical, but well written.

It's almost as though he's trying really hard lately to have a "cool" riff, but it ends up just being generic and sort of boring.
  6. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

[..]

Agreed. The thing is, it's not even always that I'm sick of his delayed, slightly overdriven tonal thing, because when used right and with a well-written part it can still be great. But take Iris for example, he does that tried-and-true Edge sound, but he just plays like three notes, on a single string, etc. It's just like "really? That's it?"

I've been appreciating the quieter tracks on NLOTH so much more lately because while the tone of his guitars aren't amazing or groundbreaking or whatever, they're minimalist while still being interesting. Interesting for him to write. Cedars has a great guitar part because it fits the song so well, and then he busts out the infinite guitar for those eerie coastal vibes. It's damn fantastic. Winter is another track where his guitar tone is typical, but well written.

It's almost as though he's trying really hard lately to have a "cool" riff, but it ends up just being generic and sort of boring.
    Fully agree on NLOTH. These tracks are absolutely amazing. I have to say that I really like the new songs (great 'small' melodies) as well.
  7. yeah..he's work has become sloppy at times sorry to say but the Edge has NOT been living on the Edge since 2001
  8. That Should of been in the Drunk Thread a few to many, NLOTH amazing guitar work...goodness that was silly
  9. i like the song tbh
  10. The above posts are accurate. The riff isn't much to love. I miss the solos of ZooTV Bullet.
  11. Definitely better GOOYOW. But I find it a bit strange that they used the part from Volcano as the chorus?

(Also was hoping for a guitar solo at the end)
  12. Everytime someone mentions how they dislike Volcano...