1. I thought this was an obvious one. Great line. I take the painted glass to mean the stained glass windows in churches therefore religion.

When religion shatters, you’re the only thing that matters.
  2. "Sometimes I'll full of anger and grieving, so far away from believing that the sun will reappear" thats deep as hell
  3. Indeed! We thought it was "that every/any song will reappear" and it kind of made sense for a songwriter, but now knowing it's "the sun"... Well that takes it to a completely new level of desperation. It's a blow below the belt to the most fundamental of all things, the recurrence of sunrise/sunset. It's the acknowledgement that, well, you're well fucked up.

I prefer not to think too much about this song because it gives all the negative vibes. Ever since we saw it played live in Vancouver for the first time.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Indeed! We thought it was "that every/any song will reappear" and it kind of made sense for a songwriter, but now knowing it's "the sun"... Well that takes it to a completely new level of desperation. It's a blow below the belt to the most fundamental of all things, the recurrence of sunrise/sunset. It's the acknowledgement that, well, you're well fucked up.

I prefer not to think too much about this song because it gives all the negative vibes. Ever since we saw it played live in Vancouver for the first time.
    sorry but what negative vibes you feel? I feel some too, to me is something like "the end is near", almost suicidal
  5. Not suicidal, more like the end of the band, the end of our lives together.
  6. But at the same time Bono comforts us with the "Sometimes". It's a recurring thought, but only appears "on occasions", which I think is fine. Montaigne used to say "the premeditation of death is the premeditation of freedom". At that point in your life you start to think about all sorts of things. To live like nothing is going to change or end would be foolish. Knowing Bono, he was thinking "sometimes I think the end is near, sometimes I want to keep eating the world and be badass".
  7. Good points overall, but omitting the "eat the world" part and just leaving it at "feel like dying" ain't precisely comforting.
  8. important to remember that he has had some variety in his personal situation in the last couple of years, so what was on his mind when he wrote this song is not necessarily what is on his mind now...
  9. I prefer the live version, guitar, bass, drums, piano. (come lazy bono learn to play piano, not only the sweetest thing!). stripped down.
  10. Sometimes this song just makes me really sad, but I love it so much.
  11. Damn, this is such a dark song. It's beautiful, but I wonder where it comes from. Not sure if I wanna know either.
  12. Originally posted by dieder:Damn, this is such a dark song. It's beautiful, but I wonder where it comes from. Not sure if I wanna know either.
    yeah it is hauntingly beautiful