1. Originally posted by ahn1991:This is the fourth song on the album, but it shines as the first true masterpiece of the album. The sound starts off quiet and gradually builds through the chorus to form a beautiful ballad. The lyrics are pretty simple, but very powerful. I would go so far as to say that this song is a modernized incarnation of "With or Without You." Both this song and the latter feature lyrics that speak about the powerful emotions associated with love and relationships. Not to say that With or Without You is outdated, but the sound of this song more strongly correlates to the present time.

If there were ever to be a song that replaces With or Without You on a live set, this would definitely be that song.

10/10

I feel hints of With Or Without You as well!
  2. After first listen yesterday I would say it's a song for the Eurovision song contest, but it's too BIG for that event. After several listenings today I can say it's a FUCKING BRILLIANT SONG!!!
  3. Beatiful one !
  4. Only downside here is the rather dull solo from The Edge. Even the solo from Miracle Drug was better. Although I imagine he will alter that live.
  5. Most Edge solos are dull Unknown Caller was an obvious exception but otherwise he's not precisely the best soloist around..
  6. I think my favourite guitar part from this album might be the end of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight. That song is basically a Zooropa song and that makes me happy.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:Most Edge solos are dull Unknown Caller was an obvious exception but otherwise he's not precisely the best soloist around..

See: Bullet The Blue Sky any tour after The Joshua Tree (but even the original solo is cool)

P.S I know you know, Sergio
  8. I had my first real connection with the album last night. After the excitement settled and I could let it sink in that this was indeed the new set of U2 songs that would be forever cemented into their catalogue…I heard the album as a whole, and for what it is, and really listened….and this song delivered that moment.

There is a sincerity in the vocals that is absent on just about every other song - even The Troubles and Raised by Wolves. "And there is a light, don't let it go out." is the best line on the album for me. A song that identifies a glimmer of hope in the darkness and makes you feel like that glimmer is just about to disappear - so you'd better hold on closely, and carefully, and lovingly.

This is the U2 music that resonates with me long term, and reminds me why I'm such a big fan of this band to begin with.
  9. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:I had my first real connection with the album last night. After the excitement settled and I could let it sink in that this was indeed the new set of U2 songs that would be forever cemented into their catalogue…I heard the album as a whole, and for what it is, and really listened….and this song delivered that moment.

There is a sincerity in the vocals that is absent on just about every other song - even The Troubles and Raised by Wolves. "And there is a light, don't let it go out." is the best line on the album for me. A song that identifies a glimmer of hope in the darkness and makes you feel like that glimmer is just about to disappear - so you'd better hold on closely, and carefully, and lovingly.

This is the U2 music that resonates with me long term, and reminds me why I'm such a big fan of this band to begin with.

It might have become my favourite too. It touches me and I can't explain directly why. Your description might be the reason.
  10. One of my favorites too!
  11. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:I had my first real connection with the album last night. After the excitement settled and I could let it sink in that this was indeed the new set of U2 songs that would be forever cemented into their catalogue…I heard the album as a whole, and for what it is, and really listened….and this song delivered that moment.

Yes, yes, yes. This is the exact song and moment where I was extremely happy to be a U2 fan. Such a simple, understated song that doesn't need to prove it's worth like other songs. It's just simply, a song for someone, take it over leave it. My favorite Bono vocal on the album, and maybe in a long time.
  12. Agreed. It hit me in the second day, I felt like I was the "someone" Bono was singing to. Forget about Ali or Morleigh. For me, it will be a song to someone that is going trough a rough period and wants to hold on to the light. One of my favorites no doubt.