1. Originally posted by mrbullet:No. It would ruin the 3 album cycle they seem to have adopted.

Phase 1
    Boy
    October ----------------------------------------- EARLY DAYS
    War

phase 2
    Unforgettable fire
    Joshua tree ---------------------------------- CHANGE & GROW
    Rattle & hum

phase3
    Achtung Baby
    Zooropa --------------------------------------- GIANT LEAP FORWARD/EXPERIMENTATION
    POP

phase4
    All that you can't leave behind
    Atomic bomb --------------------------------- CLASSIC SONGWRITING/BACK TO BASICS
    No line on the horizon

Even the 'look' of the band is similar in each phase.

Dear mrmullet, Bono didn't have a mullet in 1987.

2. Adam did speak up actually. He was the first one to say Every Breaking Wave is a long song.

The press only picks up on Edge and Bono's comments, because the other two aren't that important - or so most people don't realise.
  3. Also, the band didn't look similar at all from ZooTV to POP. Huge change in fashion there...

4. true, but it's still a similar idea.

for example, their fashion sense around Zoo TV looks more similar to the Pop era than, say, TUF.
  5. Originally posted by wangmaster:[..]

true, but it's still a similar idea.

for example, their fashion sense around Zoo TV looks more similar to the Pop era than, say, TUF.

Yeah, mullets went, sadly, out of fashion.
  6. Originally posted by mrbullet:No. It would ruin the 3 album cycle they seem to have adopted.

Phase 1
    Boy
    October ----------------------------------------- EARLY DAYS
    War

phase 2
    Unforgettable fire
    Joshua tree ---------------------------------- CHANGE & GROW
    Rattle & hum

phase3
    Achtung Baby
    Zooropa --------------------------------------- GIANT LEAP FORWARD/EXPERIMENTATION
    POP

phase4
    All that you can't leave behind
    Atomic bomb --------------------------------- CLASSIC SONGWRITING/BACK TO BASICS
    No line on the horizon

Even the 'look' of the band is similar in each phase.

I disagree with you a bit.....

For me it's more like:

EARLY DAYS:
    Boy
    October
    War

EXPERIMENTATIONS BEGIN:
    The Unforgettable Fire
    Joshua Tree
    Rattle and Hum

EXPERIMENTATION TAKES OVER or POWERFUL 90's:
    Achtung Baby
    Zooropa
    Pop

BACK TO THE ROOTS:
    All That You Can't Leave Behind
    How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

EXPERIMENTSTIONS REBEGIN:
    No Line on The Horizon

EXPERIMENTATION TAKES OVER AGAIN:
    Songs of Ascent (hopefully)

I don't think that their style or fashion has that much to do with this... I think more on their minds.... like on early days... the rebellation of post punk, religion and insecurity, with the unforgettable fire began the search for their identity trying many sounds, than with the 90's the big ironies, then came the back to the roots this century, when they were trying to make straight forward music... and now they seem to have changed a bit... feel like they want to experiment and they have a lot of experiences to have an idea of where to go... just needs courage!

7. Removed.
  8. I don't think NLOTH was experimental at all, in terms of deviating away from what they've done the past few albums. They added a couple electronic sounds, some sounds from Fez and what not, and voila, brand new sound? Don't think so.

Even GOYB, I hope that wasn't supposed to be like going from JT to The Fly (in terms of a new single). It sounds a lot like Fast Cars, doesn't have that much experimentation going on, there are some new melodies in there (as far as U2's music goes) but it's really not that much of a change as far as the bare bones of the music is concerned. Maybe this new album will be the changes they made going from Bomb to NLOTH, but more so. That's what i'm hoping for. Zooropa was sort of a follow-up to AB in the way that they went even deeper into the experimentation they did on AB. I hope Songs of Ascent goes much, MUCH, deeper, because there wasn't that much experimentation to begin with.
  9. I'm inclined to say yes to sometime in 2010. They wrote and recorded "Stranded" in a couple of days -- no reason they can't take all the songs they've been working on and come up with an album in a few months.

I would like to see the new album called "No Line On The Horizon Vol. II" with the NLOTH2 as the first or last song on the album.
  10. Originally posted by BonoIsTheMessiah:I'm inclined to say yes to sometime in 2010. They wrote and recorded "Stranded" in a couple of days -- no reason they can't take all the songs they've been working on and come up with an album in a few months.

I would like to see the new album called "No Line On The Horizon Vol. II" with the NLOTH2 as the first or last song on the album.

With all do respect, I disagree. I think that would be a horrible album name. For one, it just sounds bad, if the album is supposed to have a new personality, or even any bit of originality, it would have a different name. Also, if people didn't like the last album, and they think "oh, i'll give this new one a try", the chances of them giving this new one a try are limited if it's basically a continuation of NLOTH. U2 say's it's different, so it needs a different name. They're even talking about different styles, like folk, or electronica, so a new title is definitely needed.
  11. I have a feeling the next thing we see will be the Rick Rubin sort of things, i bet the band feels like it is still relevant to the charts (even though they shouldn't care). They are going to want a big hit single, and with Rubin and his status of giving people hits, they are going to want to go on the "safer" route.

I think the band are worried they are going to become like the Rolling Stones and if they continue to make "experimental" songs, casual listeners will lose interest -_-. Im all for 'Kingdom' 'Winter' like songs but i dont think that would be the smartest decision. Heck they might even need a collaboration with a young celebrity to draw in the album and single sales.
  12. Ended!

Do you believe in a new U2 album this summer? (started on 2010-01-04)

I don't know, could still go both ways - 24.3%
    Just yes, I do - 21.4%
    Yes, they did Zooropa didn't they? - 17.5%
    Just no, I don't - 13.3%
    Yes, if Bono says so! - 8.2%
    No, just because Bono said yes - 7.9%
    No, just not enough time for a good album - 7.4%

Votes: 782