1. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]
    I think the problem is that social distancing works, but it’s extremely costly. 6 months down the line it will be a social disaster, with millions of unemployed etc. I hope I’m wrong. But GDP is falling 30% or so. Unemployment here in Austria has gone from 4 to 14% in three weeks. Schools for smaller kids — Kindergartens, elementary schools — are all closed for the foreseeable future.

Here’s the problem as I see it. We can avoid massive death tolls. But at the cost of freezing the economy. It’s not because the curve is going down that we’re out of the woods. Start normal life again, and the Italy / NY specter is right behind the corner.

Life will have to be abnormal for a long time. We’re getting used to looking after our small children in turns and to working every other day. Who knows when Kindergartens will be open again. And good luck to us working a full time job while looking after the small kids...
    Guess it all depends on where you live/what work you do and how the virus is controlled in individual countries.

I could see a "new version" of the economy opening up here in a couple of weeks where the distancing is respected. Guess the other healthcare will be first, then more regular work settings, then stores/restaurants with strict guidelines etc.

Big festivals or concerts I don't see happening here untill the fall (at least)..
  2. Can’t see big events happening until a vaccine is widely available.

There’ll be a second wave, probably. So no point just going back to concerts in autumn.

3. “Safer at home” doesn’t apply to Beijing?
  4. They've "flattened the curve" 1 month before Europe and prob 6 weeks before the US, so with the right measures they can start up some parts of their economy again?
  5. I don’t think it ever got too bad in major cities in China. I know America was expected to have deaths in the 100-250k zone but we are around 29,000 now.
  6. Originally posted by tampapete:I don’t think it ever got too bad in major cities in China. I know America was expected to have deaths in the 100-250k zone but we are around 29,000 now.
    It was probably so much worse in China and we will never know exactly what in the hell they were actually doing. Those people didn’t leave there house for two months and it worked. We have much more loose restrictions.
  7. I am actually now surprised U2 isn't doing anything for the Global Citizen concert.

The Rolling Stones are billed and they are living in different countries, Mick in France, Keith in the USA, Charlie and Ronnie in the UK. Their performance would be pre-recorded I assume but still. U2 could do something similar.

8. We should all be like Adam in 1997. If he was able to dress up like this in front of thousands of people and stay safe, then you can too.
  9. Why is not U2 attending One World: Together at Home today?