1. Since we're all having fun with IEM stuff today, I'll post a recent story.

Recorded the National in San Francisco the other night. They're very open taping, their manager in particular has been in the taper scene for decades. I was walked in backstage before soundcheck with a bunch of gear with me. Got to chat with the monitor engineer, took picture of his transmitters (with frequency + names), and chatted about the IEM ranges and specific mixes. We were mutually introduced to each other as "Long time monitor engineer" and I was "Long time monitor stealer", which was amusing. Got to watch soundcheck (not enough time to setup recording).

Ended up pulling 12x stereo feeds, while a friend of mine did the SBD + Mics from soundboard cage.

First time I've recorded wireless so blatantly open!
  2. What type of receiver? ICOM scanner?

Kind of sounds like you locked into an intermod scanner, which is basically a "mirror" frequency that the scanners can pick up, except they're weaker and distort on loud material. It can like the main frequency is 699.7mhz, whereas you pick it up on scanner in 599.3mhz or something like that. I recall meeting the taper slickmode in spring 2005 where he recorded Bono IEM three shows straight on the intermodulation frequency and had no idea why his was so bad.

Took quick listen. The louder distortion is rough. You might be able to do some work by stem splitting it (my favorite is demucs but RX has a not-as-good option with the music rebalancer). The deconstruct module on the vocals/other stems might be able to take out a lot of distortion, but it's also easy to take music out. Do you have an audience to mix with it that might smooth over any artifacts?
  3. Cool story! New album of the National is great. Hope they play Amsterdam. And hope your recording comes out.
  4. Originally posted by Pipo:Cool story! New album of the National is great. Hope they play Amsterdam. And hope your recording comes out.
    Working on mix--release will depend on what band manager is comfortable with
  5. Originally posted by hoserama:Since we're all having fun with IEM stuff today, I'll post a recent story.

Recorded the National in San Francisco the other night. They're very open taping, their manager in particular has been in the taper scene for decades. I was walked in backstage before soundcheck with a bunch of gear with me. Got to chat with the monitor engineer, took picture of his transmitters (with frequency + names), and chatted about the IEM ranges and specific mixes. We were mutually introduced to each other as "Long time monitor engineer" and I was "Long time monitor stealer", which was amusing. Got to watch soundcheck (not enough time to setup recording).

Ended up pulling 12x stereo feeds, while a friend of mine did the SBD + Mics from soundboard cage.

This is awesome!

Are The National a fairly widely-taped band? I've seen them several times over the last 10 years but never thought to look for a boot.
  6. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    This is awesome!

Are The National a fairly widely-taped band? I've seen them several times over the last 10 years but never thought to look for a boot.
    Moderately well taped. I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of recordings of them on archive.org and such. I haven't seen them since 2016 (missed last couple times through my way) and Friday's show was great, almost 2.5 hours.
  7. Glad to hear they're still putting on heaters, I remember Matt walking across the tops of seatbacks (and the people in them!) in the theater howling "Mr November" the first time I saw them.
  8. It was a big large theater open GA floor. Ventured through it all during Graceless, which is even more fun since they're still used a wired (!!!) microphone.
  9. Originally posted by hoserama:[..]
    What type of receiver? ICOM scanner?

Kind of sounds like you locked into an intermod scanner, which is basically a "mirror" frequency that the scanners can pick up, except they're weaker and distort on loud material. It can like the main frequency is 699.7mhz, whereas you pick it up on scanner in 599.3mhz or something like that. I recall meeting the taper slickmode in spring 2005 where he recorded Bono IEM three shows straight on the intermodulation frequency and had no idea why his was so bad.

Took quick listen. The louder distortion is rough. You might be able to do some work by stem splitting it (my favorite is demucs but RX has a not-as-good option with the music rebalancer). The deconstruct module on the vocals/other stems might be able to take out a lot of distortion, but it's also easy to take music out. Do you have an audience to mix with it that might smooth over any artifacts?
    yep an icom scanner,

Had trouble finding a frequency so when I found this I just stuck with it,makes sense with hitting on a "mirror" frequency . Had found a really good feed for the support act (which I didnt record - was just fun to listen too)

I have rx10 so will try stem splitting using this, I also have the la.la.ai so might give that a try aswell
  10. Originally posted by hoserama:Since we're all having fun with IEM stuff today, I'll post a recent story.

this is such a wild story
  11. Originally posted by hoserama:It was a big large theater open GA floor. Ventured through it all during Graceless, which is even more fun since they're still used a wired (!!!) microphone.
    Yes I remember his microphone wire from way back when, too! England was always my favorite song by them.
  12. Originally posted by hindutimes01:[..]
    yep an icom scanner,

Had trouble finding a frequency so when I found this I just stuck with it,makes sense with hitting on a "mirror" frequency . Had found a really good feed for the support act (which I didnt record - was just fun to listen too)

I have rx10 so will try stem splitting using this, I also have the la.la.ai so might give that a try aswell
    la.la.ai charges per minute though doesn't it?

I do love the demucs v4 (fine-tuned). I use the command line version, but I think the new ultimate vocal remover program has the demucs models included. It takes a lot of processing time, but is lovely for IEM mixing.