1. Originally posted by robbie07[..]

your right bono IS a very smart and complex guy.
    but if his ego didnt accept this award why did accept it?
    did he accept it with an ironic smile? - because this is not a subject to be smart and ironic about.
    i mean, to say its an act of treason is a bit much [sorry macfistfly], but every single person who i spoke to about his knighthood have said they have lost their respect for him.
    id like to say i havent lost my repsect for him ... but i probobly have ....

I think he accepted this for the very same reason he met George W. Bush. I recalled many friends saying that was a paradox given Bono written Bullet the blue sky, for instance. But then he said he would dinner with the devil to ensure a donative for the Drop the Debt campaign. Not so many ago, I read this biography in which I found an episode from the 80's. U2 was in Memphis and heard the afroamerican artists had a protest because the city wasn't to organize an act to remember Martin Luther King's birthday. It was during their first gigs to the USA, prior to the Unforgettable Fire, I guess. Well, they considered to join the protest and not to play their dates, but eventually thay did. When Bono was asked for an explanation he said there were more chances to call attention by playing, and he could mention that in the show, which would bring awareness to people's minds. My opinion of this guy is that he ain't the rock-rebel who clashes the system. He gets into it and tries to change things from within. I see the knighthood very coherent to that.
  2. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

And so redguitaronfire it appears we'll be adversaries from this point on

Violence is necessary in self-defense thats what i meant, and standing up for your people is patriotic.
    If it didn't happen in the USA, she would still be controlled by England .
    I admitted that i believe the IRA are far from perfect (The enniskillen bombing, as i'll give it to you, is a good point to bring up in IRA criticism)
    But i wouldn't let the well paid lead singer of a rock band far away from the troubles be my main source on this pal, you need to research it ,to understand where we come from on this.

And for accepting this award, yes Bono is a traitor, and in spite of your opinion or anything you may have to say Ireland sides with me, because Ireland remembers these atrocities.
    It is not just his people today he has dissapointed, but his forefathers who died defeating the enemy he bowed down before, if thats not treachery, what is?

(And believe me friend, i am quite confident in my understanding of Irish history. I am not some cold-blooded one-sider, i know the real history. Not just the stories in books the one's written in Journals, and books not published. The one's held deep in the heart of towns, and forests. Simply put to you buddy, i know this country, you don't and your argument is debased. )

No adversaries, man. Only different point of views. Look, I don't agree with many points in your former messgge and we can keep giving examples to prove our points but I don't think it will lead us somewhere. Given the kind of things we're talking about neither you or me need to prove something to the other. Time itself will show how right or wrong is each. We'll see it in our lives, not in a forum. And my original point wasn't to demonstrate you violence is wrong. My point is you're overreacting to Bono. He didn't requested british nationality, the knighthood doesn't imply he has to become a guard of the UK policies, and it comes from an institution which is more simbolical nowadays, not a truly political influence. It is only a recognition to his talent, but merely that. If you see the other way around, it also means Bono is one of the few irish the crown can't reject, that's why I wrote about the ironic smile.
    Yet, you don't have to agree with him. Larry didn't. But it's not upon speeches of historical background or theories on how many justifications violence may have, or if it's necessary or not. He disagreed and simply didn't go. A protest as simbolical as Bono's knighthood.

3. I am merely representing the view of the Irish people, and we are all very offended by this move, you are entitled to your view, but there was no 'symbolic' gesture in mine.
  4. Originally posted by MacphistflyI'm sure that this post will be met with some hesitation, but the fact that he's Irish and accepting a British award is just non-ethical.
    Yes he's doing a great service for charity, but Ireland was in ruins not 20 yrs ago partially thanks to England.
    So my fandom is quite reduced indeed.

*Props to Larry for not showing up*

I suppose that he shouldve tried to leverage the recepience (is that a word?) of his knighthood into GBR taking a more proactive stance in aid with Ireland. I understand its a great honor but it wouldve been 10x cooler if he'd declined
  5. I think bono did this because of he thinks it will improve his charity work. He says it will 'open new doors'. In my opinion he didn't do it for his ego...
  6. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]
    And for accepting this award, yes Bono is a traitor, and in spite of your opinion or anything you may have to say Ireland sides with me, because Ireland remembers these atrocities.
    It is not just his people today he has dissapointed, but his forefathers who died defeating the enemy he bowed down before, if thats not treachery, what is?

C'mon, gimme a break...

Do you want to see what was happening in my country 15 years ago?

Here you go:

My people were for centuries under someone else's rule. Last we were with 5 other countries known as Yugoslavia.

On June 25, 1991 we declared independence. Serbs didn't like that idea. What was following you can see on YouTube links above. About 15k people (2k are still missing) died for freedom of my country in just few years (and this is quite big number if you take fact that Croatia has population of 4.5 million people.)

Today I don't blame serbians. I just don't want to live in past and hatred against any other man. Cos we're all brothers. Am I traitor of my country because today I want to live in peace with serbs and because some of them are my friends?
  7. Originally posted by Yogi[..]

C'mon, gimme a break...

Do you want to see what was happening in my country 15 years ago?

Here you go:
    [YouTube Video]
    [YouTube Video]
    [YouTube Video]
    [YouTube Video]

My people were for centuries under someone else's rule. Last we were with 5 other countries known as Yugoslavia.

On June 25, 1991 we declared independence. Serbs didn't like that idea. What was following you can see on YouTube links above. About 15k people (2k are still missing) died for freedom of my country in just few years (and this is quite big number if you take fact that Croatia has population of 4.5 million people.)

Today I don't blame serbians. I just don't want to live in past and hatred against any other man. Cos we're all brothers. Am I traitor of my country because today I want to live in peace with serbs and because some of them are my friends?

Or to quote Bono's words at the Point Depot show, the opening of the New Year Show, when they played Where the Streets Have No Name: 'Let's forget the past and embrace the future'...