1. I guess my problem is that I just refuse to believe that Get out of your own Way is the type of songs that men their age want to write. If it is then fair enough but it’s not the music I want and I’ll have to call it a day if that is the direction they are going.

I will say that I’ve never been as nervous about hearing a new U2 record. That should stand for something.
  2. Zooropa is funny and was a welcome and non expected surprise. I know that you don't like Numb but I like it. Stay is a masterpiece (imo). SOI is a very average pop album with zero highlights and I bought it because it's U2.

It's a matter of taste
  3. Originally posted by TheUglyOne:[..]
    Zooropa is funny and was a welcome and non expected surprise. I know that you don't like Numb but I like it. Stay is a masterpiece (imo). SOI is a very average pop album with zero highlights and I bought it because it's U2.

It's a matter of taste
    Indeed a matter of taste.

Altough Zooropa and Stay are the only very good songs on Zooropa.
  4. I hope Max will beat the shit out of you

5. SOI might not have a lot of highlights, however, it also doesn't have a lot of lowlights. Some people discuss NLOTH and argue that it is weak because it has a few highlights (MoS, UC, Magnificent, Winter) and a lot of lowlights (Boots, Crazy, SUC). What is better? I quite like SOI because it has a certain coherence which I am missing with NLOTH even though the highlights of NLOTH are better than any single song on SOI.
  6. Yeah, Dirty Day, Lemon and The First Time are so mediocre, right?

#offtopic

7. I liked SOI, I never got intor Zooropa. Zooropa was just so different, however, it had something many other U2 albums are lacking: it was consistent because they didn't rework it again and again.
  8. Yes thats my opinion. Lemon is awfull, First time boring. Dirty Day live is ok.
  9. U2 (Bono especially) have way too much baggage at this stage of their existence for any review to be completely impartial. It is rare for a review to simply focus on the songs. I understand that reviewers want to contextualise the work, but the fact remains that the hatred is so great that all objectivity gets skewed. It's the same with other polarising artists, e.g. Morrissey. Notice the amount of column inches of a review that go into his latest pronouncements before discussing his songs. When reviewing U2, every UK and Irish broadsheet review will mention the paradise papers, the SoI/apple thing, U2's age, Bono's stature/obnoxiousness, etc. It's just the way things are now for U2. Very hard for reviewers competing for views, shares, likes, bantz, yadda, yadda, to maintain perspective regardless of whether the album is the best or worst thing since Bomb, Baby, Boy or Behind. U2 have made their bed, now they have to lie in it. Only through the prism of time will we know where the album truly ranks in the scheme of things. This is all obvious stuff, I know, but worth keeping in mind for fans when wading through the impending avalanche of reviews. We've all been here before, I guess. Plus it's an outlet for dealing with the anticipation til the album drops/leaks.
  10. Originally posted by TheRefugee:U2 (Bono especially) have way too much baggage at this stage of their existence for any review to be completely impartial. It is rare for a review to simply focus on the songs. I understand that reviewers want to contextualise the work, but the fact remains that the hatred is so great that all objectivity gets skewed. It's the same with other polarising artists, e.g. Morrissey. Notice the amount of column inches of a review that go into his latest pronouncements before discussing his songs. When reviewing U2, every UK and Irish broadsheet review will mention the paradise papers, the SoI/apple thing, U2's age, Bono's stature/obnoxiousness, etc. It's just the way things are now for U2. Very hard for reviewers competing for views, shares, likes, bantz, yadda, yadda, to maintain perspective regardless of whether the album is the best or worst thing since Bomb, Baby, Boy or Behind. U2 have made their bed, now they have to lie in it. Only through the prism of time will we know where the album truly ranks in the scheme of things. This is all obvious stuff, I know, but worth keeping in mind for fans when wading through the impending avalanche of reviews. We've all been here before, I guess. Plus it's an outlet for dealing with the anticipation til the album drops/leaks.
    A truly GREAT post.
  11. Originally posted by TheRefugee:U2 (Bono especially) have way too much baggage at this stage of their existence for any review to be completely impartial. It is rare for a review to simply focus on the songs. I understand that reviewers want to contextualise the work, but the fact remains that the hatred is so great that all objectivity gets skewed. It's the same with other polarising artists, e.g. Morrissey. Notice the amount of column inches of a review that go into his latest pronouncements before discussing his songs. When reviewing U2, every UK and Irish broadsheet review will mention the paradise papers, the SoI/apple thing, U2's age, Bono's stature/obnoxiousness, etc. It's just the way things are now for U2. Very hard for reviewers competing for views, shares, likes, bantz, yadda, yadda, to maintain perspective regardless of whether the album is the best or worst thing since Bomb, Baby, Boy or Behind. U2 have made their bed, now they have to lie in it. Only through the prism of time will we know where the album truly ranks in the scheme of things. This is all obvious stuff, I know, but worth keeping in mind for fans when wading through the impending avalanche of reviews. We've all been here before, I guess. Plus it's an outlet for dealing with the anticipation til the album drops/leaks.
    At this point, the ticket debacle my overshadow the release itself, much like the audacity of giving people a free album overshadowed SOI.