1. Originally posted by deanallison:I'm all good with SOE not being too experimental. It doesn't need to be for the songs to be good. All I would like that's maybe been missing since Achtung Baby is a bit heavier guitar but I wouldn't consider that particularly experimental.
    Yeah, there's a difference between "experimental" and "sonically pleasing/interesting", and either or both would be fine, as long as the songwriting is great at its core. Acrobat isn't Zooropa (song), but it's still a fucking great song to listen to. The Little Things is a good start, and if The Best Thing turns out to be a track, that's their hit single right there.
  2. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Yeah, there's a difference between "experimental" and "sonically pleasing/interesting", and either or both would be fine, as long as the songwriting is great at its core. Acrobat isn't Zooropa (song), but it's still a fucking great song to listen to. The Little Things is a good start, and if The Best Thing turns out to be a track, that's their hit single right there.
    I'm afraid they won't get a hit single anymore. Or at least, I'm afraid they will be dissapointed they won't get a hit single anymore. I'm not talking about the quality of the songs, but I just think a band like U2 won't be able to really score a hit anymore. Coldplay might, but only with pouring a lot of cheese on the songs and I for sure hope U2 won't try to go that way. Times in music have changed. Sadly.

What is the last band that really got a hit? I mean Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys or even The Killers (poppy sound) aren't able to pull that off. Only Coldplay can and I don't think that's because of the music but more because of the fact that they are ''hip'' or ''mainstream'' nowadays (no offense meant) in the sense of their surroundings and their image.

I just hope U2 will let go off that pressure to get a hit or be relevant and just make the music they really want to make. Not overthinking or overproduce it, just do it.
  3. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    I'm afraid they won't get a hit single anymore. Or at least, I'm afraid they will be dissapointed they won't get a hit single anymore. I'm not talking about the quality of the songs, but I just think a band like U2 won't be able to really score a hit anymore. Coldplay might, but only with pouring a lot of cheese on the songs and I for sure hope U2 won't try to go that way. Times in music have changed. Sadly.

What is the last band that really got a hit? I mean Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys or even The Killers (poppy sound) aren't able to pull that off. Only Coldplay can and I don't think that's because of the music but more because of the fact that they are ''hip'' or ''mainstream'' nowadays (no offense meant) in the sense of their surroundings and their image.

I just hope U2 will let go off that pressure to get a hit or be relevant and just make the music they really want to make. Not overthinking or overproduce it, just do it.

What is a hit single anymore anyway?
  4. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

They could do a song with Maroon Five lol about the only band I can think of getting pop hits, even though I am not really into 90% of their post Moves Like Jagger songs.
  5. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

I know we always tend to say that, "make the music they want to make"

-what if that is the music they want to make? I know we all want to hope that U2's deep desire is to make thought provoking music that doesn't need to be catchy or hip, but is there anything wrong with that being their desire? To strive to be catchy and hip? I wish as much as the next person they'd put out another Passengers or Zooropa, but I think it's always been in U2's DNA to write catchy hooks and pop tunes. They were just always able to make the mainstream follow them before, rather than follow it themselves. If anything, THAT's what they should be not worrying about. The Little Things doesn't seem to be striving to be a pop hit, and that's a good sign.

The absolute LAST thing I want is for U2 to write their own "hymn to the weekend". Barf.

I really do think that The Best Thing could be big, and the version we've heard doesn't really compromise on anything the way that Coldplay have totally done.
  6. "U2 should stop trying so hard to be relevant" vs "I'm sad U2 won't be making hit singles anymore"
    Summary of every discussion on U2 and relevance.

Also, I think it's hilarious when people say U2 should make music the way they want to, then go on to talk about how bad their work post 2000 is. When you tell a band they should stop worrying about relevance and they should make music for themselves, you surrender your right to criticize them because you've literally told the band to disregard your opinions of their music.
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    I know we always tend to say that, "make the music they want to make"

-what if that is the music they want to make? I know we all want to hope that U2's deep desire is to make thought provoking music that doesn't need to be catchy or hip, but is there anything wrong with that being their desire? To strive to be catchy and hip? I wish as much as the next person they'd put out another Passengers or Zooropa, but I think it's always been in U2's DNA to write catchy hooks and pop tunes. They were just always able to make the mainstream follow them before, rather than follow it themselves. If anything, THAT's what they should be not worrying about. The Little Things doesn't seem to be striving to be a pop hit, and that's a good sign.

The absolute LAST thing I want is for U2 to write their own "hymn to the weekend". Barf.

I really do think that The Best Thing could be big, and the version we've heard doesn't really compromise on anything the way that Coldplay have totally done.
    You're right, but they are just so overthinking and probably overproducing the album, or at least that's the idea I'm getting.

The Best Thing, or at least the version we've heard so far wasn't something I like and for me it sounds like they are compromising to the fact that they want to be hip or relevant. But maybe they are doubting if that's the way to go, since it's already been like 6 months ago or something that that DJ played the song. Looked like it was finished then.
  8. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    You're right, but they are just so overthinking and probably overproducing the album, or at least that's the idea I'm getting.

The Best Thing, or at least the version we've heard so far wasn't something I like and for me it sounds like they are compromising to the fact that they want to be hip or relevant. But maybe they are doubting if that's the way to go, since it's already been like 6 months ago or something that that DJ played the song. Looked like it was finished then.
    Because it had a dance beat? When's the last time they did that? On a little album that everyone now treasures called Pop
  9. For me, I just dont see The Best Thing a) fitting "Songs of Experience" or b) being the hit single (if that's what they are seeking) It's a good song, no doubt. But does it have staying power? Mind you, none of us heard a proper version of it yet, but I just don't see it. A stand alone track or bonus track, maybe...

But hey... I'm glad my ass isnt as large as my opinion...
  10. but there is dance and dance... Pop had progressive electronic dance (similar to Cemical Brothers, Prodigy, etc... of those times) in it, not shitty radio poppy dance (called eurodance those days).
    I never complain about genre, just quality... But all is matter of opinion and personal preferences
  11. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    but there is dance and dance... Pop had progressive electronic dance (similar to Cemical Brothers, Prodigy, etc... of those times) in it, not shitty radio poppy dance (called eurodance those days).
    I never complain about genre, just quality... But all is matter of opinion and personal preferences
    It all started in Berlin.