1. I also don't know if this was said before, but it looks like the "mysterious" track in the twitter video is nothing but an early Sleep Like A Baby Tonight.
  2. After listening to this album pretty much exclusively since its release, I have to say that it's definitely got some staying power
  3. anyone heard any news of pre ordering the physical release??
  4. One thing must be said that music is heard after 3 always better yet! (As always with U2 albums). You have to hear more than once! Song for someone is such a beautiful song or sleep like a baby. I think the album strong!
  5. It´s Amazing... Like something never hearing
  6. So close to being something absolutely fantastic. Frustrating. I genuinely think a full Danger Mouse album could have rivaled Zooropa. That is a huge near miss for me. I'm still hapoy to call this my favourite since Pop though which isn't half bad.
  7. Originally posted by germcevoy:So close to being something absolutely fantastic. Frustrating. I genuinely think a full Danger Mouse album could have rivaled Zooropa. That is a huge near miss for me. I'm still hapoy to call this my favourite since Pop though which isn't half bad.

Yes, if the whole album had been like the last 3 songs it would have been another Zooropa - and possibly a better one too. This said: it is a great album; indeed, the most cohesive since AB, and - for me - probably the best since then.

On the other hand: more is in the pipeline, I'm sure we'll see more U2 + DM = YES in the near enough future...
  8. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

Yes, if the whole album had been like the last 3 songs it would have been another Zooropa - and possibly a better one too. This said: it is a great album; indeed, the most cohesive since AB, and - for me - probably the best since then.

On the other hand: more is in the pipeline, I'm sure we'll see more U2 + DM = YES in the near enough future...

I actually wonder if DM is still willing to do so. I remember that one interview with him about Broken Bells where he said he didn't know what was happening with the U2-songs he produced with them. As if U2 had set DM aside. Not long afterwards, they started production with Tedder etc.

I must say the album sounds very cohesive despite the 5 producers that worked on it. And despite that every song can be linked to an album and sound of U2's past.

The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) > HTDAAB
    Every Breaking Wave > Joshua Tree
    California (There is no End to Love) > War
    Song for Someone > ATYCLB
    Iris (Hold Me Close) > TUF
    Volcano > Boy
    Raised by Wolves > War
    Cedarwood Road > Boy
    Sleep Like a Baby Tonight > Zooropa/AB/Pop
    This is Where You Can Reach Me Now > October
    The Troubles > Pop
  9. I've listened to it several times now, and I think overall I'd have to agree with those who are calling a qualified success. It has good moments, even some great moments, but it's a long way from their best work. Certainly there's better writing on it than NLOTH.

The more I listen to it, the more I like it, but it just doesn't commit itself strongly enough to tip me over into loving it. There's a tentativeness to the lyrics that's at odds with the intent of the songs. I get that Bono wants to tell a story, but a song needs to be more than that. At least he's quit that awful AA-BB rhyming schtick; that shit had to go. Unsurprisingly (seeing as I almost never agree with the choice of single releases, for the last few albums anyway) I don't think The Miracle is a very good choice, I don't think it's got the legs or relatability to do well,

But there are stand-outs on the album for me. I actually really like Volcano with its funky groove (I even like the na-na-naaas - shut up). This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, I love almost because of the second verse, (We come from an ancient place/ Beyond what we can see/ We've come to colonise your night/ And steal your poetry) so great. And The Troubles, which I've seen a fair bit of dislike for around the traps, is actually a cool little song. I adore Lykke Li, which helps, and uilleann pipes!

Overall score: 7/10

(PS. Hi! It's been a while.)
  10. Originally posted by MWSAH:[..]

I actually wonder if DM is still willing to do so. I remember that one interview with him about Broken Bells where he said he didn't know what was happening with the U2-songs he produced with them. As if U2 had set DM aside. Not long afterwards, they started production with Tedder etc.

I must say the album sounds very cohesive despite the 5 producers that worked on it. And despite that every song can be linked to an album and sound of U2's past.

The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) > HTDAAB
    Every Breaking Wave > Joshua Tree
    California (There is no End to Love) > War
    Song for Someone > ATYCLB
    Iris (Hold Me Close) > TUF
    Volcano > Boy
    Raised by Wolves > War
    Cedarwood Road > Boy
    Sleep Like a Baby Tonight > Zooropa/AB/Pop
    This is Where You Can Reach Me Now > October
    The Troubles > Pop

Nice genealogy!

Indeed, you're right. He did sound a little pissed off when he was asked. Well, I hope they keep collaborating with him, and that he keeps collaborating with them: the DM songs are in my view the best, in an already pretty good album.
  11. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

Nice genealogy!

Indeed, you're right. He did sound a little pissed off when he was asked. Well, I hope they keep collaborating with him, and that he keeps collaborating with them: the DM songs are in my view the best, in an already pretty good album.

Hope the same. And perhaps DM was brought in at the end to finish things off. He is the overall producer afterall, as said in the booklet.
  12. There are actually very few songs on the album that Danger Mouse didn't touch, Song for Someone being one of them. That song almost brings me to tears and I'm glad it's on there, so a full album of songs like Sleep like a Baby would be good, but not as great as what we got.

Don't forget Zooropa was AFTER Achtung Baby, being the weird sister album that was just a bit more experimental. Perhaps the next album will be the Zooropa to Songs of Innocence, or perhaps not. Either way, I'm just super happy with what we have and not really needing to wish it was anything more than it is at the moment.