1. Brazil might be another third world country (not as small or poor as Costa Rica though) but they're the home team, they were bound to get the biggest referee help (it always happen - remember 2002). Howard Webb is one of the best referees around though, I wouldn't expect any foul play by him...
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:I included them there because of their great play, not because of their name, they were the exception of that group. Sorry for the misunderstanding Tim!

Chris, how do you think the FIFA can do something like that? You mean with referee help and stuff?

Yup, mostly referee stuff
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:Brazil might be another third world country (not as small or poor as Costa Rica though) but they're the home team, they were bound to get the biggest referee help (it always happen - remember 2002). Howard Webb is one of the best referees around though, I wouldn't expect any foul play by him...

It's just that I don't believe the FIFA will send a ref the instructions to let team win. Maybe the pressure will be on the ref to let the home team win, because of the fans etc.
    But because a country is smaller and a third world country doesn't make any sense to me.

And I don't believe the FIFA will give an unknown reff a quarter final of the WC.
  4. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

It's just that I don't believe the FIFA will send a ref the instructions to let team win. Maybe the pressure will be on the ref to let the home team win, because of the fans etc.
    But because a country is smaller and a third world country doesn't make any sense to me.

And I don't believe the FIFA will give an unknown reff a quarter final of the WC.

I think DerBFreund's reasoning makes some monetary sense. A small, unknown team is probably less profitable for the FIFA and for Brazilian economy than a bigger one. I don't think they can give precise, strict instructions, but maybe some slight suggestions to benefit one time over another...
  5. Funny these diving discussions. Who talks about the Brazilians of who some really fly as canaries.

6. Yeah, of course Nobody says otherwise. All teams, both clubs and national, have their diving share.

7. and Italian and German and Spanish and Portugal and Argentinian and Uruguayan and Greeks and... everyone does that. It's what I don't like on football... that tons of diving and simulating in every match... One of the reasons why I prefer Ice Hockey...
  8. Ok so France has beat Nigeria... but they haven't had the easiest match Nigeria has played well and any of them could have won. That's always nice.

But not as nice as:

9. Oh my my my my!!! Who would have said that Argelia would be scaring Germany so much!! Go الجزائر
  10. Seems like African teams have gotten the hang out of how to handle Germany!
    Algeria doing a great job right now.
  11. The poor guys can't even run right now, but they've done a fucking awesome work. I wish they had scored one of the great chances they've had
  12. It was a great game, but yeah, sadly they were exhausted by the end. Really great game by Algeria