1. I've stated this before, but it always amazes me (in a bad way) that Rolling Stone magazine doesn't rank "Streets" in its Top 500 Songs of All-Time list. What a joke,
  2. The lists are just poorly constructed ploys to sell magazines. As a huge Prince fan, I was shocked to see that he wasn't among their top 100 guitarists. Then they made another list a few years later, and he was like #23. Prince didn't do anything between those years to dramatically change his perception as a guitarist. It was just another dumb list, from a good magazine that isn't always good.

3. If it is heavily edited, I honestly couldn't tell. In fact, for a while I didn't know that it was taken over the course of two nights (according to Wikipedia). When you compare it to Slane, it's really easy to see that Slane was edited. I think Boston is a better DVD than Slane for a couple reasons.

1) Boston has The Fly
    2) Bad --> Streets is better than AIWIY --> Streets
    3) Boston video recording of Streets is far superior compared to Slane's video recording. The fact that they used video footage from multiple nights in the same song and that it's so easy to tell is actually pretty shocking.
  4. The fact that the Boston version doesn't show the venue lit up during Streets' flash light automatically leaves it out of the game.
  5. Originally posted by RUMMY:I've stated this before, but it always amazes me (in a bad way) that Rolling Stone magazine doesn't rank "Streets" in its Top 500 Songs of All-Time list. What a joke,

Yeah they're all Beatles songs
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:The fact that the Boston version doesn't show the venue lit up during Streets' flash light automatically leaves it out of the game.

Wait. By "doesn't show the venue lit up" do you mean that it doesn't show the crowd from Bono's perspective or it doesn't show the stage from the crowd's perspective. I know for a fact that the Boston version has very, very good shots of the stage all lit up from the crowd's perspective.

The reason I feel that the Boston version is by far the best video recording thus far is because it has many shots from the crowd's perspective, as in you see hands and the tops of people's heads as they jump about. That makes it real. It makes the viewer a part of the GA crowd. I personally like it better this way. Shots of the crowd are nice, but it makes the viewer feel detached from the performance.

But it's all a matter of personal preference.
  7. Boston was a great looking DVD. The audio was excellent to. I'm just not a fan of the era or the fairly lifeless crowd. Slane was more of a spectacle and for that reason I'd rate it higher. I listen to the Bad/Streets medley from Boston a lot though.
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy:Boston was a great looking DVD. The audio was excellent to. I'm just not a fan of the era or the fairly lifeless crowd. Slane was more of a spectacle and for that reason I'd rate it higher. I listen to the Bad/Streets medley from Boston a lot though.

That medley from Boston is the best I've ever heard. One of the single most enjoyable musical moments EVER for me. From that Psalm116 building up to the stage light up and Bono's roar is just sheer joy for me.

Getting back to the specific topic, for me, this is when Streets reached its peak. Vertigo and to a certain extent 360 fucked it.

The best thing about the Vertigo versions was the elongated "It's all I wanna do" right at the end. I love that. Everything else. Shit. I used to not mind African intro but now that's shit too. I should add, to be consistent with my earlier post, that it's predominantly Bono's deterioration over the years when performing this song that has contributed to the decline in appreciation.
  9. If the Boston medley was that good on the night I'd go along with that. It's edited to sound like it does on the DVD though. Takes away from it a bit but still sounds great. Just me being picky.

10. True - and the fact that the first-place song is "Like a Rolling Stone" and the second-place song is by the Rolling Stones takes a bit of credibility away from the list.

There are, however, a bunch of U2 songs scattered throughout the list - just not Streets.
  11. That 'Top 500 songs of All Time' list by Rolling Stone is a joke. I much prefer the album list, but they are always so biased towards The Rolling Stones (funny that, eh?) and The Beatles.
  12. The Beatles and Stones are indeed two of the great bands of all-time (I have lots of music from both bands) but it almost seems wrong that no other band is allowed to be ranked along side them.