1. Back on topic (sort of):

Since U2 (not The Beatles or Stones) peaked during my formative years, I will always (subjectively) rank U2 ahead of the big bands of the 60's and 70's. No song by any of the esteemed pre-1980's bands had as much as an influence on me like Streets (and Pride...and SBS...and One....etc...etc...etc...)
  2. To bring us right back on topic

I think Zoo TV turned Streets into the staple live U2 song. Before this it was just a track from The Joshua Tree, I dare say that With Or Without You held more power over the crowd during the 1987-1989 period than Streets did.

Zoo TV elevated it to a whole new level, Running was a perfect segue into Streets. The Zoo TV stage also helped with the magnificent lighting that accompanied the song. That said, I think Elevation turned it from the crowd favourite of Zoo TV/Popmart into the emotional U2 anthem we now regard it as.

Today it is a little "Oh, Streets again?" but for someone experiencing it in a live environment, it has very little competition.

There has been some discussion here regarding the Boston/Slane performances. If I may, I vote for Slane. I listened to them on my iPod recently while out and about and I had completely forgot about the All I Want Is You/Streets partnership. Bono's vocals at the end of AIWIY are in a similar mould to the way Please segued into Streets during Popmart. The vocal cry in Slane is what tips it over Boston for me.
  3. Let's be honest. For any of us that has been to a U2 show, no matter how many times we've seen U2, we ALWAYS get shivers down our spines when we hear those opening chords.

I don't think I can find a single person at a U2 concert who would choose Streets as a "beverage break" song.
  4. A certain band climbed up a certain roof to record a certain videoclip. 30 years ago today.

5. What a song. THIS is when Streets became Srreets,
  6. I hope they rediscover it this year. It's been pretty dead since 2001.
  7. It's not their song anymore, it's up to the X thousands around the stage really.
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy:Streets is less today than it has ever been I think. Now or Vertigo. Its just another SBS or Pride. I do like the odd segue from 360 but the song itself is tired. It peaked during 87 but ZooTV are my favourite performances.

It's funny that this is 5 years old, but I actually think this applies to the I&E tour as well. Pride definitely took that "huge anthem that gets everyone really into it" spot from Streets on the recent tour.
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

It's funny that this is 5 years old, but I actually think this applies to the I&E tour as well. Pride definitely took that "huge anthem that gets everyone really into it" spot from Streets on the recent tour.
    It sure does. Even little things like Larry not doing the sticks and cymbals during the intro or Adam not adding any bass funks. And all this before Bono tries to sing it.

Pride has definitely stepped up. Bad outshines it as well. I no longer consider Streets the hilight of any show when it used to be the first song I went to when I downloaded a new recording.
  10. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    It sure does. Even little things like Larry not doing the sticks and cymbals during the intro or Adam not adding any bass funks. And all this before Bono tries to sing it.

Pride has definitely stepped up. Bad outshines it as well. I no longer consider Streets the hilight of any show when it used to be the first song I went to when I downloaded a new recording.
    The segue and long build up are everything. These two factors make a great song the BEST song.

Never underestimate the importance of anticipation.
  11. For me Streets regained some of its greatness on the I&E tour when it was played after zooropa. The style it was performed in and the intensity still made it one of the highlights and I think to most casual fans it's still the highlight anyway, but I'd say on both the vertigo tour and the 360 tour it wasn't given the same effective build up. I really enjoy the elevation tour versions also both bad and all I want is you leading into it were excellent. The JT tour coming up is the one though to really let it stand out.