1. If you want to step up from taking "decent" or even "good" pictures, and start taking "great" or "awesome" ones, DSLRs are the way to go.
    Then, it's up to each person to see if it's worth the hassle and the effort. For me, it isn't. I pay 50+ bucks for a ticket to enjoy the show, not to spend most of it taking pics or adjusting my camera settings (that applies as well to the people who spend the whole show texting or tweeting)... But on the other hand I thank the people who spend that time taking excellent pics, so that I can have great photograpic mementos of my shows
  2. I only take pictures during songs I don't know or really don't care about (there's always one or two at just about every show, though not ALWAYS, I admit), and I really believe that using the right settings on a point and shoot (high ISO and low shutter speed without the flash) will get you great results.

Sometimes the blacks in the background don't turn out well with high ISOs, but if you get a good quality foreground image, photoshop or GIMP will easily solve the problem- go through the pics, adjust the "curves" or "levels" function, and adjust the saturation and contrast. Beautiful blacks with an awesome little pop in color if you fine tune your adjustments and really know what you're doing.
  3. I prefer not having to do major edits, only a bit of contrast tweaking and that's all. If you have to modifiy more things with photoshop, you're doing something wrong.
  4. On the other hand there is a reason why people shoot in RAW. Then you can do the post processing of the raw sensor data on the pc, instead that the camera does it for you.

In the end its about what the photo looks like.I guess 90 % of all photos are heavily editted using photoshop. White balance, extra bg blur. Bringing up shadow's etc.

Especially when you have a less than ideal camera you can win a lot.
  5. Yes, yes, I know. Virtually ALL the photos I upload to my social networks are edited/very edited/heavily edited, but that's because I shoot in less than ideal situations (usually at night or with very low light) and with a Nokia N8. But my ideal photo is the one you just have to resize and upload, without any post-processing. It's the target I aim at everytime I shoot a pic.
  6. Of course, its a lot easier when the photos are directly awesome from your SD card
  7. All my photographs tend to be edited. From a simple boost in contrast to a readjustment of the highlights and shadows. Sometimes I adjust the saturation of colours to make them stand out a little more. Apply a colour filter to change the feel of a photo. Use of the healing brush to remove artifacts that I don't want.
  8. Yeah sounds familiar.

The new delete tool in CS5 is scary though. You can remove complete objects from your photo with a few clicks. And the result is pretty scary (obviously it doesnt always work)
  9. I pretty much never edit my photos.
  10. Originally posted by Risto:Yeah sounds familiar.

The new delete tool in CS5 is scary though. You can remove complete objects from your photo with a few clicks. And the result is pretty scary (obviously it doesnt always work)

Well, Lenin's and Stalin's (and I believe Hitler's and Mussolini's as well) regimes did it flawlessly almost a century ago:

11. Lots easier on crappy photos though Have you tried the Content-Aware delete on CS5?