2011-06-24 - Glastonbury
Tour: Various Dates
Songs played: 20
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 1
  1. Of the recent openers EBTTRT seems most likely to open.
  2. Considering the way the Glastonbury crowd LOVED and FREAKED OUT when Edge played with MUSE.... I don't think that U2 have that much to worry about.

Originally posted by popmarter:If as widely predicted U2 play the friday ,does their musical career as a commercial force depend on it,as its the most popular and watched festival in the world ,and in the UK a lot of begrudgers want to see U2 fall flat on their face,just check the Nme to see the hate against them.Can they rise to the occasion and what sort of setlist will they play?

[image]

3. u2 will do us proud and kill it
    we have nothing to worry about

they have been doing this shit for 30+ years, bono and the boys know how to get a crowd going and it's exactly what they'll do

they are about the most intelligent band in the world, they are switched on and will know what songs to play and what songs to not play - heck, they know what songs get a reaction from the crowd more than we do, they're the ones who get to see it when they perform them every night

have faith guys, they're gonna destroy it
  4. Originally posted by dylbagz:u2 will do us proud and kill it

they have been doing this shit for 30+ years, bono and the boys know how to get a crowd going and it's exactly what they'll do

they are about the most intelligent band in the world, they are switched on and will know what songs to play and what songs to not play - heck, they know what songs get a reaction from the crowd more than we do, they're the ones who get to see it when they perform them every night

I'm totally with you. In my opinion we're about to see one of the greatest things they will ever do, no matter the setlist.

5. Originally posted by dylbagz:u2 will do us proud and kill it

I hope so, or they could get destroyed by plastic bottles of piss when Bono starts talking about saving the world.
    Will the band remember that people go to festivals to forget about the world for a few days?.

6. Nah, I'd say they do know what songs get the right reaction, they just ignore such knowledge at times

7. that is a very real fear.

8. Originally posted by Zooropean:[..]

I hope so, or they could get destroyed by plastic bottles of piss when Bono starts talking about saving the world.
    Will the band remember that people go to festivals to forget about the world for a few days?.

ha that was one of my first worries when it was first announced! i doubt it will be that bad though - that would only happen if they played reading festival! i wouldn't totally rule out militant groups in the crowd armed with piss weapons though - there was a load of people on NME.com last year talking about getting together and doing just that before bonos back went... but i'm quite sure most sane U2 haters would much rather go and watch primal scream on the other stage than try and hit bono with something warm and wet...

in all seriousness though i have faith that bono knows that it would be the worst move ever to do any preaching for this gig. in fact didn't he say at one point that glastonbury will have to be just about the music? i just don't have much faith that they realise playing a song they wrote for the festival, named after the festival could potentially kill the setlist and their credibilty in an instant....

also they haven't played anything like this since 1985 so i believe that in one way or another it will have a profound effect on them playing a full set in this environment. it will either make them realise they never want to do it again or will make them remember the challenge and adrenalin rush of playing in front of a non-U2 crowd on a non U2 stage and having something to prove which might affect the way they work in the future in some way?

and they do have a lot to prove - don't know what its like elsewhere in the world but sometimes it seems to me that they are the most hated band in the country these days but when i read these statements of hatred on other sites/forums etc it's hardly ever aimed at the music, just at bono and his 'ego' and 'hypocrisy'. so if he can prove that he is actually also the singer in a great band with great songs and not just someone with stupid sunglasses and more money than we could ever imagine appearing every 2 seconds to preach about poverty and africa then maybe at least some of those people would re-consider their opinions of U2...

i am SO SO SO SO excited about this! more excited than i've been about anything U2 related for years. it will be beyond interesting and nerve wracking to watch and like many have said could be their greatest moment ever!

9. Please DO NOT play the Crazy Tonight remix.

10. or anything from the new album, considering it was a flop

just stick with war>ab, two from pop and then the well known, commerical/mainstream hits from atyclb and htdaab

1/2 from boy
    2 from war,
    2 from unforgettable fire,
    3 from the joshua tree,
    4/5 from achtung baby,
    1/2 from pop,
    3 from all that you can't leave behind; and
    2 from how to dismantle an atomic bomb

there you have your 20 songs and a setlist that the crowd will know/go nuts to

11. Again, it is easier to jump and scream to Elevation and Vertigo than it is to Stay or Bad. And consequently it is easy for the band to get a totally wrong impression that the former two are better received by the crowd than the latter two. But it is amazing how a band with such mileage could think this way. I think Sergio is right here.