1. It just doesn't click with me. Tracks like All Because Of You and Vertigo are foot tappers, but don't resonate with me at all after I'm done listening to them. Some real duds on here, too (A Man And A Woman, Crumbs From Your Table). Yahweh and One Step Closer are the only songs that really stuck with me.
  2. Originally posted by paulc:No 1 in 33 countries across the world, 3 big hit singles (Vertigo, SYCMIOY, COBL) plus others that charted (ABOY, OOTS). 8 Grammies (I think, at last count anyway!). A track like Miracle Drug is meaningful and touching. Love and Piece (or Else) is amazingly sonic and powerful. One Step Closer is beautiful. Why does this album get a raw deal by alot of fans in this forum? If NLOTH was half as succesful as this album, then I for one think U2's future would be very rosey. As it is, lack of hit singles and subsequent airplay of NLOTH has meant that HTDAAB may have been U2's last mega selling album.

I don't underrate it, personally this was my first U2-album i actually bought and it's still in my top-5 maybe even top-3...

I think you said it perfectly there...

I really believe most fans underrate it, it's better than "ok", but winning 8 grammy's is a bit too much of course... Certainly if you see Actung Baby only had 1, Grammy's have to be taken with a pinch of salt (just to avoid saying they're bullshit )
  3. Overrated is the word to be used. I love City of Blinding Lights but that is just as far as my love for this record goes.

Lyrically it is weak as piss.
  4. I remember Vertigo being played on the UK music show called Top of the pops for an exclusive performance of the song. When they played it, I must admit, like the radio airing of the song, I didn't fully 'get' it at all. Lyrically I was so confused why Bono chose to write something like that, because it seemed more 'dumbed down' than some of the singles from ATYCLB.

However, when I got the album at christmas that year, after refusing to listen to anymore songs to make it more of a surprise, I remember playing it though my headphones on christmas day and thinking the first few songs: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, Love and peace, and COBL all flowed together really well and were pretty impressive despite the simple lyrics. But after COBL for me, the album went down hill from there. Too many of them were just too cheesy, the only one that gave a slight break from the cheese was the atmospheric One Step Closer.

The other thing that annoyed me about HDTAAB, was the loudness of the album. It has been mixed rather poor, the whole album. The sound is so loud it distorts and causes clipping. Bono's vocals were also too high in the mix at times, and his 'S' sounds were a little too sharp.

Overall I was disappointed with it. The first half of the album is very nice but the other half is really bad in my opinion and this is from someone who actually like ATYCLB.

The tour and live performances were much better though, thank god.
  5. Miracle Drug is the only song on that album that can stir any emotion for me.
  6. I always liked Vertigo, and still do, it's great live. Never liked HTDAAB. Some good songs like said before, SYCMIOYO, Miracle Drug, COBL and Yahweh. That's it for me.

Kind of fond of Crumbs though too.

Hate All Because of You, LAP, AMAAW, and sometimes One Step Closer is nice to listen to, but not more than that.
  7. So you like 6 songs but you dont like the album? Dont know if there is any u2 album I like 6 songs of.
  8. 'All Because of You' has been so bashed on this site that Ive convinced myself I shouldnt like it anymore, so I dont really Im way too easily influenced
  9. It's a good album. Although I do absoutely hate One Step Closer. Crumbs On Your Table is also awful as well. I never really used to like it that much until I started listening to it more.

Lol, well said.

10. I think this is one of those albums where you look at th list of songs and think ''ah they're not that good' but when yuo actaully listen to them song by song youre are like 'ohhh this is why i really liked these before, they are great'

Id give all the songs a 5/5 rating except : ABOY - 4
    Crumbs - 4
    Man and Woman - 4
    One Step Closer - 3

I made my own version and track-listing:
    Love And Peace Or Else
    City Of Blinding Lights
    Vertigo
    Mercy
    Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
    Smile
    Miracle Drug
    Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    Original Of The Species
    A Man And A Woman
    All Because Of You
    Crumbs From Your Table
    Fast Cars
    Yahweh

11. there is no song on it that I would rate a classic. Vertigo comes most close. 4/5 songs I like but I don't listen much to them.

A song like All Because of You is just so, so cringeworthy. It really pisses me off everytime I hear it.

The earlier versions of some songs are way better (still not very good).
  12. heck yea its under-rated! I remeber getting the album for Christmas and then listening to it over and over again. Sure its poppy but the melodies are strong and I believe SYCMOYO is their most emotional song ever. Songs like Vertigo and City Of Blinding Lights ARE classics. And I do not get the bashing on ABOY, its great rock tune and they clearly dont make many of these.