1. Originally posted by patssox95:it has the 3rd best collection of songs of any u2 album, IMO, but it does not deliver an ALBUM EXPERIENCE like Joshua or Achtung. And i play ATYCLB over Bomb because there is a feel created on that album as well.

Correct. It is a collection of songs, not an album.
  2. ^ shit, that remix is baller.
  3. Macphistly: Totally agree. There is a distinct, cohesive quality to War, JT, AB, and ATYCLB that sets them apart from the rest. Maybe Unforgettable Fire too.
  4. Originally posted by Macphistfly:In a perfect world

Are you Gonna Wait Forever, Mercy, Levitate and Smile would have been on it.

Produced by Flood, that would have been a force in musical history.

Yep. They should add those add those and rerelease it in 2014.
  5. I will admit, I did like it on my first two/three listens, its a very accessible album for the casual U2 fan in my opinion. The songs just get really boring fast after the first few listens of the CD. I would never choose to listen to HTDAAB front to back on a road trip for example.
  6. I'm surprised nobody likes the album
    I still listen to it every now and then.
    And yes i dare to say that out loud
  7. I don't really mind it, I'd listen through most of it, except for AMAAW, that is pure shit I could listen to it more than War probably, but I just wouldn't haven't listened to studio stuff lately actually
  8. I disagree with everyone who thinks HTDAAB is not coherent and doesn't have a unified theme.

It definitely is coherent, it very much is U2's music stripped to their rock basics. Bono's songwriting is direct and straightforward like his lyrics on the first 3 albums and without the sophistication of his later work.

Bono also sings in the first person for the entire album and sings from his own point of view rather than adopting a persona and singing from their point of view like he does on most of their albums (he went back to doing this on NLOTH).

Bono also describes the album as:

A lot of the songs are paeans to naiveté, a rejection of knowingness

Which is a very accurate description, songs like City of Blinding Lights, Original of the Species, Yahweh etc have a sense of wide eyed wonder, optimism and hope - very different from the more cynical, knowing tone Bono adops on Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop etc.

Then there is the album's instrumentation, which is basically that of a traditional four piece rock band - guitar, bass, drums, vocals with occasional keyboards and strings. Basically none of the electronic sounds (or more outlandish guitar effects) that characterised their 90's work and NLOTH.

So HTDAAB definitely has a unified theme and the songs do work towards that theme.

If anything NLOTH is a less cohesive album due to the mismatch of styles and genres on it.
  9. I would agree that bomb is more cohesive then no line is. No line is a much better collection of songs in my opinion even if it does sound like three albums wrapped into one
  10. NLOTH has a bizarre, almost lo fi experimental feel to it, I think. NLOTH, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Boots, Fez, White as Snow and Cedars all have a similar type of sound to me. Breathe, Crazy Tonight, and Stand Up Comedy are the only ones that sound out of place on the album to me.
  11. htdaab is really good and enjoyable. listenin to it now
  12. Best album 2000-2010 in my opinion. Still think that if they were to retire, HTDAAB would've been a good album to go out on. But I hope I can say sometime in the future that a better album for that purpose, that's USED for that purpose will come along