1. Originally posted by Flyguy69:Howdy, fellow U2 fans ...

I have a question about this release (rhetorical though it might come across) ...

Am I the only one who's kinda ... I dunno, PERPLEXED at the lack of anything truly substantive attached to this release?

Don't get me wrong: yellow-colored vinyl is lemon-squeezy good fun for some fans, no doubt ... as is the prospect of a T-shirt or hoodie featuring the Space Baby in his helmet, etc, I'm sure...

But c'mon ... no extra tracks AT ALL?

No unreleased remixes or bonus material of ANY kind? SERIOUSLY?

I say all of this knowing I'm old enough to remember - way way back when this release was first touted in the press - that the band mentioned other tunes they'd recorded/titled that never made the final cut ("Nosejob", "Untidy Life", "Sparky's Left the Planet" - the latter reportedly about Adam - being among them) ...

What happened to all that stuff?

And I am not suggesting these songs were "complete" by any means, but still ... there's GOTTA be a trove of stuff leftover from this album's recording sessions, especially when members of the band (at the time of its release) claimed they had 30 some-odd tracks to choose from before they even settled on the final 10 tunes.

Now, if ANY and/or ALL of that material went on to become OTHER songs on other albums ("Passengers", "Pop", etc) that's fine ... but I feel like after 30 years, we would've hear about it. Plus, there HAD to be a least one aural bone or two to pick amongst the leftovers after all this time, no? Something worthy of reconsideration, at the minimum ...

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong to raise this point ... but again, I am by no means disgruntled; just flummoxed. I feel like given this was an immense opportunity to share some cool bonus material with the fans, which would not only capitalize on the popularity of the original release but get even MORE folks excited about buying something other than just a T-shirt or, ya know, a pricier vinyl version. Lord knows plenty of us already have the LP in multiple formats, because there's such huge appreciation for its truly "out there" content ...

Bottom line: I think it's strange that ZOOROPA - one of U2's most lauded and experimental records - is getting little more than the bare minimum in terms of ... well, EXTRAS or special treatment after 30 years.

After all, UNFORGETTABLE FIRE, THE JOSHUA TREE and ACHTUNG BABY got that treatment, didn't they?

So ... why didn't ZOOROPA? Doesn't it deserve the same?

Anyway ... just my .02 cents. Thoughts, folks?
    Originally they had a team hired to work on all of U2’s catalog. That was the material that came out between 2008 and 2011. They were working in roughly chronological order but had to skip Rattle and Hum due to issues with licences. And Achtung Baby finished off the project. The team working on those releases were let go, and that project ground to a halt and there seems to be far less interest in putting out boxed sets since, and those that have come out have had far less Rarities and are usually filled out with remixes and live material instead.
  2. surely they could have included the zooropa radio edit and the studio version of bono singing the wanderer?
  3. And they still may include those on the digital release…the AB 30th which just passed had a pretty basic version of the album (black vinyl, or the coloured vinyl with one of four covers) and then the digital release contained all kinds of bonus tracks (although nothing new or previously unreleased)

They could easily do the same with Zooropa with a collection of remixes, live tracks and b-sides from the singles.
  4. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    And they still may include those on the digital release…the AB 30th which just passed had a pretty basic version of the album (black vinyl, or the coloured vinyl with one of four covers) and then the digital release contained all kinds of bonus tracks (although nothing new or previously unreleased)

They could easily do the same with Zooropa with a collection of remixes, live tracks and b-sides from the singles.

the bolded quotes makes me think they won't sadly - as the 2 i mentioned are ultra-rare and haven't been released before

sometimes i wonder whether they're protecting their legacy - even the AB babies version was cleaned up with new production and new Bono vocals - scared to release rough out-takes with bono scatting out of tune as it might affect their artistic standing in rock n roll history
  5. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    sometimes i wonder whether they're protecting their legacy - even the AB babies version was cleaned up with new production and new Bono vocals - scared to release rough out-takes with bono scatting out of tune as it might affect their artistic standing in rock n roll history

It's already damaged with various horrible managerial choices ( Apple ) some band decisions ( god awful songs for animated movies / looking back rather than looking forward / playing live without a foundation member ) and some personal ones ( tax evasion ) the past 15 years. It's all very sad!

Talking of issues with licensing there was a lot of sampling on Zooropa , I bet that had a bit to do with it.

It's mainly that The Edge is a perfectionist when it comes to out takes and unreleased stuff, he just has to take to the mixing board and clean it all up ( which defeats the purpose ) so don't hold your breath for a Prince style 'vault' opening of demos and unreleased gems when they band decide to call it quits.
  6. Originally posted by weiran:Haha...... I remember buying this on cd at the time I put in into my player and with the long intro on zooropa i thought I had a faulty disc
    The Good old days

Hahaha , I remember it being the last time HMV had a midnight opening for any artist. A mate and I lined up on Pitt Street - along with about 100 others - to grab a copy.

Caught the bus home popped it in the CD player and we both looked at each other and thought somehow we got an operatic album instead of a U2 album. Lol took a few listens to get it , but it's a masterpiece in my eyes/ears and doesn't seem to date , it still sounds relevant and fresh! Ohh for the band to take a risk or two like that these days !!
  7. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:What was it that clip said in the Zoo-Tv intro, something about "you can't sell the same stuff to the same people all of the time" or words to that effect. U2 seem to have forgotten that and believe they actually can.

Lmao!
  8. It was in part of the intro to "NUMB".
    "You can't sell the same old stuff to the same old crowd forvever. People (or they?) want new material!"
  9. “Our stuff’s been repeated, too many times”
  10. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    Originally they had a team hired to work on all of U2’s catalog. That was the material that came out between 2008 and 2011. They were working in roughly chronological order but had to skip Rattle and Hum due to issues with licences. And Achtung Baby finished off the project. The team working on those releases were let go, and that project ground to a halt and there seems to be far less interest in putting out boxed sets since, and those that have come out have had far less Rarities and are usually filled out with remixes and live material instead.
    Surely they could hire another "Team" to work on their back catalogue and don't the record company mostly look after all of that just a matter of a few phone calls and emails to get it together, they've a lot of material from that era that they could release and a huge amount of live audio and video from the ZooTV/Zooropa tour that could be included in a boxset even the Dublin RDS gig would be cool to have as an official release.
  11. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Surely they could hire another "Team" to work on their back catalogue and don't the record company mostly look after all of that just a matter of a few phone calls and emails to get it together, they've a lot of material from that era that they could release and a huge amount of live audio and video from the ZooTV/Zooropa tour that could be included in a boxset even the Dublin RDS gig would be cool to have as an official release.
    Their management is a circus
  12. Originally posted by weiran:Haha...... I remember buying this on cd at the time I put in into my player and with the long intro on zooropa i thought I had a faulty disc
    Yeah, I remember wondering why there was no sound, till I turned the volume right up and could finally hear the weird slow build!

Originally posted by EdgeMedia72:It's mainly that The Edge is a perfectionist when it comes to out takes and unreleased stuff, he just has to take to the mixing board and clean it all up ( which defeats the purpose ) so don't hold your breath for a Prince style 'vault' opening of demos and unreleased gems when they band decide to call it quits.
    Especially after reading Edge's quote in U2 By U2: "By no means everything we do is great. Ever since we were a struggling punk band we have been recording all our jams and rehearsals, our improvisations and ideas, and if people heard all those unreleased tapes, believe me, it would confirm everything we have ever said about U2 being a dysfunctional band. [...] We have in fact promised ourselves that we will rig some highly sophisticated incendiary device to our tape vault, so if we all go down on the big plane it all gets burnt." I *really* hope he was joking about destroying it all so it can never see the light of day, but I fear it's not a million miles from the truth!