1. Originally posted by LikeASong:By the way, Rob, I'm so sorry about your nephew...
    (Even though I'll have to admit that the Highway To Hell moment is ironic)

Yeah, my nephew had been unemployed for months and the friday before he was about to start his new job, he stepped out the door to go for a walk and he simply collapsed. He was dead before his body hit the pavement, so to speak. That quick.
    And let me tell you that the vicar (is that good English?) was in horror when they played "Highway to Hell". And he made no attempt to hide his disgust. My nephews coffin was covered with flowers in the colors of his favorite soccer club.
    But my opinion is that it doesn't matter what kind of music is played during your own funeral (within the limits of good taste of course. Some people may think that "Highway to Hell" has crossed the limits of good taste, but I'm inclined to widen those limits. I mean: playing "Im Dreaming Of a White Christmas" at a funeral of a former KKK-member is definitely not within the limits of good taste - just an example here).
    But I think it's cool when a funeral is made personal, after all it's your last goodbye.
    And in our case: what better way than saying goodbye with a decent U2-track?
  2. this is really sad with your newphew's passing away, Rob "just like that", without any warning sign or anything... that must have been a real shock to everyone, especially with him being still so young. I'm deeply sorry

and I agree on what you say about making the last good-bye a personal one. After all, the ceremony is held to say farewell to the person who left, and to remember him the way he was during his lifetime and to keep this memory of him alive. To play his favorite song(s) and, in your nephew's case, cover the coffin with his team's colours, is the best way to celebrate the life he lead and honor him - time for grief will come after that, no matter what, but the memory of his last farewell is personal, it is "him" and not just some cool, unpersonal act to bury the body - if that makes any sense
  3. Originally posted by MacStripey:this is really sad with your newphew's passing away, Rob "just like that", without any warning sign or anything... that must have been a real shock to everyone, especially with him being still so young. I'm deeply sorry

and I agree on what you say about making the last good-bye a personal one. After all, the ceremony is held to say farewell to the person who left, and to remember him the way he was during his lifetime and to keep this memory of him alive. To play his favorite song(s) and, in your nephew's case, cover the coffin with his team's colours, is the best way to celebrate the life he lead and honor him - time for grief will come after that, no matter what, but the memory of his last farewell is personal, it is "him" and not just some cool, unpersonal act to bury the body - if that makes any sense

Well said. Nothing to add here.

4. I've always thought I'd like MLK or One Tree Hill if I were to have a U2 track.

However, I do quite often give this topic some thought. Not sure if that means I'm generally a morbidkind of guy or just want myself to be represented at the celebration of my life.

My current choice is Nessun Dorma by the late great Pavarotti.

If translates as 'Nobody Sleeps'.

My Dad, incidentally, has asked if he can have 'Welcome to the Pleasuredome' by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Good choice Dadio!
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]Now THAT is something really great. The best song ever composed... It will be played on my funeral too, without any doubt. In fact, I've always considered Stairway To Heaven as a metaphor of the life itself, beggining softly and innocently, then going slowly to bigger and bigger emotions, then the mesmerizing solo and then...... that soft voice saying goodbye.

Well said my friend. My dad´s funeral became a big rock´n´roll moment with this song.
  6. I definitely love this topic
  7. Pretty dark topic, but pretty cool at the same time. I have thought about this a few times in the past, theres so many to choose from. But I'll go for:

MLK, Streets, Kite, One, 40 (in that order).
  8. That's one cool selection of songs, Mr. Dermott... Nice
  9. What about Last Night on Earth, Stay (Faraway, So Close), Streets, One Tree Hill, 40, Walk On and Kingdom?

But my choice would be Stand By Me
  10. Cedars of Lebanon as people walk out.

11. Nessun Dorma will definitely bring out tears, that song is epic. That's my father's choice as well, BTW. José Carreras' version (with the choir at the end) is great as well. Here's a link to that particular version. The choir starts at 3:06 in. That's usually where Pavarotti's version ends.

Speaking of epic songs, right?