1. Bono frequently said that they 'had the craft, but not the magic' and that he didnt thought it was one of their best. He also said it was meant to be the big U2 guitar album but didnt quite worked out that way. I also remember Larry disliking the album (can be wrong though) Obviously, when the album was about to released they were all saying it was one of their best bladieblabla....
  2. Originally posted by drewhiggins:Time for a whinge and some ideas.

All I know is, if Vertigo and Sometimes make it on to one more Best Of - two already in four years - I'm definitely not touching it. Although they'll come up with the tried-and-true formula of putting on the big radio hits and shoving on two unreleased or new songs or putting in a DVD with a fancy booklet.

I'd also be disappointed as I was with 1990 - 2000 as putting on remixes and songs released no less than two years ago and charging top-dollar for it or telling us it's the end of something - end of mediocre radio hits and stuff U2 could play in their sleep.

Though I have been impressed there haven't been too many greatest hits albums just yet. When it starts reaching six or seven with one every year with no new songs, that's when it becomes annoying. I see the remasters as being something as to curb the hits albums, which if it's anything like The Joshua Tree remaster, then it's all good.

There's been plenty of greatest hits by other artists with cool ideas - some I remember being like:

Letting the fans choose the songs and then putting on some unreleased or new songs (as an exec decision) and messages inside a little booklet and previously-unseen photos with a poster and keyring or something similar. That's a cool concept, though it can backfire and end up like most compilations with the exact same songs released on other greatest hits in 1995, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. There wasn't one in 2002 if I remember.

Early gems and later treasures where the first disc is great for those who might not know those songs, but the second is akin to a lazy marketing decision, as far as most could tell. Though this band that this idea was ripped from had more than enough hits albums than actual albums.

Re-recorded tracks with other artists plus a new song or two.

Stripped Mixes, with basic track recordings or a capella. That's something I hadn't seen much of before, but would anyone actually even buy it? It'd be a decision made with pre-acceptance of poor sales and reception, but hey, why not.

Live album from one show that wasn't released to the general market with a new song but make the song introduced with a radio announcer, preferrably not having their voice on the new song, but at the end of the previous song.

I don't really see Medium Rare and Remastered as a Greatest Hits, but see, something like that is cool.

All good ideas. To be realistic, I wonder if the band is going to consider any of it for their A-sides/disc 1. If they're going to do a set wtih a disc of B-sides like they have with the other two Best Ofs, it'd be great for them to take some of these ideas - actually, it might be somewhat plausible too, with the lack of new studio B-sides from this decade. If they've got 16 or so tracks to fill, why not split it up: have 4 B-sides/film soundtrack songs, 4 remixes, 4 live tracks, and 4 polished demo tracks (like a Levitate or Disappearing Act). The casual fan might not buy the B-side disc anyway, and if they do, they'd be introduced to more than just remixes of the same songs on disc 1.

We can only dream though, I suppose.
  3. One reason I really do hope they have a best of for this decade is so that it can go with the other two best of's. I like consistency. (Though I think U218 Singles was unnecessary. But wasn't it released to end a contract?). If/when this album is released, what do you think the cover would be?
  4. Originally posted by kris_smith87:One reason I really do hope they have a best of for this decade is so that it can go with the other two best of's. I like consistency. (Though I think U218 Singles was unnecessary. But wasn't it released to end a contract?). If/when this album is released, what do you think the cover would be?

I have wondered about that cover before too. What is an iconic image from this decade? The best I can come up with is the airplane flying over the band in the BD video.
  5. Originally posted by notcomingdown:[..]

I have wondered about that cover before too. What is an iconic image from this decade? The best I can come up with is the airplane flying over the band in the BD video.

Beautiful Day was on the last Best of
  6. Originally posted by notcomingdown:[..]

I'd pick a desert (Vertigo-videoclip) in touch with the sky...but no horizon
  7. With the talk of Mercy potentially/hypothetically appearing on the Best of 2000-2010 in another discussion topic, I decided to toy around with what I would choose to make the tracklist for this album (as well as B-sides). I decided like the best of 90-2000 I would include two unreleased songs from albums in that decade as well as Leave space for a few more tracks from Songs Of Ascent and new songs for the compilation:

Singles:
    1. Vertigo (Single Edit)
    2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
    3. Walk On (Single Edit)
    4. City Of Blinding Lights (Single Edit)
    5. Mercy (New Song)
    6. Magnificent (Radio Edit)
    7. Get On Your Boots
    8. *New Song*
    9. In A Little While
    10. Moment Of Surrender (Hopefully Single Mix more like the live version)
    11. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Single Mix)
    12. *Songs Of Ascent Single 1*
    13. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Live Remix)
    14. Breathe
    15. All Because Of You (Album Version)
    16. *SOA Single 2*
    17. Original Of The Species (Single Mix)

B-Sides:
    1. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
    2. Elevation (Influx Mix)
    3. Big Girls Are Best
    4. All Because Of You (Killahurtz Fly Mix)
    5. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix)
    6. No Line On The Horizon (2)
    7. *Moment Of Surrender B-Side*
    8.Vertigo (Redanka Power Remix)
    9. Ave Maria (Jacknife Lee Mix)
    10. *SOA Single 1 B-Side*
    11. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Fish Out Of Water Mix)
    12.Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix)
    13. *SOA Single 2 B-Side*
    14. The Saints Are Coming (with Green Day) (Live Version)

8. Best of 2000-2010??? NOOOO!!!

Ok this is my list:
    -Beautiful day
    -Walk on
    -Elevation
    -Electrical storm
    -Vertigo
    -City of blinding lights
    -Original of the species
    -Sometimes you can´t make it on your own
    -Mercy
    -Get on your boots
    -Magnificent
    -Crazy tonight
    -Moment of surrender
    -(1 o 2 of SOA)
  9. Are people here still dreaming that we're gonna get "Songs Of Ascent" by the end of next year? Trust me, it won't happen. Three years at best in my opinion.

An iconic image from this decade for the sleeve of the next Best Of...? Damn, that's a tough one. They had imagery oozing from every pore in the 90s, but just look at the mostly terrible record sleeves and music videos from this decade and I honestly can't think of a single striking or memorable image. Four old codgers photographed in black & white sat on a bench or stood in a field somewhere is probably the defining image of this decade. After all, it has been the decade in which almost everything they've put out has been "old school" U2 as opposed to their terrific exciting progressions throughout the 90s. A picture of a safe would be fairly appropriate, with Howie B, Nellee Hooper and the spirit of Brian Eno locked inside it fighting over a copy of Original Soundtracks 1. Unless "Songs Of Ascent" miraculously turns up next year and repairs a lot of this creative digression, then it's gonna be four old codgers in a black and white photo on any new Best Of sleeve.

10. I agree it's too early for yet ANOTHER compilation.

We've already had Best of 1980-1990, Best of 1990-2000 and U2:18 The Singles.

Both Beautiful Day and Stuck... were already on Best of 1990-2000.
  11. Edited the title and gave it a bump
  12. New opinions on the list?