1. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]Way better than the Killers? That's a big statement.
    The Killer's are one of the best new bands around and very creative, they've already covered a variety of genres in only 3 albums.

U2 covered a variety of genres in one. The Killers are the most overblown 'rockstars' (more like popstars) around.

2. U2 have been around for 30 years, you can't compare them.

But The Killers radically altered their sound on Sam's Town, that was a creative risk few mainstream bands would ever dream of taking with their second album.
    Especially when your debut album is something as massively successfull as Hot Fuss.

In comparision even U2's second album sounded largely like Boy.

And Brandon is a great singer (if not lyricist) has a unique voice that doesn't sound like all the other new alt rock bands. I'll admit he's a pompous twat at times though
  3. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

U2 have been around for 30 years, you can't compare them.

But The Killers radically altered their sound on Sam's Town, that was a creative risk few mainstream bands would ever dream of taking with their second album.
    Especially when your debut album is something as massively successfull as Hot Fuss.

In comparision even U2's second album sounded largely like Boy.

And Brandon is a great singer (if not lyricist) has a unique voice that doesn't sound like all the other new alt rock bands. I'll admit he's a pompous twat at times though

Haha, gotta love how easy you can turn a topic just in the way you like it and going waaaaayyyyyyy off-topic

4. It wasn't really Lyndon's fault, it was Drew and him in fact. Both.

Anyway, there's no problem of being offtopic sometimes, even for a long time, as long as the subjacent topic (Snow Patrol and their mainstream position, in this case) stays there.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

It wasn't really Lyndon's fault, it was Drew and him in fact. Both.

Anyway, there's no problem of being offtopic sometimes, even for a long time, as long as the subjacent topic (Snow Patrol and their mainstream position, in this case) stays there.

Thanks Sergio, I didn't think we were that off topic it's not like there was any on topic discussion going on either.

On an on-topic note I got Snow Patrols three latest albums and will listen to them over the next week. I had a listen to Chasing Cars and Signal Fire and I liked Chasing Cars a lot (is it their best song?) though it isn't exactly the most original indie/alternative rock song around, I didn't find Signal Fire memorable, but I only listened to it once so will see.

But if they have more songs of the quality of Chasing Cars then I could easily see them beating the likes of Muse in the younger band rankings.
  6. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Thanks Sergio, I didn't think we were that off topic it's not like there was any on topic discussion going on either.

On an on-topic note I got Snow Patrols three latest albums and will listen to them over the next week. I had a listen to Chasing Cars and Signal Fire and I liked Chasing Cars a lot (is it their best song?) though it isn't exactly the most original indie/alternative rock song around, I didn't find Signal Fire memorable, but I only listened to it once so will see.

But if they have more songs of the quality of Chasing Cars then I could easily see them beating the likes of Muse in the younger band rankings.

Chasing Cars is not their best to me. Difficult to judge, I might go for If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It or Open Your Eyes
  7. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

lol...I like Snow Patrol a lot but in what universe could they possibly be better than Muse?

8. I think Muse are overrated, sure they're different and interesting and all (but that doesn't always = good).

Their songs are over the top and Matt Bellamy's singing is wearisome. Why does he sing nearly every single chorus in that same annoying wail (even Thom Yorke has moved on from that).
    Furthermore he sings everything so seriously with such bombast, when the lyrics are actually quite silly
  9. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

I think Muse are overrated, sure they're different and interesting and all (but that doesn't always = good).

Their songs are over the top and Matt Bellamy's singing is wearisome. Why does he sing nearly every single chorus in that same annoying wail (even Thom Yorke has moved on from that).
    Furthermore he sings everything so seriously with such bombast, when the lyrics are actually quite silly

To me, Gary Lightbody always sings in the same vocal position while Matt Bellamy goes low and high and has a much more powerful voice. I agree that Snow Patrol's lyrics are more serious, in which they're similar to U2, but on the other hand, they certainly did not rock like hell when I saw them opening in Zagreb, while I'm sure Muse always put on a bloody sick show.
  10. Originally posted by yuri31:[..]

To me, Gary Lightbody always sings in the same vocal position while Matt Bellamy goes low and high and has a much more powerful voice. I agree that Snow Patrol's lyrics are more serious, in which they're similar to U2, but on the other hand, they certainly did not rock like hell when I saw them opening in Zagreb, while I'm sure Muse always put on a bloody sick show.

Snow Patrol aren't a rock like bell band. They did extremely well in Barcelona. Take back the city, eyes open, shut your eyes, you're all that I have. They had nearly mote rockets in a 45 minute set than U2 managed in 2 hours.

I'm not understanding the Muse comparisons.
  11. Originally posted by yuri31:[..]

Ok, Snow Patrol aren't as good as Muse, even though their easier to listen to.
    I listened to Open Your Eyes and its a good song, but pretty much identical to Chasing Cars which itself is similar to all the other indie rock type songs (eg. Forever Young etc.).

Muse are definitely more creative and make a hell lot more noise.
  12. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Ok, Snow Patrol aren't as good as Muse, even though their easier to listen to.
    I listened to Open Your Eyes and its a good song, but pretty much identical to Chasing Cars which itself is similar to all the other indie rock type songs (eg. Forever Young etc.).

Muse are definitely more creative and make a hell lot more noise.

Those 2 songs come from the same album so are bound to have similar sounds. Try their Final Straw album.