1. I'm slightly bored right now, so I was thinking of doing a new lyric-thingie lol
    So here is...

Bullet The Blue Sky
    As Bono points out in U2 By U2 this song shows us the American bombings in El Salvador. Bono was in El Salvador in that period and he describes what was going on there in this song. First I'll give you some background info about the Civil War in El Salvador (I used the Dutch translation).
    Since the time El Savador became an own country (It used to be a part of Mexico) it had a lot of trouble with dictators and small groups of people leading the country. Ever since they started the country was ruled by 'The Fourteen Family's'.
    However, in the late '70s the regular people in the country start to complain. They wanna rule the country, they want free elections and a word in the state's policy. The people start a group of communists, based on the ideas of Karl Markx. In 1979 a civil war starts between the governement and the communists. With the support of America a group of young officers manage to get rid of the governement and a new governement with Catholics, Social-democrats and communists is formed. However, this governement is not solid and in 1980 they decide to quit. Because America was afraid of the big Communism party in El Salvador becoming bigger, they decide to train the Salvadoran army and the police so they can carry on rulling the country. America gives them weapons, but they stay in the background, wise as they got from Vietnam. Until 1992 (!) there's a civil war going on between the (supported by America) army and the communists (the poor people, the farmers, the regular people).
    So, that's the background, that's what Bono has witnessed himself.
    And here are the lyrics:

In the howling wind comes a stinging rain
    See it driving nails into the souls on the tree of pain
    From the firefly, a red orange glow
    See the face of fear running scared in the valley below

Bono tries to set a great, "scary", atmosphere here. It's a dark war, there's a howling wind, and a stinging rain. I think the rain in this case are the bullets of the American guns. Those bullets are 'driving nails in the tree of pain', in other words: they're killing people. They don't only hurt physically, also emotionally they're painfull bullets.
    "A red orange glow". This is probably a fire, probably a fire in one of the Salvadoran bushes, right after a bomb fell out of a plane.
    The people in El Salvador mostly live around mountans. That's where the ground is best, that's where they can be a farmer. Mostly that's in a valley. The Salvadoran towns are all build in valley's, and that's where the fights were. So that's where the face of fear runs around.

Sky
    Sky
    Bullet the blue sky / Sky
    Bullet the blue sky / Sky
    Bullet the blue / Sky
    Bullet the blue / Sky

I think the chorus speaks for itsself.
    The bullets came out of the sky

In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum
    Jacob wrestled the angel and the angel was overcome
    You plant a demon seed, you raise a flower of fire
    See them burning crosses
    See the flames higher and higher

This is a very nice lyric right here: Jacob wrestled the angel and the angel was overcome.
    Jacob are the young officers that overcome the very first governement. The ones that created an unstable governement. The angels are the communists, the poor people who live on the farms. They were beaten by the Americans (Jacob). The Americans planted a demon seed to defeat the angel. So Bono is saying here that the Americans are devilish. The americans burned whole bushes, they burned the christians there, they burned the communsists there and the flames went higher and higher. What started as a small fight turned out to a big civil war. Lasting 12 years.

This guy comes up to me
    His face red like a rose on a thorn bush
    Like all the colours of a royal flush
    And he's peeling off those dollar bills
    Slapping them down
    One hundred, two hundred
    And I can see those fighter planes

Bono describes the things that happened in the little Salvadoran streets. A guy comes up to him...could be an American paying him for tips about where the communists are hiding?
    He pays a lot to Bono. Bono sees the fighter planes above him, while the man is peeling down his money.

Across the mud huts where the children sleep
    Through the alleys of a quiet city street
    You take the staircase to the first floor
    Turn the key and slowly unlock the door
    As a man breathes into a saxophone
    And through the walls you hear the city groan
    Outside it's America
    Outside it's America
    (America)

Bono walks trough a little Salvadoran town. Mud huts, that's where children are. They are also victims in this war. The city is quiet, waiting for the next air raid. Bono goes up to his appartement, plays the blues on some stereo. The city is asleep, and outside it's america. Getting ready for a new attack, waiting for the communists to give up.

Across the field you see the sky ripped open
    See the rain pour through the gaping wound
    Pounding the women and children
    Who run
    Into the arms
    Of America

On the outskirts of the town the sky gets ripped open, a new raid is starting. The "rain" (the bullets that is) is back. Woman and children get hit while running away. But it doesn't matter where they run to...cause America is everywhere. They have surrounded the town and kill every citizen in it. Because they want to make sure that no communist gets out there alive.

Hope you enjoyed
  2. This guy comes up to me

Slapping them down
    One hundred, two hundred

is about the president of the US at that time... refering to.
  3. Originally posted by dieder:This guy comes up to me

Slapping them down
    One hundred, two hundred

is about the president of the US at that time... refering to.

Oh, that sounds logical Thanks Dieder
    Mr. Ronald Reagan that is
  4. bump

this probably has to be if not, one of the best topics this forum features.

anyone?
  5. I wanna revisit Discothèque really quick though. Bono mentioned it's a riddle about love, so I'll give my two cents on it:

Discotheque

You can reach
    But you can't grab it
    You can hold it, control it
    No, you can't bag it

You can push
    But you can't direct it
    Circulate, regulate, oh no
    You cannot connect it

You can reach at love, possibly by telling someone how you feel. You can't grab love though since some could argue its "trying too hard". You can hold love, by living in it and enjoying it perhaps. Love could be controlled, as you yourself are in charge of who you talk to. You also, in a negative sense, can control it if you detox yourself from that person and see for yourself how it affects you. You can't bag love could mean you can't put limits around love. You can't package it up. Emotions change, after all, love being one of them. It could also mean you can't buy love, too.

You know you're chewing bubblegum
    You know what that is
    But you still want some
    You just can't get enough
    Of that lovie dovie stuff

Bubblegum is something sweet, maybe even satisfying to most people. Love is satisfying too. You know what that is...still want some could mean you know that love is the best feeling in the world, and you want to feel that too. You just can't get enough might be the feeling of loving someone, and them loving you back being your personal brand of bubblegum. To which I might add, gum is a good analogy since gum loses flavor, something out of our reach in a sense.

You get confused
    But you know it
    Yeah, you hurt for it, work for it, love
    You don't always show it

Love leaves people confused, since people make things complicated. Love being the most popular of complicated things. You hurt for it as in putting ourselves through emotional pain with love, working for it as in earning the love of another, the paycheck being your form of happiness in the end. Possibly another trying to buy love reference here. You don't always show it meaning the narrator could have a hard time showing love.

Let's go
    Let's go
    Let's go
    Discotheque

Let's go
    Let's go
    Discotheque

You're looking for the one
    But you know you're somewhere else instead
    You want to be the song
    Be the song that you hear in your head

Discothèque is a dancefloor, where people dance (duh). I've never been to a club, nor am I familar with how the club scene was at the time, but people do meet people at these types of places. Maybe this is why Bono says "you're looking somewhere else instead", possibly because trying to meet someone at a club is more of a physical rather than emotional feeling.

You look for love, but a lot of people look in the wrong places, hence why people say "love finds you." The song in our head is us loving someone else as they love us.

Love...Love...
    Love...Love...
    Love...

It's not a trick
    'Cause you can't learn it
    It's the way you don't pay, that's okay
    'Cause you can't earn it

You cannot learn love, it's a natural human emotion that we are gifted with. This falls with the saying "you can't help who you like". You can't earn it might be confusing with my explanation from earlier where I said you try to earn love. Well, yes, you can TRY to earn it, but it just never does happen. Maybe another can't buy someone love reference?

You know you're chewing bubblegum
    You know what that is
    But you still want some
    You just can't get enough
    Of that lovie dovie stuff

Let's go
    Let's go
    Discotheque

Go go
    Go go
    Discotheque

You're looking for the one
    But you know you're somewhere else instead
    You want to be the song
    Be the song that you hear in your head

Love...
    (You want heaven in your heart)
    (Heaven in your heart)
    (The sun, the moon, and the stars)

But you take what you can get
    'Cause it's all that you can find
    But you know there's something more
    Tonight, tonight, tonight

Sometimes people end up settling for someone else because they couldn't exactly find true love. Knowing there's something more is probably the doubt in the relationship.

Ha...ha...
    Ha...ha...
    Ha...ha...
    Ha...

(Boom Cha) (Boom Cha) Discotheque
    (I can't get, I can't, not enough)

Can't get enough of love as it provides some sort of natural high? Maybe...

The theme of not being able to buy love pops up a bit. While reading the lyrics I came up with a possible PopMart saying, "love is a shopping cart".
  6. (Boom Cha) (Boom Cha) Discotheque

Can't get enough of love as it provides some sort of natural high? Maybe...

Just because Bono says its a riddle about love doesn't mean that the entire song is necessarily a riddle. I think sometimes we as a fanbase overestimate Bono's songwriting- not to say that it is bad, but that songs can contain multiple approaches within writing sessions, and to look at a song from one single direction isn't doing it justice.

I agree with everything you've said up to this point- it makes perfect sense to me. What I always thought about at this point of the song, was that "LOVE"- a giant, 25-foot, potentially lemon shaped, party animal- comes crashing through the walls of the daylight and turns the entire game of love into a nighttime party. As it crashes through and stomps across the streets, it chants, "BOOM cha! BOOM cha! Discotheque!", as Bono looks up to it and confesses, "I can't get enough".

Just an interpretation
  7. Originally posted by markp91:[..]

'Small' would sound more logical indeed, fits better in the rest of the lyrics.
    Maybe he did it on purpose indeed
    I'd say you give your own interpretation on this
    BTW Nice to see you're back

You could think of it like you are born small but are you born smart?

No...because it's the luck of the draw (in this case, a lottery) to see whether you are smart. Regardless, winning a lottery doesn't make you small by default, but winning the lottery you might be seen as smart because you picked the right numbers.
  8. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

Just because Bono says its a riddle about love doesn't mean that the entire song is necessarily a riddle. I think sometimes we as a fanbase overestimate Bono's songwriting- not to say that it is bad, but that songs can contain multiple approaches within writing sessions, and to look at a song from one single direction isn't doing it justice.

Of course, all in good fun though, right?
  9. Nice to see some people interested in this old topic. I was actually thinking of reviving it, I was hoping to find the time to write up my interpretations of the NLOTH songs and post them here...but now that it's back in business already...well, I'll post some stuff when I have the time Great topic indeed, it was my favorite topic at the time.
    And the love riddle for discotheque works great, I think we discussed it before with Lady G, right?
  10. Hello Guys. It's so good to tune in to this topic again. the only problem is that it gets a bit addictive.
    Ali is great to hear from you.
    I am a bit of an occasional visitor which I regret 'cos I love this this site.
    OK, I dont want to waffle but just one small comment on Discotheque and that it that there are many layers to that song. It's about love, it's about religion and I think it's also about the singer who wants a hit record as well as singing about what really matters to him. Also it may be about drugs. I'm certainly no expert but it seems that 'Chewing bubble gum' could refer to a way of ingesting drugs. But maybe you could also interpret 'Chewing bubble gum' as singing songs which are just verbally giving out hot air and teenage trivia. OK, X Factor comes to mind if you like. The current battle for no 1 slot this Christmas is quite relevant to this song I think. Does Bono write a no 1 hit or a song with a deeper meaning that may just not bring home the success that he would like?

I am afraid that I can certainly not agree that we as U2 fans read too much into the song meanings. Very much the other way. I do not think that we have any idea just how intricate these songs really are. But the path of finding out is so very thrilling.

Happy Christmas All
    Lady G

P.S. - Berlin was a gem. But I wish that I had a better view.

11. "Wake Up Dead Man" appears to be a bit like "White As Snow." I think that it is Bono yelling at his "dead" soul during the choruses. This song represents POP the most clearly, losing yourself and what is true and making sure that what you have is real, not just "pop" that fades away.

I'd love to see what this leads to... Perhaps a proper appreciation of POP?