1. I really enjoyed your view on the lyrics Ali and I agee with you, but I'll write down my first impression, just to give us several views:

Get On Your Boots
    The future needs a big kiss
    Winds blows with a twist
    Never seen a moon like this
    Can you see it too?

U2 are gonna give the future a big kiss. 'Rock 2009' as they've stated before.
    When the wind blows with a twist it has some sort of Boomerang-effect, right? It suddenly changes direction. As they did now, a complete change from HTDAAB.
    The moon is always the same, everywhere: we have just one moon. But this song/album is so differently from other albums that they suddenly see a different moon. And Bono asks us if we see it too. Can we also hear the big difference?

Night is falling everywhere
    Rockets at the fun fair
    Satan loves a bomb scare
    But he won’t scare you

This has something to do with the style of the album. It's dark, with a lot of beautiful rockets in the sky. I do see this as fun rockets.
    U2 was 'accused' of dancing with the devil after they released AB, which was their last radical change of style. Some people really didn't like it and where 'scared' of U2's future. Now they have another change, again it's a scary one, but this time we won't be scared, cause we've been through this before (with 'we' I mean all the U2-fans)

Hey, sexy boots
    Get on your boots, yeah

'Bono is creating a character'. I believe I read that somewhere. When was the last time they used characters? ZooTV. What's on the ZooTV DVD? 'I know you like your popstars to be exciting so I bought these!' And Bono shows his golden boots.

You free me from the dark dream
    Candy floss ice cream
    All our kids are screaming
    But the ghosts aren’t real

Tough one...
    Bono could mean AB again by 'dark dream'. LIB, Acrobat, The Fly, UTEOTW, the dark side of the album. While the ice-cream could stand for songs like Zoo Station, EBTTRT, So Cruel, TTTYAATW and Horses: the happier songs.
    Again: everyone is scared (children in this case), but there's no reason to it. The ghosts aren't real, the music is not that scary.

Here’s where we gotta be
    Love and community
    Laughter is eternity
    If joy is real

That was back then: this is where we are now. This is the moment. It's all about this album: the past is the past.

You don’t know how beautiful
    You don’t know how beautiful you are
    You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?
    You don’t know how beautiful you are

The, btw awesome, chorus. This could be about Bomb, the last album. A reference to COBL: 'Oh, you look so beautiful tonight.' But the person/place Bono sang it for back then still doesn't seem to get it. In other words: Bono admits that HTDAAB wasn't such a hue succes as they wanted it to be, so they're giing it another try. To make the album they always wanted to make.

That’s someone’s stuff they’re blowing up
    We’re into growing up
    Women of the future
    Hold the big revelations

Bono tells us that the future is for the women. The past was for the man, in the future women will rule the world. 'We're growing up', women also get a chance now.

I got a submarine
    You got gasoline
    I don’t want to talk about wars between nations

A submarine is used in wars. Gasoline is where countries fight for in a loads of cases.
    But Bono is sick of Bono. He's done with talking politics. It's all about the music from now on...as, yes indeed, ZooTV.

Let me in the sound
    Let me in the sound, now
    God, I’m going down
    I don’t wanna drown now
    Meet me in the sound

The hiphop-part. U2 wants to rule their new sound, they want to be a part of the community which invented this sound (the hiphop-scene?). It was very hard for the guys to get hold of this sound: it felt as if they nearly drowned.

I think Ali's is more likely, but I hope you liked reading this!
  2. BUMP!
    NLOTH on the horizon has been here for a while now...and I think it's time to discuss some of it's lyrics
    And I would like to start with...
    Stand Up Comedy
    I got to stand up and take a step
    You and I have been asleep for hours
    I got to stand up
    The wire is stretched in between our two towers
    Stand up in this dizzy world
    Where a lovesick eye can steal the view
    I’m gonna fall down if I can’t stand up
    For your love

Okay, my first feeling about this song, when I looked at the lyrics for the first time, is that this is the song that Electrical Storm should've been. It's about America's War on Terror after 9/11. (And as Ali pointed out earlier, see above, GOYB could be about that too )
    Bono compares America to a married couple. The lovers have been asleep for hours - America has been asleep for years, in the way of national protection. America wasn't prevented against terrorism at all. And now, after 9/11, they have to stand up for themselves.
    Two towers: how obvious, the two towers of the World Trade Center if you ask me.
    America needs to stand up in this dizzy world, the world was a mess back then, especially in the Middle east region.
    A lovesick eye is blind, cause 'love is blindness'. In the fucked up world from back then even a blind man could see stuff were going the wrong way, that America would be threatened by terrorism soon.
    And America will go down if they don't stand up for themselves.

Stand up, this is comedy
    The DNA lottery may have left you smart
    But can you stand up to beauty, dictator of the heart
    I can stand up for hope, faith, love
    But while I’m getting over certainty
    Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady

Comedy is sarcastic here, it's not comedy at all.
    'The DNA lottery may have left you smart' is a nice lyric. Since 9/11 every saudic person is terrorist, everyone who looks like someone from the 'Evil side' is evil and will have problems getting a job and find friends. Even the smartest people are discriminated, even tough they only look different. Every 'normal' American is 'smart' here.
    America needs to stand up as I said in the first verse, but not become anti-foreigners. They need to stand up by giving love and hope. And they will get the same in return. The war on terror makes stuff even worse.
    The american gouvernement tries to spread democracy, capitalism and catholicism all over the world. They 'help God across the road like a little old lady', they're spreading the word of God in every country, while not every country enjoys that. They don't respect the islam and the Koran and try to get Catholicism in the Middle East. And according to Bono they should quit doing that...

Out from under your beds
    C’mon ye people
    Stand up for your love

Everyone needs to help to spread the love and hope. Be nice to islamic people, to foreigners and don't discriminate.

I gotta stand up to ego but my ego’s not really the enemy
    It’s like a small child crossing an eight lane highway
    On a voyage of discovery

Throw away your ego, be nice to 'terrorists'. Don't look down on them.
    But ego is not the only problem; the real problem is that people don't understand other cultures. They need to 'discover' the beauty of these cultures. Like a child needs to discover that a highway is dangerous.

Stand up to rock stars, Napolean is in high heels
    Josephine, be careful of small men with big ideas

I think Bono is playing a bit with himself here He's the Napoleon, he's the small man with big ideas
    He simply says here: you don't have to believe me (be careful of small......) but please listen (stand up to rock stars). I DO have a point.

God is love
    And love is evolution’s very best day

God never wanted a war to spread his ideas. God is love. Peace and love (or else )
    Love is the best thing we have, don't spoil it.

Soul rockin’ people moving on
    Soul rockin’ people on and on
    C’mon ye people
    We’re made of stars
    C’mon ye people
    Stand up then sit down for your love

People who rock in their soul move on, they forget about the past (9/11) and continue living without thinking about it. They give foregiveness to the foreigners that didn't do a thing.
    Stand up, then sit down: Spread love, than you can sleep soft, without having bad feelings.

Hope you enjoyed
  3. Bump...no feedback?
    Does this mean everyone agrees with me?
  4. Hold on LOL
  5. Question: ?
    The DNA lottery left you smart? or small?

I can't read the linear notes properly. Can you?

But then my eyesight is nor 100%.

Lady G.
  6. Originally posted by ladygodiva:Question: ?
    The DNA lottery left you smart? or small?

I can't read the linear notes properly. Can you?

But then my eyesight is nor 100%.

Lady G.

Smart, according to the lyric-page on this site
    But it's hard to read indeed
  7. I think that it's an intended twist by Bono. What do you think? Is he smart or is he small?
  8. OR Is he both???

9. 'Small' would sound more logical indeed, fits better in the rest of the lyrics.
    Maybe he did it on purpose indeed
    I'd say you give your own interpretation on this
    BTW Nice to see you're back
  10. Thank you for welcoming me back. I love this site but at the moment my eyes and ears are constantly looking out for what's going on with U2 on the BBC downloads etc and waiting for the tour news. I have the hotel reservation booked for Dublin 25th July and can only hope that the rumours are correct.\I think that flights will have to be sorted straight away. The rumours for last Friday in London paid off ok. It was 'magnificient'.
  11. Originally posted by ladygodiva:Thank you for welcoming me back. I love this site but at the moment my eyes and ears are constantly looking out for what's going on with U2 on the BBC downloads etc and waiting for the tour news. I have the hotel reservation booked for Dublin 25th July and can only hope that the rumours are correct.\I think that flights will have to be sorted straight away. The rumours for last Friday in London paid off ok. It was 'magnificient'.

Okay, cool
    I'll pray for you that they're playing Croke Park on the 25th indeed
  12. I can't thank you enough for your prayers. I will be at Croke Park on the 25th. But only on Monday will i know that your prayers have been answered.
    lady G.