1. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

19 for 22 songs once

Crazy!!
  2. If you're in the studio, it's good to think about every sound in every song you want to record - which guitar sound could fit? What amp and effects should I use? Which guitar could be the best fitting one?

On stage... we could argue about that. But if you're as big as U2 you can do what you want to, and someone behind the mixing desk will most likely make it sound okay. I doubt anyone's able to hear all the differences between all the guitars. All the subtle sound differences will get lost in the environment or the audience anyway - and these are the largest and therefore loudest audiences, halls and stadiums that anyone can get - just think about natural reverb or the distance between the open air speakers and the listener's ears. Personally, I think that one good Strat, one good Les Paul, one good Tele and one or two additional guitars (i.e. P-90 or Ricky) should be enough for every stage.

But of course, he's the Edge. He's the guitar player of the world's biggest band. He can do what he chooses to.

Alex
  3. I think Bono doesn't have to be a very proficient guitar player, as long as he can demonstrate his ideas for new music to his bandmates. He plays to them in the studioo, and they work out his (melodic) ideas into the songs. I think that is where he contributes most to the music, apart from the lyrics and singing of course.
  4. hey, don't forget he plays the harmonica.
  5. Originally posted by AlexIf you're in the studio, it's good to think about every sound in every song you want to record - which guitar sound could fit? What amp and effects should I use? Which guitar could be the best fitting one?

On stage... we could argue about that. But if you're as big as U2 you can do what you want to, and someone behind the mixing desk will most likely make it sound okay. I doubt anyone's able to hear all the differences between all the guitars. All the subtle sound differences will get lost in the environment or the audience anyway - and these are the largest and therefore loudest audiences, halls and stadiums that anyone can get - just think about natural reverb or the distance between the open air speakers and the listener's ears. Personally, I think that one good Strat, one good Les Paul, one good Tele and one or two additional guitars (i.e. P-90 or Ricky) should be enough for every stage.

But of course, he's the Edge. He's the guitar player of the world's biggest band. He can do what he chooses to.

Alex

I always thought the guitars were tuned different?
  6. Bono is a better guitar player than most seem to give him credit for. He is not a great guitar player but he is decent.

Danny Lanois and Brian Eno have both noted that Bono contributes alot and they like his guitar ideas.

Bono did play the piano part for "The Sweetest Thing" during the 2001 Elevation tour. And he's spoken of taking lessons over the past few years.
  7. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979Bono is a better guitar player than most seem to give him credit for. He is not a great guitar player but he is decent.

Danny Lanois and Brian Eno have both noted that Bono contributes alot and they like his guitar ideas.

Bono did play the piano part for "The Sweetest Thing" during the 2001 Elevation tour. And he's spoken of taking lessons over the past few years.
    i quite agree with you..... but i think it's normal for him to try to learn.... cause if music was my thing, my wonderfull gift, i would certainly try to learn as much as i could!! piano is one of the basics......and guitars are cool!! so i kind of think it's natural for everyone of them to try and explore....to want to learn even more!
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

19 for 22 songs once

It's unbelievable that he can use so many different guitars--not only that but that he uses multiple Strats, Teles and other models instead of sticking to one.

Do you happen to know which specific show/tour he used so many guitars on?
  9. Originally posted by Guenther[..]

I always thought the guitars were tuned different?

Not actually...they use just two tunings. The standard E and the Eb to make it easier to Bono to sing some songs. The reason for that many guitars is not the tuning, if it was, he could make the whole show with just two.

10. Originally posted by AAV711[..]

It's unbelievable that he can use so many different guitars--not only that but that he uses multiple Strats, Teles and other models instead of sticking to one.

Do you happen to know which specific show/tour he used so many guitars on?

It was an Elevation or Vertigo show. I heard this from an interview with Dallas so you know it's true. I'll have a look
  11. bump
  12. HEY!!! Who edited my topic's name?!!

Originally posted by germcevoybump

*sees gerard* ... ow...hey there officer! Lovely day, eh?!