1. Originally posted by DougielOne of the highlights in a few shows of the Joshua Tree tour was when Bono told the audience that Edge had been giving him guitar lessons because he wan't very good. He then asked for a member of the audience to come on stage and play a chord sequence during 'People Get Ready'. Priceless. Listen to the London soundboard of 12 June or Edinburgh from 1st August. There are others but these two should give you a flavour of what was happening.

their is the same thing while the song plays ''soutern man''

Its of poor qualitie but its the only on I heard
  2. i think bono is a great singer but it's better let the guitar parts to the edge, at least in the albums...
  3. Originally posted by Ali709... the video of him and Edge doing an acoustic version of The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Edge asks in the beginning "What key do you want" or something similar and Bono replies "What's a key?!" - tho I myself always saw that as a joke).
    Well, if oyu take a look to the Rattle And Hum movie, at the beggining of All Along The Watchtower he says Edge "Play it on key C... A major... A... " etc. So he actually knows what is a key. The fact is that he doesn't know HOW to play decently guitar, maybe he has never been teached.
  4. or maye he doesn't look really good because EDGE is playing beaside hime
  5. Originally posted by Martyor maye he doesn't look really good because EDGE is playing beaside hime

if you see the Staring At The Sun performances from PoPmart he plays the guitar quite well.
  6. Originally posted by thechicken[..]

if you see the Staring At The Sun performances from PoPmart he plays the guitar quite well.

also during WOWY during the JT tour. Honestly though, listen to his little piece he plays at the start of Running To Stand Still during the Boxing Day Point Depot show. Beautiful
  7. Originally posted by germcevoyalso during WOWY during the JT tour. Honestly though, listen to his little piece he plays at the start of Running To Stand Still during the Boxing Day Point Depot show. Beautiful
    Yep. I also do love the intro's of Stay in the late ZOO TV Tour. Awesome.
  8. bono himself once said " i want to play guitar very badly....and i do play very badly!"
    so i guess he's just an ordinary guitar player as i or anyone else could be.... though there might be some unknown awesome players out there!!!
  9. Originally posted by snitchbono himself once said " i want to play guitar very badly....and i do play very badly!"
    so i guess he's just an ordinary guitar player as i or anyone else could be.... though there might be some unknown awesome players out there!!!

well ... im sur Bono has little more talent then casual guitar players.
  10. Creative musical talent and charisma... yes, he does have. Songwriting talent, too. Guitar playing skills... that's another story. Everyone can learn to play a few chords that sound good when played in sequence. And since Bono's a professional, he can take time enough to practice what he has to perform on stage until he's able to play it fluently.

Even the Edge is IMHO not a technical guitar fastfinger or wizard. His playing is solid - not too bad, not too good. Of course he's not your average hobby guitarist - it's his profession. But his most important strength is his creativity. He invented (and still invents) styles and sounds that weren't heard before. There are a lot of better players out there, but not a lot of more creative players. The Edge definitely achieves great sounding results, even though his playing skill has certain limits.

Alex
  11. Originally posted by AlexCreative musical talent and charisma... yes, he does have. Songwriting talent, too. Guitar playing skills... that's another story. Everyone can learn to play a few chords that sound good when played in sequence. And since Bono's a professional, he can take time enough to practice what he has to perform on stage until he's able to play it fluently.

Even the Edge is IMHO not a technical guitar fastfinger or wizard. His playing is solid - not too bad, not too good. Of course he's not your average hobby guitarist - it's his profession. But his most important strength is his creativity. He invented (and still invents) styles and sounds that weren't heard before. There are a lot of better players out there, but not a lot of more creative players. The Edge definitely achieves great sounding results, even though his playing skill has certain limits.

Alex

I agree with you about the lack of creativity like The Edge. I mean, consider the fact that he uses so many different guitars in one show. Most rock guitarists use 3 or 4, not 10 or 15!
  12. Originally posted by easports43[..]

I agree with you about the lack of creativity like The Edge. I mean, consider the fact that he uses so many different guitars in one show. Most rock guitarists use 3 or 4, not 10 or 15!

19 for 22 songs once