1. Originally posted by JuJuman:My initial reaction was mixed. But after a few days with the song pretty much on repeat, I cannot but agree with this review:

https://www.google.at/amp/s/thomasbleach.com/2017/11/04/single-review-u2-get-out-of-your-own-way/amp/

I really, really like the song. Their strongest release in years. (And I thought EBW, Iris, and Reach me now had already set the bar pretty high.)

We *are* spoiled, as many have pointed out already. Band is sill at the top of its game, and they’re nearly pushing 60.
    True, we are spoiled, but "Top Of Their Game?" Perhaps if we compare them to others in their age group. The Stones only made one album of new material after 1999, which is roughly when they were U2's age. And I don't consider SOI to be the masterpiece everyone else does. Despite Paul McCartney having loads of poor tracks sprinkled on his solo albums, the last one, "New" is a good standard to set for aging acts.
  2. This one is stirring up absolutely nothing within me. It’s just bland and timid. It’s my least favourite type of U2 song, one that’s just U2. Decent enough to not be a bad song as such but so bland I can’t love it.

It’s just a bowl of pasta. Where’s the sauce?
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:This one is stirring up absolutely nothing within me. It’s just bland and timid. It’s my least favourite type of U2 song, one that’s just U2. Decent enough to not be a bad song as such but so bland I can’t love it.

I felt like this at first but it has really grown on me. Tedder is very limited in my opinion as a producer. They all sound pretty similar. He is all over every breaking wave and the bridge sounds similar to the bridge in counting stars. One song- fair enough- but i hope hes not on too many more (prefer jacknofe production eg american soul/ blackout).

On a broader note i dont like that producers are beginning to have such a big impact on how the songs sound. Eno and lanois helped them to sound like u2- but these produxers make them sound like themselves.

Anyway I digress...
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy:This one is stirring up absolutely nothing within me. It’s just bland and timid. It’s my least favourite type of U2 song, one that’s just U2. Decent enough to not be a bad song as such but so bland I can’t love it.

I love pasta alone when it's well done (I sometimes eat it alone, seriously). GOOYOW is a very well done bowl of pasta without sauce for me.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I love pasta alone when it's well done (I sometimes eat it alone, seriously). GOOYOW is a very well done bowl of pasta without sauce for me.
  6. Where's the video? Those images from Mexico looked very promising.
  7. Originally posted by AllBeacauseOfZoo:[..]
    I felt like this at first but it has really grown on me. Tedder is very limited in my opinion as a producer. They all sound pretty similar. He is all over every breaking wave and the bridge sounds similar to the bridge in counting stars. One song- fair enough- but i hope hes not on too many more (prefer jacknofe production eg american soul/ blackout).

On a broader note i dont like that producers are beginning to have such a big impact on how the songs sound. Eno and lanois helped them to sound like u2- but these produxers make them sound like themselves.

Anyway I digress...
    I see what you mean. But also disagree. These songs still sound very U2. I mean we have so many people on here crying “Invisible! Beautiful Day! Always!” Ryan Tedder has had nothing to do with those songs.

Also regarding his sound; I think he has sort of expanded a bit lately. If you listen to Beyoncé’s “Halo” and some of One Republic’s work around then they sound similar. Kelly Clarkson had a single around then too that was similar sounding and so did Adele.

I feel like One Republic became more than soaring ballads and have expanded their sound.
  8. I can't get enough of the solo, it saves the song for me.
    Mr Edge is such a tease.

It's a shame that electric guitar isn't more prominent in the first and second verses, it's a classic U2 conventional song though, with a new play on not going for the second chorus, but instead repeating the word Fight; regurgitating it back into the song (this is a real 2015+ thing to do, I've noticed a lot of songs do it these days) and proceeding on to the next verse.

The ultimate pay off is the solo, it's just a shame it's so short.
  9. Originally posted by germcevoy:This one is stirring up absolutely nothing within me. It’s just bland and timid. It’s my least favourite type of U2 song, one that’s just U2. Decent enough to not be a bad song as such but so bland I can’t love it.

Yeah it's pretty meh to me.....like, chips without salt.