1. It's almost two weeks since release and from what I can tell this song has disappeared from the general public faster than a fart in the wind. It's not even on the top 200 songs on iTunes.

I can only hope this further diminishes U2's wish to be "relevant" ... reading that interview with the Edge and him speaking to making song decisions in order to sound "contemporary" translates to me as "let's forget our instincts as a band of 40 years, and instead make decisions on what sounds contemporary."

Ignoring instincts and going for what is "contemporary" is how we get forgettable songs like this.
  2. It does, indeed, sort of sound like what a current band doing a U2 tribute might do. And it doesn't make my jaw fall on the floor in wonder like many of my favorite songs. But it's pleasant enough and I hope the rest of the new album is stronger.
  3. Originally posted by robotsandmonkeys:It's almost two weeks since release and from what I can tell this song has disappeared from the general public faster than a fart in the wind. It's not even on the top 200 songs on iTunes.

I can only hope this further diminishes U2's wish to be "relevant" ... reading that interview with the Edge and him speaking to making song decisions in order to sound "contemporary" translates to me as "let's forget our instincts as a band of 40 years, and instead make decisions on what sounds contemporary."

Ignoring instincts and going for what is "contemporary" is how we get forgettable songs like this.
    They need to do more promo.

And that is not how I take it at all. Sounding contemporary to me means you are exploring current sounds and trends and putting your stamp on it.
  4. best version, IMO
  5. Agreed. Which version is it?

In any event: compared to Windows, Magnificent, EBW, this is really kind of weak...
  6. Wtf was that last night?
  7. What's really annoying me lately is that in some of the interviews the band KEEP saying how because the album was more or less finished last year, they've had lots of time to make sure the songs work live before releasing them....emm I'm sorry but it's the complete opposite. The Best Things sounds like you've never rehearsed it, its so flat. It has the same impact as the Crystal ballroom had when they played it live for the first time (and this is a lead single!!). Like they've been sitting on that song for over a year. And playing that terrible acoustic version confirms that they don't know how to play it. Bono is putting more emphasis on what the lyrics mean than how the song actually sounds!!
  8. And let’s be honest, the lyrics are nothing to write home about either. Songs of Experience is shaping up to be a car crash from what we’ve heard so far.