1. Originally posted by georgemccauley:[..]

Hmm that's very interesting. I'd love to hear Breathe live in my very first U2 show next year. I wonder if they will consider rehearsing Breathe?
    No, not really
  2. I like Magnificent, but as Remy says, i'd rather they played Pop stuff.
  3. I just spoke to Bono. He told me that he couldn't remember anything about the album NLOTH

Breathe is fine...
  4. Originally posted by Jerry:I just spoke to Bono. He told me that he couldn't remember anything about the album NLOTH

Breathe is fine...
    I have something in my YT channel that denies him

5. And the fact that they played magnificent (altough in a remix version) that same day tells one otherwise too

I have nothing with or against NLOTH.
  6. Love MOS
  7. A lot of this has to do with the circumstances with the albums themselves. The poor sales in the US, and the half empty stadiums made U2 think something was wrong with Pop. Apparently listening to the album and judging it that way had little to do with if they liked it. So the lack of huge singles in the US, the subsequent failure of the tour suddenly transformed this awesome album they were so proud of in 1997 interviews into the self-described "Hangover" instead of the party as they said in 2009 interviews.
    And the songs from NLOTH played on 360 quickly got fewer and fewer as the album sold less than the last two, and had the wrong lead single. They never seemed to understand that music sales were going down in general and that touring would pretty much be it. Self-awareness seems to be really lacking with U2. I think Pop, NLOTH are both in a different universe than SOI, which they seem to think is some out of this world album. I like SOI, don't get me wrong, but it is quite ordinary compared to most of their albums. In fact, even though I think it is among their worst albums, being the worst U2 album is kind of like being the worst Big Bag of Cash, you can't really go wrong. I just wish they understood how great Pop is, and how very very good NLOTH is.
  8. Originally posted by pleasegone:A lot of this has to do with the circumstances with the albums themselves. The poor sales in the US, and the half empty stadiums made U2 think something was wrong with Pop. Apparently listening to the album and judging it that way had little to do with if they liked it. So the lack of huge singles in the US, the subsequent failure of the tour suddenly transformed this awesome album they were so proud of in 1997 interviews into the self-described "Hangover" instead of the party as they said in 2009 interviews.
    And the songs from NLOTH played on 360 quickly got fewer and fewer as the album sold less than the last two, and had the wrong lead single. They never seemed to understand that music sales were going down in general and that touring would pretty much be it. Self-awareness seems to be really lacking with U2. I think Pop, NLOTH are both in a different universe than SOI, which they seem to think is some out of this world album. I like SOI, don't get me wrong, but it is quite ordinary compared to most of their albums. In fact, even though I think it is among their worst albums, being the worst U2 album is kind of like being the worst Big Bag of Cash, you can't really go wrong. I just wish they understood how great Pop is, and how very very good NLOTH is.
    Apart from the fact I don't consider SOI to be one of the worst u2 albums, I think what you've said is spot on. I really don't get the negativity around pop, I like the album the way it is even though the band say it wasn't finished, for me the best of mix's weren't as good. NLOTH for me had most of the right ingredients except from as you say the wrong lead single, (I would have made it magnificent) in fact I would have ditched boots altogether for the album and had Mercy (original version) in there somewhere. Basically though as you say you can't go wrong with u2 but just wish the band would see the value of all there songs and not seem to forget or ditch some along the way.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Apart from the fact I don't consider SOI to be one of the worst u2 albums, I think what you've said is spot on. I really don't get the negativity around pop, I like the album the way it is even though the band say it wasn't finished, for me the best of mix's weren't as good. NLOTH for me had most of the right ingredients except from as you say the wrong lead single, (I would have made it magnificent) in fact I would have ditched boots altogether for the album and had Mercy (original version) in there somewhere. Basically though as you say you can't go wrong with u2 but just wish the band would see the value of all there songs and not seem to forget or ditch some along the way.
    I'll put both above SOI on the totem pole. It's just hard for them not to ditch some of them when you create a stage design/show reliant on choreographed cues built around certain songs that leave little room for variance. Plus, I sometimes think U2 have forgotten more of their songs than they remember.
  10. I miss the days when U2 would play whatever they wanted without worrying about visual cues and such. Prince suffered this disease, and then would get over it and be spontaneous again, and go back and forth from over rehearsed carbon copy shows to brilliant improv. I had not put in a Prince reference in a few weeks, so just wanted to let you all know I'm like Phil Collins, not dead yet lol.
  11. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    I'll put both above SOI on the totem pole. It's just hard for them not to ditch some of them when you create a stage design/show reliant on choreographed cues built around certain songs that leave little room for variance. Plus, I sometimes think U2 have forgotten more of their songs than they remember.
    Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head with the whole choreographed thing, as much as I enjoyed the tour I would prefer it to be a bit more spontaneous at times. And yeah they definitely would have to do a bit of searching and rehearsing for certain songs nowadays. I don't think they realise how many people at the shows are 'big' fans and would love to hear them open with zoo station one night then mofo the next just to catch us off guard then throw in a surprise encore opener like acrobat or discotheque , it only takes one or two tracks to transform a setlist.
  12. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head with the whole choreographed thing, as much as I enjoyed the tour I would prefer it to be a bit more spontaneous at times. And yeah they definitely would have to do a bit of searching and rehearsing for certain songs nowadays. I don't think they realise how many people at the shows are 'big' fans and would love to hear them open with zoo station one night then mofo the next just to catch us off guard then throw in a surprise encore opener like acrobat or discotheque , it only takes one or two tracks to transform a setlist.
    Unfortunately, we're all in the GA cheap seats. They have to keep the high dollar there-to-be-seen crowd in the corporate boxes entertained, too. It's the nature of the beast...