Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. Does anyone think we'll get any of the final 7 tracks on TJT for future tours or do we think this tour will signal the end of they songs being performed live. I can't see them revisiting after playing them night in, night out on this tour. Not that it's my wish I'd love to see a few of them turn up in the future .
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:Does anyone think we'll get any of the final 7 tracks on TJT for future tours or do we think this tour will signal the end of they songs being performed live. I can't see them revisiting after playing them night in, night out on this tour. Not that it's my wish I'd love to see a few of them turn up in the future .
    If any maybe Exit? That has been 'the' performance of the entire tour. His character would be great to include on the 30th Anniversary Tour of Zoo TV / Achtung Baby!
  3. Sorry to disagree with you, but if any are retired permanently after this tour, Exit will be #1 at the top of the list. The darkness with which they continue to play it demonstrates the very power of the song that the band no longer really condones...

I could see the usual suspects - Running to Stand Still, an extremely rare In God's Country, and One Tree Hill for AUS/NZ and other surprise times like in Chicago 2011 - all make returns to U2 sets before the end of their career.

I believe this is your last chance to hear Red Hill Mining Town, Trip Through, and Exit.

Mothers of the Disappeared is too political/meaningful of a song to ever count it completely out of a U2 set. It's the type of song they'll break out once every 10-15 years to make a statement with.
  4. Originally posted by MattG:Sorry to disagree with you, but if any are retired permanently after this tour, Exit will be #1 at the top of the list. The darkness with which they continue to play it demonstrates the very power of the song that the band no longer really condones...

I could see the usual suspects - Running to Stand Still, an extremely rare In God's Country, and One Tree Hill for AUS/NZ and other surprise times like in Chicago 2011 - all make returns to U2 sets before the end of their career.

I believe this is your last chance to hear Red Hill Mining Town, Trip Through, and Exit.

Mothers of the Disappeared is too political/meaningful of a song to ever count it completely out of a U2 set. It's the type of song they'll break out once every 10-15 years to make a statement with.
    I hope we get Exit in Australia for EI
  5. I think this tour may be the last time we see Red Hill Mining Town and Trip Through Your Wires. Every other song on the album is fair game to show up again at some point. I disagree about Exit being dropped for good because I see it a suitable replacement for Bullet The Blue Sky. Bullet prior to IE was used as political platform to talk about groups, entities, and governments, but never individuals. During IE, Bullet was used for the first time as a commentary on the nature of people as individuals, not as larger entities. Exit is a fantastic commentary on the nature of people as individuals and I hope they decide to use it as a pseudo-political song.
  6. Yeah, I agree, I think Exit will fit the themes of E+I very well. Maybe it's just wishful thinking by me, because I'd love to see it & haven't made it to a TJT show.
  7. Regarding Exit, in particular, I was just reading this Rolling Stone interview with Bono in its entirety for the first time (now that I've seen the show twice and don't need to worry about spoilers as before). He's got some fascinating stuff to say about the imagination behind the tour in general, especially the "third act" of the show that so many of us have criticized (myself included) for being disjointed and the band not quite settling in on songs/order for a while...but specifically his comments about Exit are really interesting. Maybe it's also because I'm delving into some more of Flannery O'Connor's short stories this summer that I had never read all the way through previously...

How did it feel to play "Exit" again?
    I had a lot of self-harm over the years playing that song. I was very glad not to play it for many years. I broke my shoulder. I got into some very dark places on the stage. I'd rather not step back into that song, but I found a way by thinking of where it came from and going back to the books I was reading at the time. I realized the real influence was probably Flannery O'Connor, so I developed this character called the Shadow Man and I'm managing to step into the shoes of the Shadow Man without any self-harm. It's quite a character. I'm actually using some lines from [the O'Connor book] Wise Blood. I also do "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," which we grew up with in Europe, a totally racist thing. The bit from Wise Blood is, "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going is never there. Where you are is no good unless you can get away from it." It's Southern Gothic, which is what I guess you'd call it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bono-on-joshua-tree-tour-trump-u2s-next-album-w484398
  8. Nice U2 glossy mag in today's Sunday World for anyone in Ireland
  9. Has anybody posted videos of the show u2 put on for the firemen?
  10. Are there any videos please bc I would like to see them please so which thread are they in bc I can find a particular thread saying firemen
  11. Cant